Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Heated Seats upgrade for Model 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that the upgrade is available in the vehicle profile on the website for AUD500.
The upgrade option does not appear in the phone app.

Resisted the temptation to instantly click without approval from the CFO in the house.;)

Heated rear seats upgrade.jpg

No, the ambient lights are not included, just the 3 rear seat heaters only.

Ok thx for checking.. I certainly hope there's more upgrade options on the horizon because I'd definitely buy one that has ambient lights .e.g. perhaps one that takes a partial premium to a full premium for SR+ owners i.e. so get the lights, rear seat heaters enabled, fog lights, and even the sound system bumped with the add on of the subwoofer and 2nd amp.

Confirmed my car build has the pocket lights and footwell lights working during the last software upgrade to 2020.8.1 .. but no option in lights menu to enable / disable them

IMG_20200311_094710~2.jpg IMG_20200311_094658~2.jpg IMG_20200311_094856~2.jpg IMG_20200311_094756~2.jpg IMG_20200311_094852~2.jpg IMG_20200311_094908~2.jpg

Last edited:
Can this upgrade put actual rather than virtual seat heater buttons into the rear seat console or doors? Asking the driver or front seat passenger to switch on the seat heater seems a little like asking Jeeves.

It actually might be possible since everything is via software..but it may only be possible but using the window up buttons. I E. So with rear passenger window up, one two or three hold ups would turn on level 1,2,3 and fourth hold up turn off again.. just a thought

It actually might be possible since everything is via software..but it may only be possible but using the window up buttons. I E. So with rear passenger window up, one two or three hold ups would turn on level 1,2,3 and fourth hold up turn off again.. just a thought

Its just one of my peeves with Tesla, there are some genuinely useful "normal" items on pretty much every other manufacturers cars. Like buttons for seat heaters. It seems mad that this could have been an oversight.

The other one that really bugs me is the lack of a lock/unlock button on the door. I don't want the car to lock or unlock unless i want it to. Just having the fob/phone within range of the vehicle should not allow anyone to enter the car. On most vehicles, the fob needs to be with approx 0.5-1.0m from the particular door handle with the button to unlock, this provides extra security. It seems in Tesla's haste to impress everyone with the "phone key" it forgot basic security. Now the only way around it is to use the optional fob as the key and then needing to get it out you pocket to press lock/unlock.

I'm still not very impressed with the Model 3 door handles either, they are awkward to use, I'd take 0.5% range hit to have a regular ergonomic handle.

The lack of a regular mirror adjust knob also drives me bonkers, along with the lack of a regular steering column adjustment knob. Having these physical controls doesn't remove the ability to link to endless driver profiles.

And my gawd, what I would give for regular volume knob.

It just seems, they always know better, and if you bring any of this up with some hardcore Tesla fans, you are basically called an idiot.

What's wrong with the left scroll wheel? I zip it up and down without even thinking about it. Just as granular as one of those round ones I assume you're talking about where you reach over to the centre console and rotate left or right.

That's correct, its old favourite, cars have had steering wheel volume controls for years, while I use them, I still reach for the centre console one when im reversing and the steering wheel is not upright, or the passenger just wants to quickly do it.

if you bring any of this up with some hardcore Tesla fans, you are basically called an idiot.

Perhaps as a new owner it's a lack of knowledge of your Tesla that's the issue. That's understandable and not a reason for people to call anyone an idiot. There are a huge amount of features within the touchscreen including the volume control slider and door lock/unlock icon which work just a effectively as a knob or button on the dashboard.

The phone lock operates in the same manner as most new key fobs in auto-unlocking the car when you are nearby and it also auto-locks the car when you move away ~10 metres.

With all due respect, if you bought a vehicle that does away with dozens of buttons and makes their features accessible via an intuitive touchscreen interface I don't think you're going to receive sympathy. Sure you can suggest a physical seat heater button in the back seat as an enhancement but it's a pretty minor issue given you have to ask the driver/passenger to change music, climate control etc. I, like I expect mostly Tesla owners, appreciate the benefits of the minimalist design and inherent benefits of the touchscreen interface and don't want more physical buttons.

On the whole, the features are there in the touchscreen, easily accessible and in many cases easier to use than button based controls. Rather than getting frustrated because you don't know how the car does what you want, I'd recommend you take the time to understand how the feature is supported via the touchscreen and recognise that the touchscreen interface allows your car to be constantly improved over time with new features added.

I'm all for the minimalist design that the screen provides, but I think a few more functions could be easily incorporated on the main screen. There's plenty of real-estate on the RH panel for door controls and mirror adjustments. Never mind the option favoured by (I guess) a majority is to be able to remove the B....y seat heater buttons on the bottom of the screen.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
Perhaps as a new owner it's a lack of knowledge of your Tesla that's the issue. That's understandable and not a reason for people to call anyone an idiot. There are a huge amount of features within the touchscreen including the volume control slider and door lock/unlock icon which work just a effectively as a knob or button on the dashboard.

The phone lock operates in the same manner as most new key fobs in auto-unlocking the car when you are nearby and it also auto-locks the car when you move away ~10 metres.

With all due respect, if you bought a vehicle that does away with dozens of buttons and makes their features accessible via an intuitive touchscreen interface I don't think you're going to receive sympathy. Sure you can suggest a physical seat heater button in the back seat as an enhancement but it's a pretty minor issue given you have to ask the driver/passenger to change music, climate control etc. I, like I expect mostly Tesla owners, appreciate the benefits of the minimalist design and inherent benefits of the touchscreen interface and don't want more physical buttons.

On the whole, the features are there in the touchscreen, easily accessible and in many cases easier to use than button based controls. Rather than getting frustrated because you don't know how the car does what you want, I'd recommend you take the time to understand how the feature is supported via the touchscreen and recognise that the touchscreen interface allows your car to be constantly improved over time with new features added.

With all due respect, you have only proved my point. While there are plenty of pluses to the screen, the main reason for the car purchase is because of its brilliant electric drive train and supercharger network, not the giant iPad, as generally great as it is.

The volume slider function is no replacement for a knob. Why not move the seat controls to the screen too! Perhaps the window switches? The FACT is that physical controls are much easier to use whilst driving. Quite often I make a slight mirror adjustment whilst driving because I have made a slight seat adjustment whilst driving, that's very simple with a stalk, the screen isn't. Not to mention that most people are left handed and are usually not quite as accurate with their left hand whilst driving (RHD issue obviously). These are BASIC controls, I'm not talking about a 2 dozen buttons for every conceivable function like a traditional car.

Regular key fobs DO NOT unlock a car just because you are within 10 meters of it. They allow you to unlock the door/s (or boot) you are standing next to when you press the lock/unlock button* on the door handle. Completely eliminating a third party being able to open/enter the car just because you are within 10m of it. You can usually set this function to also only allow the door you are next to to open to increase security in dodgy areas (* when I say "button" on the door handle, this can either be a physical button, or a touch sensitive area) Whether the key is a phone or a fob is irrelevant to how this should work. No doubt if Tesla ever admits they stuffed up and adds this in future models, it will be hailed as a great idea.

Don't get me wrong, there is pure brilliance in these vehicles, but there are items that are overlooked which are standard issue from legacy manufacturers.

See below for a crappy drawing of what (in my opinion) would be the best of both worlds. The soft buttons could be used for anything you desire. I like to jump between about 3 different radio stations/streams. That would be three buttons. The left knob would be volume, the right temperature, perhaps another button for one wipe with the wipers, lock all the doors with another (another button on most cars), all windows down? BMW have had this system for a while.

tesla dash.png
Adam.

Last edited:
Regular key fobs DO NOT unlock a car just because you are within 10 meters of it. They allow you to unlock the door/s (or boot) you are standing next to when you press the lock/unlock button* on the door handle. Completely eliminating a third party being able to open/enter the car just because you are within 10m of it.
A narky post in good but mean spirit as I've just had a dose of Cov prevention syrah.
I don't really understand why anyone wants a fob or how often that range will present a real security situation but if it's a compelling issue then disconnect the fob (/phone) and revert to the keycard.
Remember when regular phones had an easy to use dial on them and the added bonus of a fixed point tether so you wouldn't always be wondering where you left them?

And a less funarky one because I'm on the whiskey tonight.
I like the idea of user programable buttons. I'd be happy enough with the ability to assign functions to the available buttons - double clicks on the wheel buttons or wipers. But it's pretty clear that the Tesla design ethos & determination is similar to Apple's - less is more - and they ain't gonna back down now.