Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is in the service center now getting the jump seats and I should get it back tomorrow. I asked what the VIN cutoff was and the worker said "6000" - I asked about the 5400 number that was on the forum and he hadn't heard that, he just repeated 6000. He also said that it is technically possible to add the extra crash support for VINs after the cutoff, but that would cost about $6000 extra. On my estimate it says "crossmember installation not required". Will post pics when I get it back.

I got the Torklift Ecohitch which I had the local SC install last week (a great product btw, glad I'm now able to carry up to 4 bikes on my Thule Apex rack). This week I got an email from Torklift about the crossmember, because it has an impact on the Ecohitch installation. From the note:

"As of August 2013, Torklift became aware that TESLA had discontinued the rear impact crossmember on the MODEL S on VIN 5428 and higher and/or vehicle production after March 1st, 2013. This was an unannounced mid year alteration in Tesla production regarding the rear impact crossmember crash bar."

So it looks like 5428 is the cutoff. I'm a little above 6000 but ordered the jump seats from the start.

Are you saying the Torklift can only be installed on vehicles with rear junp seats or on VINs 5248 and lower?

No, but on cars without the crossmember you need to ensure that all the nuts to fasten the Ecohitch are in place. If not, Torklift is now providing nuts to use.

"If your vehicle has the last four of your VIN 5428 or higher and does not include the 3rd row seating, you may need additional hardware as the installation could be incomplete as was clearly outlined in the Ecohitch installation instructions. Torklift has prepared a bolt hardware kit free of charge to distribute to Model S owners who do not have the 3rd row seating and are certain that the factory nuts were missing from the body of the vehicle. In the unlikely event that fasteners are missing from your installation this fastener hardware kit needs to be installed assuming there was no accommodation at the time of the original Ecohitch installation for this variable. "

ChadS, do you have pics of it installed to your car from various angles? How far does it stick out?

There are pics in a few forum discussions here. Suggest searching on Torklift or hitch and you should find some. It lowers clearance when positioned for use but the hitch piece can be removed. I got the 1-1/4" rather than 2" for greater clearance.

If you've recent taken delivery with rear seats or had rear seats installed, please share if they were the "leather" version or the new all cloth version. Thanks.

my loaner vehicle with 13xxx VIN has cloth rear child seats. (the car itself has leather seats). I believe this is a permanant change as the leather seats were too hot for the kids, which was adding to the already-known problem of that it just gets too hot back there and inadequate cooling (thus pretty much forcing everyone to get their windows tinted).

MY BAD, I went out and snapped some pics of my loaner and checked the rear facing child seats. It's still the leather (pleather?) + textileish version.

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

These seats look a lot better than the all fabric ones. Friend of mine just took delivery 2 weeks ago, and got the all fabric ones (like the one previously posted, see link).. looks rediculous
Ed98ibM.jpg

Last edited: