Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Hatch Latching Problem (Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW? The Ranger that replaced my latch said sometimes they fail closed, but he can pull the plastic cover away below the rear window and squeeze his arm in to reach the latch from the inside.
Sawzall? That's old school, I'm sure Elon is working on new, more efficient way to use directed explosives to perform the same job in a fraction of the time. He's cross-pollinating by sharing SpaceX expertise with high explosives. As soon as he gets government approval to ship high explosives to service centers and rangers, this will be a 5 minute job - blow the hatch, install a new one. :p

Mine was stuck shut. Not open or half open even.
No emergency release.
In order to get it open, its the only option. Then you can replace cinch motor and other plastic pieces that have been sacrificed to get the job done. The latch part still has a few saw marks on it if you look closely at it. A little prehistoric, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Customer wants his car back someday.

This just happened a week ago to my 2015 MS for the second time in a year. It was stuck between open and close and the emergency release did nothing.

As mentioned above, it took a week to get the parts in and then a day to do the work.

Here is what they replaced:

Part Quantity
CINCHING ACTUATOR (1003549-00-A) 1
ASY LIFTGATE LATCH PWR REL (6006654-00-B) 1

As we all know there is a vast array of parts from Mercedes Benz here on these cars up to and including this cinch motor and latch. That is scary stuff when you have taken another car manufacturers parts and used them in your own.

I wonder how MB is doing with their cinch motors and latches??? What model used these cinching actuators?

I've noticed that the hatch door tends to have trouble closing on hot days. Has anyone experienced this pattern? I tend to schedule my SC appointments in the (cool) morning so they haven't been able to reproduce the issue. It's hard to schedule appointments based on high ambient temperature in the Bay Area.

As we all know there is a vast array of parts from Mercedes Benz here on these cars up to and including this cinch motor and latch. That is scary stuff when you have taken another car manufacturers parts and used them in your own.

I wonder how MB is doing with their cinch motors and latches??? What model used these cinching actuators?
The MB connection has always scared me. I've always avoided Merc's, partially because they had a very short warranty. Ironic, because I grew up in Europe where Merc's had the best warranty reputation, then in Canada, when I was shopping for a new car, I found out they had the shortest bumper-to-bumper warranty of all major brands.

• Informative
Reactions: Oldschool496
I've noticed that the hatch door tends to have trouble closing on hot days. Has anyone experienced this pattern? I tend to schedule my SC appointments in the (cool) morning so they haven't been able to reproduce the issue. It's hard to schedule appointments based on high ambient temperature in the Bay Area.

What I want to know is what service center can check you in and out within a single morning without every having your for a day or more where they'd still have it in the late afternoon?

Had that once. Try screwing all four adjusters in, one quarter turn at a time and retest after each adjustment.

I found this thread after my car had the same issue, and the same parts were replaced. Then, I saw my earlier posts. Did those of you who had this issue have earlier issues with the latch (like hatch door bumping up instead of latching)? I've had issues since the first day. Hopefully, the replacement will mean the end of those issues.

@berkeley_ecar: What you described could be this problem (TL;DR: rear trunk latch actuator mechanism has been known to fail; not a super-common problem but it seems to have been reported most often by owners of 2015 builds):

Pretty common actually. There are multiple threads. Mine was about to fail and nearly stuck mid cycle twice(I could tell by the way it slowed down and sounded like was about to die).

I replaced the cinch motor with the redesigned updated part myself for $64 rather than waiting for it to fail which if it does requires cutting through interior hatch panel.

If you get it before it fails, it's 45 minutes of your time and the cost of the part.

Capture.JPG

I had this part fail on my 2015 Model S 85D about a year ago, just after having washed it. Not sure if that contributed to the failure, however the hatch lock was stuck shut and would not open. Probably a safety feature I'm sure. Service center replaced the motor under warranty and everything was fine after that.

Well, looks like I joined this club today! My car had been sitting in the sun for the last couple of days (I was using a different car for a few days).. went out today to load up the hatch, it opened, but didn't raise... hmm, I thought, that's strange. I opened it manually, loaded some stuff in, closed it, and the latching just sounded strange. I tried to open it again, and now it's stuck closed, but registers as open and the car won't lock (now I read about locking it manually from inside).

But the problem is I'm away from home visiting my mother who is in the hospital. I log on to the app and make a service appointment for Milford, CT but nothing is available until October 1st (not terrible, but not great either).

But just by sheer luck, there's a service center ONE MILE from my parent's house here in Cherry Hill. I take the car over there, fully expecting them to be fully booked up and not really taking walk-ins for service. I was prepared to drive home on one charge and just wait for my October 1st Milford service visit.

I go to a service manager (Brandon) who listens to me and says sure, bring it around and we'll take a look. Confirms it's the cinch motor and they have four in stock and can likely do it today!! SCORE! But then I also have a faulty passenger door handle, and ask since I'm on the ESA with a $200 per visit deductible, is there any way they can do that too? I tell them even if it goes into tomorrow, that's fine, as I'm time flexible. And sure enough, the confirm the parts and are pretty sure they can get it done by the end of today! I'm just floored at how fantastic and professional and accommodating the crew over there is.

BTW, just fixing the hatch motor is a $160 repair, so it would actually be cheaper to just pay that than go through the ESA... but adding in my broken door handle makes it a worthwhile visit and now I don't have to fix the handle myself.

Well, looks like I joined this club today! My car had been sitting in the sun for the last couple of days (I was using a different car for a few days).. went out today to load up the hatch, it opened, but didn't raise... hmm, I thought, that's strange. I opened it manually, loaded some stuff in, closed it, and the latching just sounded strange. I tried to open it again, and now it's stuck closed, but registers as open and the car won't lock (now I read about locking it manually from inside).

But the problem is I'm away from home visiting my mother who is in the hospital. I log on to the app and make a service appointment for Milford, CT but nothing is available until October 1st (not terrible, but not great either).

But just by sheer luck, there's a service center ONE MILE from my parent's house here in Cherry Hill. I take the car over there, fully expecting them to be fully booked up and not really taking walk-ins for service. I was prepared to drive home on one charge and just wait for my October 1st Milford service visit.

I go to a service manager (Brandon) who listens to me and says sure, bring it around and we'll take a look. Confirms it's the cinch motor and they have four in stock and can likely do it today!! SCORE! But then I also have a faulty passenger door handle, and ask since I'm on the ESA with a $200 per visit deductible, is there any way they can do that too? I tell them even if it goes into tomorrow, that's fine, as I'm time flexible. And sure enough, the confirm the parts and are pretty sure they can get it done by the end of today! I'm just floored at how fantastic and professional and accommodating the crew over there is.

BTW, just fixing the hatch motor is a $160 repair, so it would actually be cheaper to just pay that than go through the ESA... but adding in my broken door handle makes it a worthwhile visit and now I don't have to fix the handle myself.

Tesla is pretty good about prioritizing repairs that prevent you from driving or keeping your car secure ahead of others.

I'm pretty sure the ESA says that it's per item and not per visit for the $200 deductible. There's been lots of discussion about this in the past. Some service centers have treated it as per visit and others per item.

The cinch motor is $64 if you just buy the part straight which I did because mine was about to fail and I wanted to fix it before the door got stuck closed which is way harder to fix.

How did they fix yours without breaking the rear hatch interior cover?

Reactions: bhzmark