Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not angry. But this is a huge disappointment. :crying: We would have gotten the rear facing jump seats if we were never told that it could be added later. I think the only thing worse than poor communication is mis-communication. If it were possible, I would have even happily paid extra upfront for it and have it installed a couple of years down the line.

From an Ownership Experience Advocate via e-mail:
So the fact that they mention "your VIN" implies that early cars can still have rear-facing seats installed?

Not angry. But this is a huge disappointment. :crying: We would have gotten the rear facing jump seats if we were never told that it could be added later. I think the only thing worse than poor communication is mis-communication. If it were possible, I would have even happily paid extra upfront for it and have it installed a couple of years down the line.

From an Ownership Experience Advocate via e-mail:
Thats a bummer :-(
What I do not understand is why they dont just fit all the cars with the backseats that has the mounts for the rear jump seats?? Then anyone can install later if they want. Secondhand owners and whatnot. That would equal more sales - profit for Tesla.

We took delivery on 3/3 and the rear seats were already installed. Our kids love them. My daughter who would normally get sick in our Prius has not yet complained of feeling car sick. We live in NH and we had two days a few weeks ago that were in the low 50's. Both kids complained of being hot. This was a problem since we trek to TN every summer to see relatives and the temperatures there go well over a 100. Our daughter (she is about 4 feet tall) was requesting sunglasses because it was too bright. We installed window tints to help with both issues but since it has not warmed up since will have to wait to see. We tried to put the trunk cover behind the seats but were not able to make it fit. I would guess that there has been some dimension change. The seats, however, seem comfortable and both children have been able to fall asleep without any problems or discomfort. All in all I would recommend getting them if you have the need.

Mine are in!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364669716.988076.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364669730.754896.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364669745.588184.jpg

I put my 2.5 year old daughter back there as well, even though she's slightly below both the height and weight requirement. Luckily the shoulder straps have lots of room to move, so it seems to work fine. My only complaint about the seats is that they are very upright. It's not easy for them to sleep back there as there's nowhere for them to put their head. I gave my son a towel that he could wad up and put his head against the parcel shelf rest. Maybe I'll give him the neck pillow I use for traveling.

I have a stupid question about the trunk release button on the inside of the trunk on the left hand side. My son can press the button to close the trunk with no issues. However, it never wants to open with a press. At first I thought he was just being silly and wasn't pressing it correctly, but I also confirmed it by reaching in and pressing it through the second row. I confirmed the same non-working characteristic with both child lock on and off settings. So am I missing something obvious? I really want him to be able to control the trunk to let himself out for school.

I have a stupid question about the trunk release button on the inside of the trunk on the left hand side. My son can press the button to close the trunk with no issues. However, it never wants to open with a press. At first I thought he was just being silly and wasn't pressing it correctly, but I also confirmed it by reaching in and pressing it through the second row. I confirmed the same non-working characteristic with both child lock on and off settings. So am I missing something obvious? I really want him to be able to control the trunk to let himself out for school.

Try moving the switch in the opposite way (I think it's a pull rather than press). That should open the hatch. We have the switch and the opening movement of the switch is the opposite action. Just can't remember if it's a pull or a slide forward or backwards motion. My kids open and close the hatch, so they would know best! I just press the latch on the outside of the hatch or open and close it through the touchscreen!

Try moving the switch in the opposite way (I think it's a pull rather than press). That should open the hatch. We have the switch and the opening movement of the switch is the opposite action. Just can't remember if it's a pull or a slide forward or backwards motion. My kids open and close the hatch, so they would know best! I just press the latch on the outside of the hatch or open and close it through the touchscreen!

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm still getting used to where everything is in the controls menu, so sometimes it takes me a bit of time to reorient myself. And since I drop my son off at the school curb in a drive-thru fashion, time is of the essence. Last thing I need is some soccer mom going postal on me in the parking lot. :rolleyes::biggrin:

It's just like the window switches. Put your finger in the groove and "pull down" as opposed to "push up". I had to be taught this trick too. :)