Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the photos! I thought it had something to do with the fold line, but I was trying to fold it down from the top! I'll give it a try tonight, but I'm sure it will work in our car as well.

Also if you can fit the fold at the base of the trunk, there probably is just a bit of storage space back there to fit something small if you want to hide it from view without the parcel shelf in place. Granted, it will be very small, but might fit something like a little bag or thin purse behind the seats when they are up.

Thanks for the photo it was very helpful, but still a very tight fit on mine. Perhaps the production cover it just a touch bit smaller or the wheel well trim and carpets a little tighter. I was able to get it in but it felt like I was forcing it. There is definitely some room down there and my cable chains fit nicely, leaving the kids a little more room to stow their stuff in the back.

I tried putting the rear footwell cover behind the rear facing kid seats as illustrated in the photo and it worked great! It is a fairly tight fit, but I didn't have to force it. There is still space back there to store stuff like the UMC if I wanted to keep the little sidewell by the chargeport side of the car open for the kids to store stuff on a longer road trip while they use the seats.

@chgd Up
I had the trouble trying to fit the cover behind the seats. My cover might be even bigger than yours.,,

For those keeping track Sig 588, notified child seats available about two weeks ago, but couldn't get them installed until yesterday due to travel. Kids already in love and insist on showing them off to everyone they see. I think a killer add on from tesla would be a pull out ladder that the kids can use like a step stool to get in out that they can manage themselves, or perhaps a slide to really make a dramatic exit/ mobile playground ;)

Better half worried about safety of jump seats

Well, I finalized with the jump seats for maximum flexibility with the kiddos (two boys, one just turned five, the other twenty months) and now my better half is expressing considerable worry about the safety of the seats every time we discuss the Tesla.

My thinking was that it would be handy to have two vehicles capable of hauling four adults and two kids (the Tesla and my wife's Odyssey). Also that the kids would love it.

All she can see, however, is getting rear-ended and the kids' feet becoming part of the rear crumple zone. And, I have to admit, she's managed to get that rather unsavory mental image into my head as well.

Do we have ANY data on rear crash safety, especially with the jump seats? I'd like to think that I didn't just waste $1,500 on these things that could have gone to, say, twin chargers instead.

We don't have any official crash safety data, but Elon Musk has said on multiple occasions that he was personally involved in the design of the rear section of the car and wanted to make sure it was one of the safest areas of the vehicle because of the kids riding in the back. There are double octagonal rails in the back that are designed (according to Elon) to prevent intrusion into the cabin by a car traveling at 50 mph. In other words, the back is not designed as a crumple zone, it is designed to stay solid and not allow anything to get into the rear seating area.

We're all waiting for the official crash testing results to be released by the National Highway Transportation Administration to be released, but the way they operate is to buy a car off the lot (or in Tesla's case, by making a reservation and getting one as if they were a private buyer) and then taking that car through the crash testing protocol.

We have the rear kid seats and are totally confident in the safety of the kids back there. Also Elon has his kids ride in the back as well, so he had a vested interest in making sure that the rear seating area was as safe as possible. The Model S as a whole will most likely be rated as one of the safest cars on the road. The goal was for it to be 5 star crash rated in all categories. The battery pack also provides another level of intrusion protection that is not available in gas powered cars.

Do we have ANY data on rear crash safety, especially with the jump seats? I'd like to think that I didn't just waste $1,500 on these things that could have gone to, say, twin chargers instead.

Elon described the rear seats as the safest place to ride in the car.

My 4 and 6 year olds ride in the back, and the wife and I are very comfortable with them doing so.

First, @blurry_eyed, I thought I would tell you that your kids are famous in my house - they ask to see the pictures every day as we wait for our car and jump seats to arrive.

Second, has anyone found a kid-feet-friendly mat that fits well in the jump seat floor? I want to have that ahead of time, and the mat threads just say that the Lloyd's mat doesn't fit.

For those that have the jump seats, how do you get your kids back there? My 5 year old isn't exactly graceful when it comes to getting in and out of cars, and my 2 year old basically uses anything that the rubber toes on her shoes will grip on. Consequently, I need a nice way to get them in and out of the car, and I hope it doesn't involve me lifting both of them up and in, or them jacking the bumper.

For those that have the jump seats, how do you get your kids back there? My 5 year old isn't exactly graceful when it comes to getting in and out of cars, and my 2 year old basically uses anything that the rubber toes on her shoes will grip on. Consequently, I need a nice way to get them in and out of the car, and I hope it doesn't involve me lifting both of them up and in, or them jacking the bumper.

Set the air suspension on "Low"? :)

The 6-year-old puts his knees on the chrome in the back, the 4 year old needs help. He can get in by himself by putting his stomach on the trunk base and swiveling himself over it, but the potential to scratch the bumper is too much.

The 6-year-old puts his knees on the chrome in the back, the 4 year old needs help. He can get in by himself by putting his stomach on the trunk base and swiveling himself over it, but the potential to scratch the bumper is too much.

This is why I had paint protection film installed back there as well. Xpel Ultimate, self healing. Probably wouldn't cost very much to have an installer put a small piece along the top of the rear bumper.

This is why I had paint protection film installed back there as well. Xpel Ultimate, self healing. Probably wouldn't cost very much to have an installer put a small piece along the top of the rear bumper.

I had the bumper wrapped for the same reason - I paid $400 for the entire bumper but was quoted $75 to just cover the top edge where the majority of wear would be.

@chgd Up
I had the trouble trying to fit the cover behind the seats. My cover might be even bigger than yours.,,

For those keeping track Sig 588, notified child seats available about two weeks ago, but couldn't get them installed until yesterday due to travel. Kids already in love and insist on showing them off to everyone they see. I think a killer add on from tesla would be a pull out ladder that the kids can use like a step stool to get in out that they can manage themselves, or perhaps a slide to really make a dramatic exit/ mobile playground ;)

Any updates? I'm assuming not all of the currently-produced seats are going in non-Sigs at the factory. Any Ranger installations?

I think a killer add on from tesla would be a pull out ladder that the kids can use like a step stool to get in out that they can manage themselves, or perhaps a slide to really make a dramatic exit/ mobile playground ;)

Your post inspired me to consider a solution to this. A small kids' bathroom step-stool (painted sig red, of course!) might be most appropriate, stored on the side or in the footwell...

Your post inspired me to consider a solution to this. A small kids' bathroom step-stool (painted sig red, of course!) might be most appropriate, stored on the side or in the footwell...

Oddly enough I was just looking at this collapsible red step stool on Amazon:

BR Plastics 101-6R-RED EZ Foldz Step Stool : Amazon.com : Automotive

41L4JJefNFL._SX300_.jpg

Any updates? I'm assuming not all of the currently-produced seats are going in non-Sigs at the factory. Any Ranger installations?

I was told no Ranger installation, that it had to be done at a service center. My seats are apparently ready but they are waiting to officially open the Columbus, OH Service Center to do my install.

Has anyone had their seats retrofitted by a Ranger or have all these retrofits occurred at a service center?

I had it casually implied by the Philly Service Manager Nick that they might be able to come install mine via Ranger in Pittsburgh when they get the seats, but it was more of a hypothetical, as they don't have the seats yet. Given that I cannot reach any service center at this point (though Columbus will be only 209 miles away when it opens), I sure hope a Ranger can come do it!

First, @blurry_eyed, I thought I would tell you that your kids are famous in my house - they ask to see the pictures every day as we wait for our car and jump seats to arrive.

Second, has anyone found a kid-feet-friendly mat that fits well in the jump seat floor? I want to have that ahead of time, and the mat threads just say that the Lloyd's mat doesn't fit.

I got the Lloyd's rubber mat for the rear footwell and wish it was cut a little bigger, but overall not too bad.