Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear hatch susceptible to rear end damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He everyone , I've been really considering Model Y lately, but came across this article and it's got me worried Check The First Images Of A Tesla Model Y Rear Hatch Dent | InsideEVs Photos
Does this concern anyone else, with how flush the rear hatch is with the rear bumper? I haven't seen anyone really mention this. I feel like this can be a very costly repair in even the smallest rear fender bender.
check-the-first-images-of-a-tesla-model-y-rear-hatch-dent

I understand the concern, but this is not something I'll worry about. The sensors and camera reduce the risk of backing into something, and if someone runs into me, the repair cost is their issue. I don't think this will impact insurance costs

Reactions: Electric Steve
No. I love the way it looks and don't buy my cars based on what will happen in an accident. As long as it will be safe in a crash, and it will be, the surface/cosmetic stuff is an expendable item. I realize I may be in the minority on this, but I don't see it as a design flaw. Don't crash or back into anything and you'll be fine.... sorta like every other car! I think that was a fluff piece and looking for clicks, frankly.

Good luck in your decision!

SS

My Golf doesn't have a flush hatch, and I was in a rear end accident. The hatch was damaged and had to be replaced anyway. I think any car that gets rear ended is going to have to have the hatch or truck replaced or re-paired. That's why we have insurance.

He everyone , I've been really considering Model Y lately, but came across this article and it's got me worried Check The First Images Of A Tesla Model Y Rear Hatch Dent | InsideEVs Photos
Does this concern anyone else, with how flush the rear hatch is with the rear bumper? I haven't seen anyone really mention this. I feel like this can be a very costly repair in even the smallest rear fender bender.
check-the-first-images-of-a-tesla-model-y-rear-hatch-dent
Hello there,

No, given the functionality. As others have said, you're less likely to back into something.

The rear bumper cover is made of a soft material, so a small impact would not make any real damage or may be some painting scratch.

However the door hatch is made of metal, and will bend on any impact, so the full hatch will have to be replace.

The NHTSA and IISH use tests to measure the Rear and Front Utility Pole or Tree damage, and the Model Y would be certainly costly.

It would be certainly upsetting to have your tailgate dented while been parked in the street between two cars.

I'm more concern about the 3rd row passengers protection. I would be interested to see
how much crash protection the Model Y tailgate will provide when hit on the rear by a tall SUV.

is-the-2020-tesla-mo-5.jpg

An alternative used for the BMW X5, Volvo XC90, Range Rover is to use a split tail gate, which is more complex. And beside may be a nicer access,
I wonder if this solution would provide a better crash protection than the Model Y tailgate?

A0255764.JPG

04-bmw-x5-2019-angle--exterior--rear--white.jpg

Volvo-XC90-2006.jpg

DubTe8SUVfr4ql0OxABTlDEBYsAK8icG1edLrVUAodmkgHeKk4NjH66qk7ko_Mu70pVGJG3jDlo8T9grzTT2kgsI5A

Last edited:
  • Informative

2:15 - 3:45. Nice!

SS
I've found Munro's videos really heartening. Yes, people who are used to immaculately-assembled German luxury cars are complaining about legitimate but minor assembly defects. Meanwhile, Tesla appears to be nailing the fundamentals, taking the engineering to the next level while maintaining a focus on being the absolutely safest car on the roads.

There's a part in the video where Munro says that the 75% that Tesla kept from the M3 consists of the parts that worked, while the new stuff is all improved over the previous generation. Yes, I fully expect that the next generation of the M3 will backport some of the MY innovations and perhaps even leapfrog them, but for now, this is the most advanced car available.

I hope to one day get mine: if not for the disaster movie we're all living in now, I'd literally be driving it right now.