Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear glass cracked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MA Tesla owners won’t be a burden on Tesla. We have comprehensive coverage which covers all the glass on the car with the exception of the mirrors. I spoke with my agent yesterday to confirm this.

Maybe - But a smart bean counter at your insurance company who might be filing over a million dollars in glass claims might determine that these were due to manufacturer defects and go after Tesla directly. Insurance companies have a tendency to look for funding sources, including other Insurance companies and manufacturers.

Reactions: SJC3 and hcdavis3
Bummer. Just found mine had cracked. I have not used rear defogger probably in months. No tint. No snow in months. No chips.

I do have rear sun shade though. Wondering if it built up heat between glass and shade. But I always crack my windows on sunny days and park in a mostly shady spot. Also not all that hot or cold past couple weeks and I’m sure I would have noticed it in the last couple of weeks.

Any one know if the glass in the back is two layers? I cannot feel the crack. Almost tempted to leave it. Not sure if Rear Defog is affected yet. Worried they will do more harm than the crack. Can I get them to preorder the glass.

40868178373_25fd9c1e17_h_d.jpg

@mswlogo,

What is going on with Tesla’s glass??? This is crazy. On another note this is quite disconcerting as I literally just received my overhead and rear sunscreens, haven’t even put them in yet...and now I see this. I’m not sure if the sunscreen itself would have caused heat buildup to cause this alone without some underlying stress crack or something to begin with. But concerning nonetheless. You don’t even have rear tint do you?
Let us know what Tesla says about coverage under warranty.

Ski

@mswlogo,

What is going on with Tesla’s glass??? This is crazy. On another note this is quite disconcerting as I literally just received my overhead and rear sunscreens, haven’t even put them in yet...and now I see this. I’m not sure if the sunscreen itself would have caused heat buildup to cause this alone without some underlying stress crack or something to begin with. But concerning nonetheless. You don’t even have rear tint do you?
Let us know what Tesla says about coverage under warranty.

Ski

I really doubt it’s the sun screen. And there have been plenty of other stress cracks without sun screens. But I just gave full disclosure.

M
Bummer. Just found mine had cracked. I have not used rear defogger probably in months. No tint. No snow in months. No chips.

I do have rear sun shade though. Wondering if it built up heat between glass and shade. But I always crack my windows on sunny days and park in a mostly shady spot. Also not all that hot or cold past couple weeks and I’m sure I would have noticed it in the last couple of weeks.

Any one know if the glass in the back is two layers? I cannot feel the crack. Almost tempted to leave it. Not sure if Rear Defog is affected yet. Worried they will do more harm than the crack. Can I get them to preorder the glass.

@mswlogo,

Sees like an ongoing issue/concern:

Replacing Rear Glass after Stress Crack Formed

Ski

Yes, the glass is two laminated layers, just like a windshield. According to the shop manager at the Safelite store that just replaced my rear glass, it’s safe to drive with one layer cracked.

Reactions: mswlogo

Bummer msw. What’s the build date of your car?

We have comprehensive here in MA msw. I talked to my agent Friday and she said the only glass that’s not covered is the mirrors.

This is going to be an expensive proposition for Tesla. Assuming the glass cracks on 25-30% of cars in the United States where is regular snowfall. In 2018 alone, Tesla sold 138,000 Model 3 vehicles in the US alone, of which ~40,000 may have glass problems (according to my highly scientific aerial extraction.) At the cost of $465 for the glass and $400 in labor costs (another extraction), plus customer transportation costs we're looking at ~$1000 of losses per vehicle for a total of $40,000,000 USD.

This may not seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things, but if you figure into this cost the amount of negative press regarding glass problems (Consumer Reports + Existing Customers) that could have been better directed to positive press and activity on social media (both Tesla and Customer Generated) = additional missed opportunity and sales (with only 1000 lost Model 3 sales) that might have otherwise gone Tesla which easily translates into another $40-60M in losses.

This is a costly mistake that could have cost Tesla a total of 100 million dollars. Seems like doing critical Winter testing would have paid off nicely. Even if Tesla missed this in its analysis, Tesla could have provided (on a temporary basis) ten to twenty cars (free or on a reduced loan) to a handful of testers in the coldest states for feedback.
GolanB,
Your M3 rear glass cracks and Khubo12 advised he was told (by someone) it was an issue with the connected defroster lines getting too hot and causing the glass to crack. So from your own personal experience and a single unsubstantiated post, you determine $100 million loss for Tesla. Sorry if I don't understand your logic.

GolanB,
Your M3 rear glass cracks and Khubo12 advised he was told (by someone) it was an issue with the connected defroster lines getting too hot and causing the glass to crack. So from your own personal experience and a single unsubstantiated post, you determine $100 million loss for Tesla. Sorry if I don't understand your logic.

For the record mine didn’t crack from defroster. Have not run it in months and it cracked probably this weekend. Or surely within the last couple weeks.

Bingo. The answer is - it depends on where you live. Some states, like Florida, require glass to be covered by insurance without raising your rates.
Can't they just raise rates for all Model 3's? They may not raise them for the individual folks who make claims or multiple claims, but you can bet that for vehicles w/higher claims in terms of $ amount for a given time period will have high insurance.

Reactions: mswlogo
I believe it was 9/18.
This is interesting and a bit worrisome. My car is July 2018. I’m curious as to whether your glass is the problem or if something during production Hell last year is the problem. Let us know how you make out with your insurance company, hopefully your comprehensive coverage will pay for the replacement.

This is interesting and a bit worrisome. My car is July 2018. I’m curious as to whether your glass is the problem or if something during production Hell last year is the problem. Let us know how you make out with your insurance company, hopefully your comprehensive coverage will pay for the replacement.

I hope Tesla pays for it. No plans to call insurance company. It’s obviously a defect of some sort. I’m pretty sure it’s broken on the inside layer.

@mswlogo,

Let us know what Tesla says and the outcome. My car is Sept. 2018. Must be broken on the inside if you can’t feel the crack in the exterior. Can you feel it from the inside?

Ski

Just an update.

Scheduled an appt at one service center Early June (not to bad) and tried to call to confirm parts will be there and warranty. No answer.

Called another service center (almost same distance) and they answered and asked I send pictures. Switched appt to them. And it’s next Monday!

Got text message next morning asking for pictures to assure they have correct parts ready. They had not seen email yet. Replied with pictures and said they have it in stock. Also confirmed they found the email. But they need to see it to confirm warranty. After going back and forth explaining that I believe it’s inside and therefore must be a defect they agreed there should be no problem.

They also said it could be done same day!