Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Grinding Noise On Hard Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 Model S (Nov 2020 build) with 21in tires. I've been experiencing a grinding noise from the rear everytime I accelerate hard to semi-hard. It almost sounds like gears grinding against each other. Anyone experience something similar and is this a reason to schedule a SC appointment?

Is your car stock? Does it happen at all speeds under heavy acceleration, or is it more prominent accelerating hard from low speeds? Can you record the sound?
Car is stock. I do not notice it under normal acceleration or lower speeds. Only really notice it under heavy acceleration, taking off fast from a signal light, trying to pass fast on the highway, etc. I can try recording the sound, may not come out too clear. It is definitely coming from the rear of the vehicle however. At first I thought it was my tires grinding against the wheel wells as the rear of the car lowers upon hard acceleration but I haven't modified the suspension so not sure why a stock car with stock wheel setup would grind.

2021 Model S (Nov 2020 build) with 21in tires. I've been experiencing a grinding noise from the rear everytime I accelerate hard to semi-hard. It almost sounds like gears grinding against each other. Anyone experience something similar and is this a reason to schedule a SC appointment?
I have 2020 MS Long Range Plus with the exact same problem. I get the same grinding noise under the same conditions as you have. Was the service center able to fix it?

I have 2020 MS Long Range Plus with the exact same problem. I get the same grinding noise under the same conditions as you have. Was the service center able to fix it?

I tried a handful of times to make an appointment at my local SC but they were unable to provide me with a loaner. I own multiple businesses and need a daily driver. I've put it off for the time being. The noise is still there to this day but happy to report, it hasn't gotten louder, worse or affected any other attribute of the car.

I tried a handful of times to make an appointment at my local SC but they were unable to provide me with a loaner. I own multiple businesses and need a daily driver. I've put it off for the time being. The noise is still there to this day but happy to report, it hasn't gotten louder, worse or affected any other attribute of the car.
Thanks for the update. The noise has been fairly consistent when I hear it. I have taken it into the SC but they were not able to duplicate it. It's been 6 months and I'm taking it back to the SC next week for another try. I have a short video with sound while I accelerate to show them.