Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch privacy cover.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for the response! Will definitely have to consider this when we get our Y (we have the RWD on order, so it may be a few more months).

It will also quiet down noise from the back of the car. Unfortunately only noise from behind the second row. You will still have to deal with the wailing from the second row. Beautiful noise, but it still can get old. ;) If nothing else, it will cover the stroller, diaper bag, pack n play, and all the other kid stuff. I remember those days.....

Reactions: JLOC
I'll "second" the thought of adding an adhered (or anchored) rear support for the parcel shelf. I think that would be the only way to get a clean "OEM" look. Since the shelf isn't intended to carry a load, only shield the cargo area, the rear support only has to contend with the physical weight of the shelf itself. That should/could make anchoring easier. I like the command strips idea as a "no mar" attachment, but honestly I'm not opposed to a screw in attachment either, so long as it's a clean implementation.

Interesting thought...what about rare earth magnets? You (we) could adhere a RE magnet to the back side of the trim. Then the rear supports could attach magnetically through the trim. This leaves no physical damage to the visible trim and you could then design an elegant looking shelf support. It would take a bit more time to install, but the result would be very clean.

Reactions: 2000154
Well I like it, my kids like it, my wife hates it. It actually made her nauseous yesterday when my kids convinced me to do a hard launch. I'll be keeping it for sure. Just no launches with the wife in the car.
Does it spin / squeal the tires or does an electric drive somehow prevent that. Seems like it would given all the torque

Guess I should stop hijacking the thread though

Does it spin / squeal the tires or does an electric drive somehow prevent that. Seems like it would given all the torque

Guess I should stop hijacking the thread though
No, it doesn't launch at full power from zero, it comes in soft and then the torque hits about a second later (butt dyno). I tried turning it at full power and that'll squeal the tires and get the TC very angry (car cuts power).

I'll "second" the thought of adding an adhered (or anchored) rear support for the parcel shelf. I think that would be the only way to get a clean "OEM" look. Since the shelf isn't intended to carry a load, only shield the cargo area, the rear support only has to contend with the physical weight of the shelf itself. That should/could make anchoring easier. I like the command strips idea as a "no mar" attachment, but honestly I'm not opposed to a screw in attachment either, so long as it's a clean implementation.

Interesting thought...what about rare earth magnets? You (we) could adhere a RE magnet to the back side of the trim. Then the rear supports could attach magnetically through the trim. This leaves no physical damage to the visible trim and you could then design an elegant looking shelf support. It would take a bit more time to install, but the result would be very clean.

Magnetic attachment has come up in our discussions, and is definitely under consideration. We have tested Command strips in similar applications and the results have been less than optimal. The heat that builds up inside of cars in the summer is a killer. Automotive trim tape is a possibility, but that is generally as permanent as drilling holes, too. I'll get back to the shop and see what we can cook up. Thank you for your input!

Steve

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
What I was thinking of should not require any vehicle modification. Imagine a hinge on the bottom of your cover. One side is of course the cover. The other side of the hinge is this leg. The hinge just lets it flop down.

The attached (crude) image is kind of what I mean. You cover is blue. The floor of the MY is red. The right 'foot' is down. The left shows the foot moving from latched horizontal to vertical. A clip or latch or something under the cover would allow the user to optionally not have the leg flopping down.
I've had the chance to look at this more closely. Several issues come to the front pretty quickly. When the hatch is raised, the ModelYShelf will lift with it The legs would be in the down position and swing upward with it. Due to the geometry, they will end up pointing downward and backward, right at the person behind the car. These would be to the outsides but have serious potential to get in the way when you lean into the trunk to load or unload, be something you could bump into (Right about eye level...) or have to work around, or catch your grocery bags on. Yes, they would be foldable, but it would be a pretty big thing to have to fold them out of the way each time. I'm not against this option, and am still considering it, but like a lot of things, it is not as simple or as it sounds. In addition, it is likely to add about $40-50 to the cost. Some sort of leg or bracket on the trunk side would likely be less intrusive and less costly.

Hi Everyone,

A quick update to this thread. The Model Y cargo cover mentioned above is available and we have improved the design in several ways over the past month or so. There is a separate thread here that I have been posting to, but I thought I should update you here as well. Installation of the ModelYShelf is simple and straightforward, and requires no visible modifications to the car. It is available in a wide variety of colors and materials, including black and white leatherettes for a really clean look that matches the interior. And we have been able to increase production to have all colors and materials in stock and available.

Here is a quick summary of many of the best aspects of the ModelYShelf:
- A clean, cool, OEM look
- Quiets noise from the rear
- Does NOT cover the rear speakers
- Cargo is completely covered for full security and peace of mind
- Fast, easy installation, with the improvements we have made to the mounting system. Initial installation time is 5-10 minutes.
- Removal and replacement is VERY fast (5-10 seconds) and simple.
- Lies flat on the rear seat backs when they are lowered, no need to take it down
- Opens automatically when the hatch is lifted
- Adjustable angle when opened for easy access to the entire trunk area
- Colors and materials
- The new white leatherette is a great look for the white seats
- Available carpet colors are black and graphite, Available leatherettes are black, white, woven black and Midnight blue (This one looks awesome with the blue exterior!!)

You can check it all out here: TeslaStuff.weebly.com.

And I am now ready to introduce another new look, black neoprene! The smooth sleek and soft look of neoprene on the top of the ModelYShelf is absolutely incredible. It blends in very well and has a unique look unmatched by anything else we have ever done on any of our cargo covers! This has a limited availability for the time being, so if you are interested, don't wait!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Should have mentioned I use my own solution to hook up the cords to the hatch - I use carabiners to be able to quickly hook/unhook. Note that I am not sure if this (long-term) may cause paint damage, so use at your own risk.

@frankvb (or anyone else feel free to answer too!) now that it's been a couple of months, are you noticing any damage from using the carabiners? Also, do they make any additional noise when opening/closing the hatch, or when driving? I can't imagine how they wouldn't damage the paint or strut if they were snug enough not to rattle, and how they wouldn't rattle if they were loose enough not to damage the paint or strut. But I'm hoping to be wrong.

Also, has anyone done/seen a review video on these? I just re-checked YouTube and still see nothing.

I have this shelf - here are my thoughts.

1. The owner supports the product amazingly well. He's very responsive on email.

2. I have the white shelf and it's beautiful with my white interior.

3. I'm not loving the clips that go on the each side to support the shelf. The shelf somehow seems to get beneath them and then when I open the hatch the shelf catches the clips on the way up. This makes the clips bend and sometimes the clips go shooting out and fly around the back. I think this is because the spot the clips sit isn't level so they can slide around a bit. It sounds like a possible fix would be to cut a small notch in the trim so the supports sit flat instead of at an angle but I'm nervous about doing that in a brand new car, especially since I'm not 100% sure it would fix the problem.

Are other people having the same issue? Has anybody cut notches into the sides?

• Helpful
@frankvb (or anyone else feel free to answer too!) now that it's been a couple of months, are you noticing any damage from using the carabiners? Also, do they make any additional noise when opening/closing the hatch, or when driving? I can't imagine how they wouldn't damage the paint or strut if they were snug enough not to rattle, and how they wouldn't rattle if they were loose enough not to damage the paint or strut. But I'm hoping to be wrong.

Also, has anyone done/seen a review video on these? I just re-checked YouTube and still see nothing.

I've been working on a few options for the carabiners, srlawren. One is a simple velcro strap that replaces the carabiner. Easy to install, easy to remove, no sound, no damage. I personally don't like it quite as much, but I do want to give folks a quick release option that they want. On reason you don't hear any noise from the carabiner is that it is outside of the hatch seal. Any minor sound coming from it is not inside the cabin to be heard.

The other option is a drilled installation. This is a simple thing, and almost invisible once done. I've used this with the VoltShelves I've sold for over 6 years, without a complaint from anyone about drilling or using these. I chose not to offer this option from the start with the Model Y as I did not think Model Y owners would be that interested in it. Once installed, the lifting strings are extremely easy to put on and take off, and you really don't even notice the trim button that is installed. It simply becomes a part of the car. I am now working to develop this option fully before making it available to all. I can supply all 3 of the alternatives so folks can have the choice for themselves.

Here are a couple of pics of the trim buttons installed in a Volt.
tdtnwYd.jpg

MFEvSSc.jpg

The rear support clips are a necessity. Cutting the small notch in the top of the trunk sidewall (Where it is unseen!) will help them be more stable. You can also give the top hook of them a good squeeze by hand or with a pliers to tighten them on the sidewall after installation. (If you use a pliers, put something between the clip and pliers to protect the finish....) I also heard from one owner that put a small piece of double sided tape on the clip to stick it to the sidewall a bit. The rear hooks do work. Unfortunately, there is no good way to support the tail of the shelf without either drilling through the sidewall, or building a monstrosity off of the floor in front of where the trunk sides are scoped out. Tesla didn't leave much to work with here.

HTH!

Steve

Last edited:
  • Helpful