Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has no one taken apart their rear hatch? the diagrams basically look like you just pull it off. I see no visible screws/bolts. It's currently cold AS here, so I guess I'm waiting a while until it warms up. I had to pop plastic panels in the cold. They break too easily.

Well, I've now removed damn near everything I can see. Rattle is louder than ever! I'm ready to shoot the thing.

Seems to occur over 60 mph, on rougher roads. I also tried bracing the spoiler with a cut in 1/2 pool noodle to see if maybe that was loose - no difference. Getting really tired of riding in the truck with my wife driving to try to find this thing...

Rattle before and after disassembly - same but louder...

Sorry for the video quality - going more for audio

Before teardown:

With entire back removed:

I did try to test driving with the lift gate open - but it closed around 60 from the wind force. I guess I can wrap the bottom part in a rag and try again tomorrow. Thanks for any info anyone has on this rattle from hell!

It's not removed in the video, but even with the speaker parts removed, and bottom trim removed, etc. still same exact rattle. I've put my hands everywhere while it's rattling. I just can't find it.

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 494
  • lift gate.jpg
    lift gate.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 188
It was hard for me to hear anything in the video, but I didn't know what type of sound to listen for. I took apart my rear frame long ago to install something and noticed loose retainer clips in the bottom, but that is the only thing I saw in there that might cause a rattle. Have you checked outside and under the bumper just to make sure it isn't coming from outside the car?