Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear glass tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model 3 on January 2020. It has a tint on all 4 side windows and the back glass. But the tint from the back glass doesn't cover the whole thing.

I called a professional tint shop and asked if they can remove the tint and put a new tint in one piece all the way to the roof glass. They said yes and they want to charge $70 for removal.

My concern is the defroster / defogger of the back glass might break or peal off while removing the tint.

What do you guys think?

Screenshot_20200715-225445.jpg

I'm facing the same dilemma with mine. I got the car in Dec '19 and got the back window tint in January, but it was one single piece. However, there was some permanent white distortion and I'm trying to get that fix now. The shop said they can remove and do a free replacement, but there's a potential for the rear defrost lines to get damage. They said they wouldn't cover the damage, which I find ridiculous because they were the ones who did not properly install it in the first place.

Anyways, I called almost a dozen other shops to confirm and some said it's a gamble, while others said there's a possibility but it's low if the tinter is experience and can properly apply the heat to remove it.

I made a post asking if any one within the SunTek CXP back window has the same issue as I, because if they do, I can chalk it up as a defect with the tint itself and will leave it as is. However, I haven't gotten confirmation yet.

Anyone with a SunTek CXP 1-piece back window tint?

I got my Model 3 on January 2020. It has a tint on all 4 side windows and the back glass. But the tint from the back glass doesn't cover the whole thing.

I called a professional tint shop and asked if they can remove the tint and put a new tint in one piece all the way to the roof glass. They said yes and they want to charge $70 for removal.

My concern is the defroster / defogger of the back glass might break or peal off while removing the tint.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 565049

Had my rear glass tinted...had 2 bubles.

Had my rear tint removed. Took off defroster lines.

20200416_131009.jpg
20200416_131009.jpg

Tesla charges over $700 for rear window replacement - defrost lines aren't repairable.

Tint company very apologetically paid for new window and new tint. Now its perfect.

Had my rear glass tinted...had 2 bubles.

Had my rear tint removed. Took off defroster lines.

View attachment 565395 View attachment 565395

Tesla charges over $700 for rear window replacement - defrost lines aren't repairable.

Tint company very apologetically paid for new window and new tint. Now its perfect.
Those lines easily repairable, google permatex rear window defogger fix. But since it’s shop responsibility it’s good they replaced whole thing