Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch opening while driving and shattering back window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
an 'are you sure' is fine, but also could be 'pocket dialed'.

its NOT HARD to know the speed of the vehicle. and that 'driver is present' (a very standard state test for callback routines, when events happen). and if vehicle_speed is not zero, do not open any auto-liftgates!

really really REALLY simple.

sheesh.

Yes, there are lots of ways to make it safer. The "are you sure" can be implemented numerous ways. The ##### requires you to be stopped to open a door. You can drive with a door open, but you can't open it at even 1 mph unless in Park. Park would be the confirm.

like I said before, 1000% unacceptable to blame the user for what is a tesla design bug.

complete fail of engineering, design, qa and system integration test. they should friggin know better than that!
I didn't blame anyone, I stated an absolute fact. I don't disagree with you that the fob is a bad design due to how easily buttons are activated in pockets, but to ignore the reality of the situation doesn't help anyone.

why are you so unconcerned with car safety?

I'm not. I crash into things all the time. I hit people, took out a dog the other day (a chihuahua, which isn't really a dog anyway). I'm best friends with the folks at the local body shop. Been a good customer for years.
Good thing Tesla's are such safe cars or else I would have been toast several times already :(

T=Do you own a Model X? There is no audible chime for door open. Even the Model 3 has a chime if the door is slightly ajar or open. Saw this just the other day. I pressed the display button and the hatch indicated it was closed. The display usually indicates yellow if a door is open. This was not the case. The hatch was supposedly closed but then opened as I drove onto the garage. Why would anyone design a car that would open door while it was in motion? I truly believe that Tesla will do much better as a car company once it is acquired by a car company. Tesla does not ever accept any blame. I checked the internet and another owner had doors open while driving on the highway at 60mph. Tesla again said had to be pressure on key fob. But why would the doors open in unsafe conditions. The doors are supposed to have sensors that prevent it from opening too much when you are close to a wall so why would you allow doors to open while the car is in motions?

This is flat out wrong. I just tried to replicate this:

1. The trunk won't open at all when in motion with the keyfob (I was going maybe 3 miles an hour), it aslo beeped at me.
2. When the trunk is open and the car is in drive you not only get an audible warning, but also a visual one.

Sorry about your vehicle, but the car definitely tells you when the hatch is open.

If you manage people. God help them.

if you are an executive, god help your whole company.

I hope you make things that are not safety critical and that you're just some figurehead. you don't have the chops to be an actual engineer, by the comments I'm seeing from you.

one does NOT laugh off safety issues.

this is not a twitter or facebook software bug; real people drive these cars and, yes, it DOES matter.

if you don't take things this seriously, tell us where you work so we can avoid using your products.

if you are an executive, god help your whole company.

I hope you make things that are not safety critical and that you're just some figurehead. you don't have the chops to be an actual engineer, by the comments I'm seeing from you.

one does NOT laugh off safety issues.

this is not a twitter or facebook software bug; real people drive these cars and, yes, it DOES matter.

if you don't take things this seriously, tell us where you work so we can avoid using your products.

First of all, calm down... Holy hell... Secondly, you're able to judge the character of someone from a couple of posts on an internet forum to the point where you feel confident making a statement like "If you are an executive, god help your whole company"???? That's pretty impressive...

Again, calm down... Your posts are hilarious to read to be honest... No, this is not a design flaw, it's a user error. It worked exactly how it was designed and while you may not like how it was designed, that's a different matter all together. So put your pitch fork down and just let this one go...

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: linux-works
yes, I can tell when someone takes safety and designs seriously.

some people have the right attitude when it comes to safety-related work and some do not.

I'm not going to 'calm down'. you want people like me to take this stuff 'deadly serious'.

or, would you rather have some facebook intern write car software? hmmmm?

get real. this stuff requires a seriousness that not every engineer has. its really easy to tell who gets that and who does not.

I'm always going to fight the good fight. again, you WANT people like me designing and testing things before it gets to the userbase.

yes, I can tell when someone takes safety and designs seriously.

some people have the right attitude when it comes to safety-related work and some do not.

I'm not going to 'calm down'. you want people like me to take this stuff 'deadly serious'.

or, would you rather have some facebook intern write car software? hmmmm?

get real. this stuff requires a seriousness that not every engineer has. its really easy to tell who gets that and who does not.

I'm always going to fight the good fight. again, you WANT people like me designing and testing things before it gets to the userbase.

Um... Okay? Be careful where you step, falling off of that high pedestal you put yourself on could be painful...

Jeff

This is flat out wrong. I just tried to replicate this:

1. The trunk won't open at all when in motion with the keyfob (I was going maybe 3 miles an hour), it aslo beeped at me.
2. When the trunk is open and the car is in drive you not only get an audible warning, but also a visual one.

Sorry about your vehicle, but the car definitely tells you when the hatch is open.
Is your Model X 2017? Maybe they fixed it on your car? Why did the hatch open and hit the overhang of the garage? If It was open then why no alarm or anything red on display? How did it hit the overhang from below if it did not open? Just wondering how you explain the accident? Hope your car continues to behave perfectly. I have not had the experience with mine. From the beginning had bugs with the doors. Thanks for your insight.

Is your Model X 2017? Maybe they fixed it on your car? Why did the hatch open and hit the overhang of the garage? If It was open then why no alarm or anything red on display? How did it hit the overhang from below if it did not open? Just wondering how you explain the accident? Hope your car continues to behave perfectly. I have not had the experience with mine. From the beginning had bugs with the doors. Thanks for your insight.

Yes, mine is an April 2017, with AP2.0.

I have no way of explaining your specific circumstance, I can only offer that the vehicle is designed to protect you from the incident you encountered.