TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear glass cracked

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Kkubo12, May 7, 2019.

1. GolanB

GolanB Supporting Member

Maybe - But a smart bean counter at your insurance company who might be filing over a million dollars in glass claims might determine that these were due to manufacturer defects and go after Tesla directly. Insurance companies have a tendency to look for funding sources, including other Insurance companies and manufacturers.

• Like x 2
  2. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

Bummer. Just found mine had cracked. I have not used rear defogger probably in months. No tint. No snow in months. No chips.

I do have rear sun shade though. Wondering if it built up heat between glass and shade. But I always crack my windows on sunny days and park in a mostly shady spot. Also not all that hot or cold past couple weeks and I’m sure I would have noticed it in the last couple of weeks.

Any one know if the glass in the back is two layers? I cannot feel the crack. Almost tempted to leave it. Not sure if Rear Defog is affected yet. Worried they will do more harm than the crack. Can I get them to preorder the glass.

[​IMG]

3. Skione65

Skione65 Active Member

@mswlogo,

What is going on with Tesla’s glass??? This is crazy. On another note this is quite disconcerting as I literally just received my overhead and rear sunscreens, haven’t even put them in yet...and now I see this. I’m not sure if the sunscreen itself would have caused heat buildup to cause this alone without some underlying stress crack or something to begin with. But concerning nonetheless. You don’t even have rear tint do you?
    Let us know what Tesla says about coverage under warranty.

Ski

4. mswlogo

I really doubt it’s the sun screen. And there have been plenty of other stress cracks without sun screens. But I just gave full disclosure.

5. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

Bingo. The answer is - it depends on where you live. Some states, like Florida, require glass to be covered by insurance without raising your rates.

• Informative x 1
  6. Skione65

Skione65 Active Member

M
    @mswlogo,

Sees like an ongoing issue/concern:

Replacing Rear Glass after Stress Crack Formed

Ski

7. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

Yes, the glass is two laminated layers, just like a windshield. According to the shop manager at the Safelite store that just replaced my rear glass, it’s safe to drive with one layer cracked.

• Like x 1
  8. mswlogo

Thanks

Do you know if Safelite (or other glass shops) can do a Tesla Warranty repair or can only Tesla do that?

9. hcdavis3

hcdavis3 HCD3

Bummer msw. What’s the build date of your car?

10. hcdavis3

hcdavis3 HCD3

We have comprehensive here in MA msw. I talked to my agent Friday and she said the only glass that’s not covered is the mirrors.

11. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

I don’t know. I presume a warranty claim would need to go through Tesla first for approval.

12. SJC3

SJC3 Member

We see way too many glass issues on the forums to let Tesla off the hook here.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  13. Words of HABIT

GolanB,
    Your M3 rear glass cracks and Khubo12 advised he was told (by someone) it was an issue with the connected defroster lines getting too hot and causing the glass to crack. So from your own personal experience and a single unsubstantiated post, you determine $100 million loss for Tesla. Sorry if I don't understand your logic.

14. mswlogo

For the record mine didn’t crack from defroster. Have not run it in months and it cracked probably this weekend. Or surely within the last couple weeks.

15. mswlogo

I believe it was 9/18.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Can't they just raise rates for all Model 3's? They may not raise them for the individual folks who make claims or multiple claims, but you can bet that for vehicles w/higher claims in terms of $ amount for a given time period will have high insurance.

• Like x 1
  17. hcdavis3

hcdavis3 HCD3

This is interesting and a bit worrisome. My car is July 2018. I’m curious as to whether your glass is the problem or if something during production Hell last year is the problem. Let us know how you make out with your insurance company, hopefully your comprehensive coverage will pay for the replacement.

18. mswlogo

I hope Tesla pays for it. No plans to call insurance company. It’s obviously a defect of some sort. I’m pretty sure it’s broken on the inside layer.

19. Skione65

Skione65 Active Member

@mswlogo,

Let us know what Tesla says and the outcome. My car is Sept. 2018. Must be broken on the inside if you can’t feel the crack in the exterior. Can you feel it from the inside?

Ski

20. mswlogo

Just an update.

Scheduled an appt at one service center Early June (not to bad) and tried to call to confirm parts will be there and warranty. No answer.

Called another service center (almost same distance) and they answered and asked I send pictures. Switched appt to them. And it’s next Monday!

Got text message next morning asking for pictures to assure they have correct parts ready. They had not seen email yet. Replied with pictures and said they have it in stock. Also confirmed they found the email. But they need to see it to confirm warranty. After going back and forth explaining that I believe it’s inside and therefore must be a defect they agreed there should be no problem.

They also said it could be done same day!