Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I like the concept of the jump seats they have proven to be very problematic for my kids. There is no air vents anywhere in the back so the temperature there is almost exclusively determined by sun and outside temperature. There currently is a lot of sunshine here with temperatures in the high 70s/low 80s and my older child doesn't want to sit in the back anymore for she gets grilled. She loves the seat, just not when the sun is out or temperature is above 70 degrees. Has anyone has similar issues?

While I like the concept of the jump seats they have proven to be very problematic for my kids. There is no air vents anywhere in the back so the temperature there is almost exclusively determined by sun and outside temperature. There currently is a lot of sunshine here with temperatures in the high 70s/low 80s and my older child doesn't want to sit in the back anymore for she gets grilled. She loves the seat, just not when the sun is out or temperature is above 70 degrees. Has anyone has similar issues?
I've just had the same experience today with my 2 kids back there. The kids were complaining of heat so I put the climate at 67 degrees and tried to aim the vents up towards the rear opening, but when we got home, my kids were baked and sweating. I am looking to get 5% tint in the back and hope venting the rear windows will help.

Many moons ago (last summer), I raised this concern with Tesla Tech, and they indicated that for those cars with the rear seats factory installed, that they would be putting the same window tinting as included on the panoramic sunroof on the rear hatch of the Model S. Also, that if you ordered the rear seats afterwards, that there would be no rear hatch tinting.

Those plans may have changed now, but I think it would be *great* if Tesla stuck with the original plan of providing heat protection for those cars that have the rear seats.

Many moons ago (last summer), I raised this concern with Tesla Tech, and they indicated that for those cars with the rear seats factory installed, that they would be putting the same window tinting as included on the panoramic sunroof on the rear hatch of the Model S.

This would have been very nice. My kids do not like the direct sun back there and have complained about both the heat and the brightness.
I'm getting tinting done this week which I hope will help.
Matching the pano-roof would be perfect, and Tesla should definitely consider it.

Mine were installed last Thursday, and I will likely do the same in terms of tinting. What tinting percentage best matches the Pano roof? I don't think if I can go by the spec description "the innovative glass blocks 98% of visible light and 81% of heat to keep the cabin comfortable" and assume a 2% film...what have others used?

In the thread on Window Tinting, I've seen owners go with everything from 5-50%.
I'm planning on putting 3M crystalline 40% back there. It has the best heat blocking rating for the degree of tint.
Anyone with the crystalline 40 and kids seats have experience with their kids in direct sunlight in the rear facing seats?
Is the crystalline 40 dark enough?

In the thread on Window Tinting, I've seen owners go with everything from 5-50%.
I'm planning on putting 3M crystalline 40% back there. It has the best heat blocking rating for the degree of tint.
Anyone with the crystalline 40 and kids seats have experience with their kids in direct sunlight in the rear facing seats?
Is the crystalline 40 dark enough?

I have the 3M Crystalline 40 on the back and I don't like the 'look' of it. The side windows look really good though. There is some sort of coating on the back window that makes the 3M Crystalline 40 look BLUEISH/RED. My installer said this is common for high end cars, he see's this all the time on high end Mercedes. This was the first Tesla he has done so he didn't know it would come out like that. It looks like crap on a black car. Looking at the back you see a black car with a blue window that turns reddish in sunlight.

Now, I don't have the child seats so I can't say whether or not it solves the heat issue. But what I will be doing is having my tint installer pull off the 3M Crystalline 40 just on the back and replace it with 3M Color Stable either 5% or 20%, more likely the 20%. Color stable also blocks 57% of heat coming through the windows, whereas the Crystalline blocks 60%, so very close in terms of heat reduction.

I have the 3M Crystalline 40 on the back and I don't like the 'look' of it. The side windows look really good though. There is some sort of coating on the back window that makes the 3M Crystalline 40 look BLUEISH/RED. My installer said this is common for high end cars, he see's this all the time on high end Mercedes. This was the first Tesla he has done so he didn't know it would come out like that. It looks like crap on a black car. Looking at the back you see a black car with a blue window that turns reddish in sunlight.

Thanks yobigd20. Do you think it looks bad in general, or bad on black? We have a blue Model S.

Blueish / Red - is that blue sometimes and red sometimes, or more purplish?

I had the same problem today, 6 year old wanted to get out of the rear facing jump seat, I need to figure out a solution as summers are not kind here. Wonder if the sunroof tinting can be applied to the back.

So I feel like I'm the only one left who still hasn't got the kids seats installed from my due bill. Can this be? I've been polite but persistent asking after them about every two weeks for the last 12 weeks (delivered 12 weeks ago anyway... I guess kids seats didn't start getting pushed out till a little later).

Anyway, just bitching and moaning a little bit here... who do I need to yell at to get these damn things sent over!?!

My kids are jealous of all y'all.

So I feel like I'm the only one left who still hasn't got the kids seats installed from my due bill. Can this be? I've been polite but persistent asking after them about every two weeks for the last 12 weeks (delivered 12 weeks ago anyway... I guess kids seats didn't start getting pushed out till a little later).

Anyway, just bitching and moaning a little bit here... who do I need to yell at to get these damn things sent over!?!

My kids are jealous of all y'all.

You're not the only one waiting. Picked mine up on 12/28/12 and still waiting. Called the service center asking if they knew when my seats were coming in or my floor mats. Said neither has arrived. Although I have the premium floor mats from the Tesla Store, somehow I think all the due bill items are being ignored or forgotten.

I haven't had the rear seats installed yet, and I have a Signature. Haven't heard a peep from Tesla about them. It is probably because the service center in Hawaii where I live has yet to be officially opened. I sure hope Tesla gets it done soon. My son keeps growing.