Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Hatch Protection Model Y Bumper Design Defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a model 3 owner with a Model Y on order.

Recently I read an article about the exposure of the rear hatch from minor rear end bumps. In the year I have had my Model 3 I have had three rear end bumps that fortunately resulted in minimal damage (slight scratches), but in all these cases the same impact would have significantly damaged the read hatch on a Model Y

At this point I am not sure I would accept delivery of a car where minor rear bumps would result in expensive body damage.

I am wondering if any owners have already experienced these problems and if there any aftermarket bumper add ons that might help to protect the card until and if Tesla decides to take this design flaw seriously.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
In the year I have had my Model 3 I have had three rear end bumps that fortunately resulted in minimal damage (slight scratches),

No offense intended, but maybe you should hold off buying ANY expensive car until you take the need to improve your driving skills seriously?

Here is the aftermarket accessory I think you're looking for:

unnamed.gif

Last edited:
I apologize if you were offended by my post. I do understand that one shouldn't attack a new poster for asking valid questions. I just don't see the valid question he asked? I could see asking a Y owner if they saw this as an issue. In that case I'd respond that the hatch itself is so high that the only issue would be if the owner of the Y drove into a pole. A typical rear end collision would not touch the hatch. If a truck with a high bumper rear ended the Y, yes there would be hatch damage, but in that case virtually any car's hatch would be damaged by that collision. So we are left with errors committed by the driver of the Y that are a threat to the hatch. The OP mentioned he had three such errors in a year, that led me to the conclusion that the OP is a horrible, horrible driver and should make some kind of effort to improve his driving skills. I'm not thrilled with the idea of sharing the road with someone who can't avoid running in to things, or can't learn to look in the rear view mirror before slamming on the brakes. Or maybe he needs to learn to drive in such a fashion that he doesn't need to slam on his brakes so often. Maybe he needs people to ridicule his driving. Maybe he'll take steps to improve. Maybe that will save his life, or someone else's life.

PagadoY, please understand I am not attacking you. I come across that way in written word too often. I actually admire your effort to prevent personnel attacks. I just don't see the OP's post as a valid. I'm on a number of Y groups on Facebook, and I'm just a bit sick of all the trolls, who hate the Y or Tesla, joining enthusiast groups just to slam the cars or the company. If someone who is interested in the car joins and has valid concerns they'd like answered, that I understand. I see the tone of the OP as someone who is just looking to attack the car, not someone who has a concern about an issue they'd like to understand better. Generally, if a poster's very first post in a group is an attack on the subject of that group it is safe to assume the poster is a troll.

Wouldn't any aftermarket solution just crush in just like it currently is. It's not like a steel offroad bumper can be added. Well I guess something could be fabbed up but you are talking about a major modification.

I seriously don't see it as an issue. Don't back up in to anything. If someone rear ends you, they get to pay for the repairs.

I like it just the way it is. It's perfect for sitting on with the hatch open. Almost as good as having a tailgate. Wouldn't change it a bit.

and yes, I've been dinged in a parking lot and nobody leaves a note so I'd say there is a decent chance of this becoming an issue for some.

The only way the hatch is going to get dinged by someone else is if their bumper is so high that it goes over your bumper. If their bumper is that high they are going to hit the hatch on any vehicle. I believe I already explained this. And not leaving a note is what Sentry Mode is for.

True, if somebody hits you in the arse, they pay (if insured) but there you are with a great car that you can't drive bcause the hatch won't close. And now it's raining...

Umm, what are you even talking about? Why won't the hatch close? And besides, isn't your hatch already closed if someone hits your hatch? I mean, seriously... If you get hit that hard by a vehicle that has a high enough bumper to even hit the hatch, it isn't going to matter what you're driving. A truck bumper high enough to hit the hatch on a Y is going to hit the hatch on any compact crossover out there. Again I already explained this. Several times.

If you are actually concerned about this issue, read the actual replies. Either people aren't reading, or their reading comprehension is seriously lacking. The supposed "issue" with the Y hatch HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH REAR END COLLISIONS. Read that again. A rear end collision that impacts the hatch on the Y is going to impact any hatch. The reason is the bumper of the rear car has to be high enough to hit the hatch. If it is, It will hit any hatch. Duh. The "issue" is what happens if you back up into a pole or tree. If your driving skills are such that backing into a tree is a possibility, you should not buy a Y. You also should not be driving at all, but that's a different discussion.

Maybe you should watch the Sandy Munro video where he talks about rear impact protection on the Y.

Sandy Monro addressed this issue with his latest Model Y engineering video. He noted that Tesla has installed a clever removable brace that will take rear end impacts. That brace is bolted in and designed to be easlily replaceable in the case of body damage. Tons cheaper than replacing the rear clip that often is the cause of some cars being totaled from minor impacts.

He noted that while the rear can indeed be damaged by impacts, that the design has been used by many Mini-Vans over the years and it has not been really much of an issue, except in isolated cases.

Overall he opines that it is a remarkably effective design to allow a very low and flat loading platform. No need to lift heavy objects over a tall tailgate to load packages etc.

Believes it is not a design flaw, but a well thought design to add versatility and crash repair mitigation.

Trailer hitch (whenever that becomes an option) and a rear step that’s inserted into the hitch is one option. However, having all the force hit the hitch and whatever it’s attached to...could be worse.

I think the articles describing it as a “defect” were intentionally titled to spark interest. It’s a design choice that isn’t exclusive to Tesla. Whether you think the benefits outweigh the downside (or vice versa), that’s pure opinion.

What I think would help — and correct me if this is already something the Model Y has — is low-speed auto-braking when reversing, similar to what Toyota offers with its Intelligent Clearance Sonar and Rear Cross Traffic Braking (RCTB). It will stop the car prior to hitting a detected obstacle at low speed (when parking, for example).

This doesn’t solve for someone hitting you, but preventing a self-inflicted collision would help mitigate the issue.

I’d also speculate that this piece here is replaceable without replacing the entire hatch.

View attachment 530315
That’s very doubtful it could be separated into two parts. It would require many internal structural elements to make that in two pieces and add more cost and weight above having one single part. Each part would also cost more than one simple single hatch. I own a body shop and I am only speculating but from experience.

Reactions: ahmadr
That’s very doubtful it could be separated into two parts. It would require many internal structural elements to make that in two pieces and add more cost and weight above having one single part. Each part would also cost more than one simple single hatch. I own a body shop and I am only speculating but from experience.

No you’re right. I thought I saw a seam along the flat edge but after opening the hatch it’s clear it’s all one giant part

• Helpful
Reactions: BM3LRPUP19
I am wondering if any owners have already experienced these problems and
if there any aftermarket bumper add ons that might help to protect the car
until and if Tesla decides to take this design flaw seriously.
I think a combination of a rear tow hitch and some molding guard could mitigate small impacts damages from another car
when parking in the street or when hitting the wall of a garage when manoeuvring in tight parking spot.

M3 Bumper Protction Black .jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: Kelr316
I think a combination of a rear tow hitch and some molding guard could mitigate small impacts damages from another car
when parking in the street or when hitting the wall of a garage when manoeuvring in tight parking spot.

I think that picture is a perfect example showing how people can have different views on what is attractive, and what is ugly. It's all in the eye of the beholder. :)

Reactions: Watts_Up