Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch glass heat rejecting tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies for yet another tint thread. I'm going to tint the front and rear side windows with 70% 3M Crystalline, as I've done with my other vehicles. However the rear hatch of the MY is kind of tough to see through even without any more tint, due to the angulation making the aperture seemingly very narrow and short.

I do want to maximize my Total Solar Heat Rejection (TSER) factor, since I live in the Sierra Foothills and it's freaking 110° here in the summers. My questions are:
1) Does the rear hatch glass already have heat rejection glass the way the roof does? Or is it just dyed glass like the rear side windows?
2) Do those of you who have a 70% tint on the rear glass have any issues seeing out of the rear hatch through your rear view mirror during the day or at night, especially during the day when you're wearing sunglasses already?

Thanks!

I don't think the rear has heat rejection but I could be wrong on that and don't have any data/sources to back that up...

That said, I have 20% on my rear glass and can see just fine out the back without any issues whatsoever - day or night. 70% is basically clear (factory "clear" glass usually clocks in at 70% anyways) so I can't imagine that will hinder the visibility out the back in any noticeable way at all. The only concern I might possibly have (and this is a bit of a stretch) would be due to the angle, you might end up having a little bit of a distorted view? But I don't think that distortion would be noticeable unless you were full-on staring out the back to try and identify it. And it might also depend on the type/brand of tint you get (newer carbon tints tend to have more distortion at an angle). Chances are if you're just glancing out the back thru the rear view mirror to check for headlights, it will be absolutely fine.

For what it's worth, I have 70% on my entire front windshield and I love it. The heat rejection is very noticeable when you do the front windshield. Visually, I barely notice it's there. Everyone who rides in the car has no idea it's tinted until I say something. The install on mine wasn't the best so I do see a tiny ripple across one part of the windshield if I look at just the right angle (but that's due to the poor install). Also if I look very closely, with just the right light, things can sometimes look ever so slightly distorted, but I'm one of those people who have a very critical eye and notice very small details. Will be completely unnoticeable to 90% of people probably.

Last edited:
Appointment for tomorrow with the XPEL dealer for all around including windshield for their Ceramic XR Plus. They've worked on many Tesla's and confirmed that only the roof glass in IR treated.
Thank you for that report. I'm going to schedule our car to have 70% 3M Crystalline installed on the front and rear side windows, and the rear hatch.

I added a solar mesh material screen to the roof today, and that has already made a noticeable difference. I also got a front windshield screen for when the car is parked. That should help keep the steering wheel from frying. It's going to get up to 110° here this week!

Thank you for that report. I'm going to schedule our car to have 70% 3M Crystalline installed on the front and rear side windows, and the rear hatch.

I added a solar mesh material screen to the roof today, and that has already made a noticeable difference. I also got a front windshield screen for when the car is parked. That should help keep the steering wheel from frying. It's going to get up to 110° here this week!

I highly recommend you do 70% on the windshield as well, especially if you have the need to use the screen. The tint alone will probably net you a similar or better result as you would get with the screen (because most films block 95%+ of infrared heat), except it will work even while driving and requires no manual intervention! It's clear to the naked eye but does wonders for heat rejection, especially for the steering wheel and front seats. Other than the roof, the windshield is the largest single piece of glass so when untreated, it lets in/out a ton of heat.

You know how when you're driving and the sun is beating down on you but only on one side? Then you get out and half your arm is burnt from the direct sunlight the entire drive? Tinting the windshield (in addition to the other windows) solves this completely. You'll still get sunlight beaming down on you which is great - but it won't feel like someone is roasting you with a magnifying glass/laser beam on your arm and you won't get sunburnt at all. It's honestly a weird sensation if you're not used to it... it's like bathing in cold sunlight!

Cooling the car is significantly faster and more efficient with the windshield tinted as well (even compared to just tinting the rear/sides only).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyberspeed
Does tint on the rear hatch cause any distortion around the defroster lines?
Not that I've noticed. I haven't sat in the trunk and looked specifically for those issues but from regular usage as viewed from the driver's seat, I've not perceived any distortion issues like that.

Honestly, that window is so small and when you're seeing out the rear view mirror... the bouncing up and down of the car and minor rattling of the mirror probably causes more of a "distortion" than anything the film will do.

That said, it might also depend on the type of film and quality of install. My rear window was installed fine and was a high quality ceramic (Xpel XR) film.

I highly recommend you do 70% on the windshield as well if you're using the screen. The tint alone will probably net you a similar or better result as you would get with the screen (because most films block 95%+ of infrared heat), except it will work even while driving and requires no manual intervention! It's clear to the naked eye but does wonders for heat rejection, especially for the steering wheel and front seats. Other than the roof, the windshield is the largest single piece of glass so when untreated, it lets in/out a ton of heat.

You know how when you're driving and the sun is beating down on you but only on one side? Then you get out and half your arm is burnt from the direct sunlight the entire drive? Tinting the windshield (in addition to the other windows) solves this completely. You'll still get sunlight beaming down on you which is great - but it won't feel like someone is roasting you with a magnifying glass/laser beam on your arm and you won't get sunburnt at all.

Cooling the car is significantly faster and more efficient with the windshield tinted as well (even compared to just tinting the rear/sides only).
Agreed! I realized the hard way that tinting windshield is a must! The glare and the skin burns were pretty evident from Florida heat.

I highly recommend you do 70% on the windshield as well, especially if you have the need to use the screen. The tint alone will probably net you a similar or better result as you would get with the screen (because most films block 95%+ of infrared heat), except it will work even while driving and requires no manual intervention! It's clear to the naked eye but does wonders for heat rejection, especially for the steering wheel and front seats. Other than the roof, the windshield is the largest single piece of glass so when untreated, it lets in/out a ton of heat.

You know how when you're driving and the sun is beating down on you but only on one side? Then you get out and half your arm is burnt from the direct sunlight the entire drive? Tinting the windshield (in addition to the other windows) solves this completely. You'll still get sunlight beaming down on you which is great - but it won't feel like someone is roasting you with a magnifying glass/laser beam on your arm and you won't get sunburnt at all. It's honestly a weird sensation if you're not used to it... it's like bathing in cold sunlight!

I would love to tint the windshield, but alas I'm in California, and the highway patrol does not allow the windshield to be tinted at all. Even at the 70% level it's noticeable enough for them to stop you and write you a ticket. Also since I wear polarized sunglasses, I'm worried that I'll see weird polarization effects through the windshield. I have 3M Crystalline on my other vehicles and I do notice the polarization effect.

Ahh sorry to hear it! It's interesting how Cali doesn't allow tint - but I always see the most extreme tint jobs coming out of Cali. The only other US locations that probably could use tint more would be Texas or Florida! It's a shame they don't allow it. You're of course welcome to do whatever you're comfortable with but I do want to point out a couple things:

1) 70% is roughly the same percentage as non-tinted glass coming from the factory (slight % variances depending on brand but Tesla front glass clocks in at ~70% factory). Adding this to a windshield will not make a perceptible difference. Truthfully, I don't think any cop will be able to tell the difference without a meter unless they're lying and fishing for you to admit you've tinted.
2) highway patrol cannot test your windshield - their meters are like a C-clamp style thing so it can only go over windows, not windshield. If you're getting pulled over for tint it'll be because of your other windows.
3) I'm using Xpel XR ceramic and have no issues with polarized glasses. I've heard similar issues with 3m Crystalline having problems with polarized lenses. One thing you might be able to try is visit the tint shop and bring your glasses with you. They can probably pull up a scrap piece of tint and have you look thru to be sure.

Ahh sorry to hear it! It's interesting how Cali doesn't allow tint - but I always see the most extreme tint jobs coming out of Cali. The only other US locations that probably could use tint more would be Texas or Florida! It's a shame they don't allow it. You're of course welcome to do whatever you're comfortable with but I do want to point out a couple things:

1) 70% is roughly the same percentage as non-tinted glass coming from the factory (slight % variances depending on brand but Tesla front glass clocks in at ~70% factory). Adding this to a windshield will not make a perceptible difference. Truthfully, I don't think any cop will be able to tell the difference without a meter unless they're lying and fishing for you to admit you've tinted.
2) highway patrol cannot test your windshield - their meters are like a C-clamp style thing so it can only go over windows, not windshield. If you're getting pulled over for tint it'll be because of your other windows.
3) I'm using Xpel XR ceramic and have no issues with polarized glasses. I've heard similar issues with 3m Crystalline having problems with polarized lenses. One thing you might be able to try is visit the tint shop and bring your glasses with you. They can probably pull up a scrap piece of tint and have you look thru to be sure.
Technically we're not even supposed to tint the front side windows here. But my part of NorCal gets to 110° in the summers so lots of people do tint the front side windows - but they do it with 70% of lighter. My understanding of the tint is that it's additive. IOW your window film tint adds to the tint on the glass, so if CHP does test, any window film will likely flunk. I do agree that adding it to the windshield would be relatively hard to detect on the windshield if the rest of the windows are tinted.

3M Crystalline has a bit higher total solar energy rejection (TSER) value at 55% than Xpel Prime XR at 49% based on a 70% tint. But not having the polarization effect does make a big difference. Spectra Photosync is the best film for heat rejection, but we only have one dealer in the entire region and he wants $1500 to do all the windows including front windshield (not incl roof). That's a bit much IMO. I got a quote of $680 for the front and rear side windows and the rear hatch window, using 3M Crystalline.

1500 is crazy expensive! 680 is a pretty good price.

Since you're looking for maximum heat rejection, you might want to check out XR Prime +. I think the 49% is for their Black line which I think is more geared towards those who want that deep all black look (vs a slightly more charcoal gray with the Prime+). The 70% has a TSER of 52% as well. Though, it's probably going to be more expensive than 3M but will likely be cheaper than what you got quoted for Spectra. And you might have added benefit of no polarization effect!

1661973824361.png

Last edited:
1500 is crazy expensive! 680 is a pretty good price.

Since you're looking for maximum heat rejection, you might want to check out XR Prime +. I think the 49% is for their Black line which I think is more geared towards those who want that deep all black look (vs a slightly more charcoal gray with the Prime+). The 70% has a TSER of 55% as well. Though, it's probably going to be more expensive than 3M but will likely be cheaper than what you got quoted for Spectra. And you might have added benefit of no polarization effect!

View attachment 847545
Thanks! The XR Plus 70 @ 52% TSER is close enough to the 3M Crystalline. Plus it's a huge bonus if it doesn't have the polarization effect!

OP, did you or anyone else here end up going with the 70% tint for the front side windows? Curious if it helped with heat rejection comfort while driving. I'm currently debating between 50% or 70% ceramic tint for the front side windows (no tinted windshield). If I'm not going for the dark look is there even a benefit for the driver and passenger?

OP, did you or anyone else here end up going with the 70% tint for the front side windows? Curious if it helped with heat rejection comfort while driving. I'm currently debating between 50% or 70% ceramic tint for the front side windows (no tinted windshield). If I'm not going for the dark look is there even a benefit for the driver and passenger?
I tinted two front windows with 35% formularone stratos and windshield with air 80.

Even with 35%, visibility from outside still pretty good. Unnoticeable with air 80 on windshield. And, I have black interior.

The factor glasses have UV protection according to manual. They have some heat rejection too.