Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch privacy cover.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am actually working on an attachment for the headrests that would take care of this, CaliX. It also will make the ModelYShelf even easier to take down when needed. I like your idea about the attachment rings, especially for the tail end of the ModelYShelf. I'll take a look at something down that road. But I would like to note that we try to do things in straightforward ways that keeps things simple and easy. Which also helps keep the cost down a bit as well. Also, I encourage folks to customize things to make them right for themselves. Over the years, many of our products and improvements have come from customer idea in this way.

Steve

Thank you I have saved your site and will be checking back I will say the quality of the shelf looks great.

Reactions: 2000154
Thank you I have saved your site and will be checking back I will say the quality of the shelf looks great.
I neglected to mention that I do include cord locks for the lifting strings. These are handy for folks that find a need to take the ModelYShelf down frequently, or for folks that like the look better. Both options are easy and simple, the knots were just there because I didn't bring the cord locks with me when I did the set up and took the pics.

HTH!

Steve

Great looking product that fills a niche. :)

I neglected to mention that I do include cord locks for the lifting strings. These are handy for folks that find a need to take the ModelYShelf down frequently, or for folks that like the look better. Both options are easy and simple, the knots were just there because I didn't bring the cord locks with me when I did the set up and took the pics.

Reactions: 2000154
Does anyone have any photos of this product in their Y? Curious to see the attachment points and the quality of the product (carpet v leatherette).

does having the shelf add any vibrations/rattles in the rear?

note: I did look at the website but the photos don’t show up great on mobile.

Here are some pictures of the ModelYShelf (graphite one).

Rattles are very limited in my experience (or at the same time as other rattles when driving over speedbumps or on a rough road), and it would be fairly easy to add some damping material to avoid it.

PXL_20200924_181524896.jpg
PXL_20200924_181541226.jpg
PXL_20200924_181614143.jpg
PXL_20200924_181623131.jpg

It looks like the shelf is supported by drawstrings on the headrests and the metal clips on the side toward the back of the car. It looks great installed but I think the metal clips in the back make it lose the OEM look. It would be great to have a rail of some sort that looked like part of the car. The other thing to consider is the long term wear and tear min the hatch motor after lifting that cover over a few years.

I’ve seen pictures but haven’t read an in-depth review yet. I am also wondering if it fits neatly on the floor when detached. I love the idea but keep on comparing this to my wife’s rear hatch roll up cover on her BMW X5. I like the functionality of it rolling away when you need more space

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
It looks like the shelf is supported by drawstrings on the headrests and the metal clips on the side toward the back of the car. It looks great installed but I think the metal clips in the back make it lose the OEM look. It would be great to have a rail of some sort that looked like part of the car. The other thing to consider is the long term wear and tear min the hatch motor after lifting that cover over a few years.

I’ve seen pictures but haven’t read an in-depth review yet. I am also wondering if it fits neatly on the floor when detached. I love the idea but keep on comparing this to my wife’s rear hatch roll up cover on her BMW X5. I like the functionality of it rolling away when you need more space

The metal pieces that are there only exist if you do not want the privacy cover to lift up when the trunk opens. So I am sure they are not necessary (I don’t like the look of them either).

I’m curious as to where you attach the strings that connect to the lift gate to give the privacy cover it’s ability to raise when the rear hatch is opened

The metal pieces that are there only exist if you do not want the privacy cover to lift up when the trunk opens. So I am sure they are not necessary (I don’t like the look of them either).

I’m curious as to where you attach the strings that connect to the lift gate to give the privacy cover it’s ability to raise when the rear hatch is opened

The metal pieces are meant for the shelf to sit on when the hatch is closed. Otherwise the shelf will flip down into the hatch since nothing is supporting that end. That being said, I might just get rid of my metal tabs because the don’t stay in place very well and seem to be more trouble that it might be worth.

The shelf attaches/loops around the struts of the hatch. Then you use a knot and/or the string lock to set the “height” the cover opens to when the hatch lifts up, and that stays on the underside of the cover.

I was very excited to see this item, but I think the metal supports are a deal breaker. I golf quite a bit and those supports look like, they are in the way for golf bag, will catch lots of items like plastic grocery bags and look pretty tacky in the photos(imho). Hopefully someone or the creator comes up with a good alternative. Still very interested!

Should have mentioned I use my own solution to hook up the cords to the hatch - I use carabiners to be able to quickly hook/unhook. Note that I am not sure if this (long-term) may cause paint damage, so use at your own risk.

The shelf attaches to the rear seats with two cord loops that hook up to one of the rods under the headrests.

I agree that some molded part coming out of the side wall would be much better looking than the metal brackets (similar to my Leaf). BTW without those brackets the shelf would go almost all the way down in the back.

I also liked the rolling cover solution I had in a 2018 BMW X3. Tesla should have done something like that...

@2000154:

Too bad you don't offer something similar for the 5-seater MX - we have been looking for something like that ever since we got the otherwise excellent vehicle nearly four years ago - and as due to the price cuts and subsequent vertiginous drop bin trade-in value we're going to keep it for a LONG time, the interest is still there.

I would love to make one for a Model X! Call your friends, relatives, and even your hated mother-in-laws. Get one in the VoltShop's drive way and we can make it happen! If you know someone with a Model X in the Rochester area interested they can send me a message through this forum or email through the website and we will figure it out.

Steve

• Informative
Reactions: krouebi
Thank you all for your thoughts and feedback on the ModelYShelf. This is important to me as we move forward and continue to work to refine the design. A few thoughts that may help explains some questions/comments-

The rear support hooks are made necessary because of the shape of the trunk. The the curve of the sidewalls made this the most difficult part of the design by far. The inward curve of the side of the car as it rises makes the cut of the ModelYShelf have to come inward towards the rear. And the outward slope of the lower parts of the trunk sidewall gives you nothing to land the ModelYShelf on when the hatch is closed. I experimented with a number of designs for the rear supports, but most very awkward and would require screwing/drilling into the sidewalls to attach them. That would be a non-starter for MANY Model Y owners. This rear support design is taken from the one we use for the VoltShelf that has been VERY successful for a number of years. With that said, I am open to other ideas that come up.

We are also already working on a couple of things to put into production that will address some of the concerns that have already been voiced. These include carabineer hooks for the lifting strings such as Frank described above, and hooks that go over the rear headrest bars to hold the forward support cords. The combination of these will make the ModelYShelf VERY simple to take down (and put back up) in about 10 seconds. And the ModelYShelf will store right on the trunk floor. Plus, because it is a solid core, you can pile anything you want on the carpet without worry.

Your comments are welcome!

HTH,

Steve

@2000154 got my cover the other week and overall I really like it. I would love another option to connect the ties to the headrest - removing the headrests themselves was the most frustrating part of the install so having a quicker option would be great when you need to take the cover down/out.

Also, my metal clips have been popping out the last few days while driving over small bumps. Any suggestions? I don’t know what another solution for a system to rest the cover on but I’m hoping some refining can be done in this area.

I'm glad you like your ModelYShelf, xtnvieira! I agree with you on removing the headrest. Check these out for a really good looking solution. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079DNCLQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are MANY styles available, I am testing several now and look forward to picking one to integrate into the design, or possibly offer as an option. The one above eliminates the need to remove the headrest at all. And any of these will allow the forward end of the ModelYShelf to be removed in a snap.

The rear clips should be pretty stable. Can you email a picture of them in place to me to check out. I do have a few thoughts, but would like to see how they are fitting first.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

this:
I would love to make one for a Model X! Call your friends, relatives, and even your hated mother-in-laws. Get one in the VoltShop's drive way and we can make it happen! If you know someone with a Model X in the Rochester area interested they can send me a message through this forum or email through the website and we will figure it out.

Steve
would of course be very, very nice - but as we're located in Europe (and currently stuck in the Philippines) a bit difficult.

But if anyone else sees your post, and is willing to let you take the necessary measurements, we'll be among the first clients!