Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear glass cracked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving home this evening and noticed a crack in my rear glass. While I know this was a common issue, has anyone had luck with Tesla replacing the window that has window tint on it?

I just got it done last night and noticed the crack this morning. My fear is that they will claim the crack happened during tonite.

I was driving home this evening and noticed a crack in my rear glass. While I know this was a common issue, has anyone had luck with Tesla replacing the window that has window tint on it?

I just got it done last night and noticed the crack this morning. My fear is that they will claim the crack happened during tonite.

What type of tint did you put on it and how old is the car?

Great question.

Tesla will replace a broken tinted glass, however they won't replace it as a warranty item. ( Since someone else has touched it ).

The rear Glass is $475 and the labor is $150 plus tax.

Don't ask me how I know any of this.

All I can say is that having a $50 deductible on all glass replacement/repairs on my Gieco insurance policy has been phenomenal.

Lastly....keep in mind that Tesla does not deal with insurance companies yet...sooo...I had to come up with the money to pay Tesla ( non cash ) and then Gieco reimbursed me.

Great question.

Tesla will replace a broken tinted glass, however they won't replace it as a warranty item. ( Since someone else has touched it ).

The rear Glass is $475 and the labor is $150 plus tax.

Don't ask me how I know any of this.

All I can say is that having a $50 deductible on all glass replacement/repairs on my Gieco insurance policy has been phenomenal.

Lastly....keep in mind that Tesla does not deal with insurance companies yet...sooo...I had to come up with the money to pay Tesla ( non cash ) and then Gieco reimbursed me.

I’ve seen other people have to pay $1000-1500

Tesla. But maybe that was the windshield. One would expect the rear glass to be more since it is larger but maybe the windshield has special stuff in it for the cameras.

Tesla only has one price for the rear window. $465 or so. The price does not fluctuate from state to state which would mean that there were either some extra labor costs charged or Tesla did some other work.

My Model-3 is in *now* for service to get the rear glass replaced. I have no after-market tinting, and it appeared to have been caused by a stress. We did not debate about the cause, they just accepted my report (we noticed it over the passover holiday when the car wasn't being used). The lady at the service center said she used to get them more frequently. There were several cars last week waiting for rear-glass replacement (I was told, because they were waiting for the glass parts). They are targetting to get everything done same day, but it requires an overnight stay for curing.

Cracked my front windshield not the back however it was a pretty straight forward repair. A rock hit my windshield and a small chip turned into a long crack in about 3 weeks. Made the appt with Tesla which was about 5 weeks out. Called my Service Center and asked if they had anything sooner considering the crack was getting bigger and I, as a concerned parent ;), did not want to wait that long especially with my 3 year old in the car. They magically found a much sooner appt and was told they would order the windshield now so that by the time my appt came, they would already have it ready for me. Took about 2 days for them to replace my windshield which they gave me a loaner for.... besides having to pay the $1k out of pocket...pretty easy experience.

• Helpful
Reactions: mswlogo
Stoped in at my local SC yesterday. It appears this is a common problem with the glass. I was told it was an issue with the connected defroster lines getting too hot and causing the glass to crack. This explains why it cracked it multiple places. Getting it replaced when they get the glass in stock

• Informative
Reactions: Tron 3
Stoped in at my local SC yesterday. It appears this is a common problem with the glass. I was told it was an issue with the connected defroster lines getting too hot and causing the glass to crack. This explains why it cracked it multiple places. Getting it replaced when they get the glass in stock

This is going to be an expensive proposition for Tesla. Assuming the glass cracks on 25-30% of cars in the United States where is regular snowfall. In 2018 alone, Tesla sold 138,000 Model 3 vehicles in the US alone, of which ~40,000 may have glass problems (according to my highly scientific aerial extraction.) At the cost of $465 for the glass and $400 in labor costs (another extraction), plus customer transportation costs we're looking at ~$1000 of losses per vehicle for a total of $40,000,000 USD.

This may not seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things, but if you figure into this cost the amount of negative press regarding glass problems (Consumer Reports + Existing Customers) that could have been better directed to positive press and activity on social media (both Tesla and Customer Generated) = additional missed opportunity and sales (with only 1000 lost Model 3 sales) that might have otherwise gone Tesla which easily translates into another $40-60M in losses.

This is a costly mistake that could have cost Tesla a total of 100 million dollars. Seems like doing critical Winter testing would have paid off nicely. Even if Tesla missed this in its analysis, Tesla could have provided (on a temporary basis) ten to twenty cars (free or on a reduced loan) to a handful of testers in the coldest states for feedback.

This is going to be an expensive proposition for Tesla. Assuming the glass cracks on 25-30% of cars in the United States where is regular snowfall. In 2018 alone, Tesla sold 138,000 Model 3 vehicles in the US alone, of which ~40,000 may have glass problems (according to my highly scientific aerial extraction.) At the cost of $465 for the glass and $400 in labor costs (another extraction), plus customer transportation costs we're looking at ~$1000 of losses per vehicle for a total of $40,000,000 USD.

This may not seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things, but if you figure into this cost the amount of negative press regarding glass problems (Consumer Reports + Existing Customers) that could have been better directed to positive press and activity on social media (both Tesla and Customer Generated) = additional missed opportunity and sales (with only 1000 lost Model 3 sales) that might have otherwise gone Tesla which easily translates into another $40-60M in losses.

This is a costly mistake that could have cost Tesla a total of 100 million dollars. Seems like doing critical Winter testing would have paid off nicely. Even if Tesla missed this in its analysis, Tesla could have provided (on a temporary basis) ten to twenty cars (free or on a reduced loan) to a handful of testers in the coldest states for feedback.
MA Tesla owners won’t be a burden on Tesla. We have comprehensive coverage which covers all the glass on the car with the exception of the mirrors. I spoke with my agent yesterday to confirm this.

Reactions: GolanB