Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear jump seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard from others that it's all cloth now. However, I'm scheduled to get one installed next Tuesday and was told they have the leather(ette) ones. We'll see. I'll update when I have it.

When they install, will they also install the button to open in the trunk as well as the 2nd bumper? I thought they were not doing installs outside of the factory....

When they install, will they also install the button to open in the trunk as well as the 2nd bumper? I thought they were not doing installs outside of the factory....

The reinforced bumper was standard on all cars up to VINs somewhere through 6000. Mine is lucky enough to be within the range. After that, I think the reinforced bumpers were only installed on cars that ordered the seats during configuration. I believe it holds true for the 2nd row seats having the hardware for the 3rd row jump seats.

I don't know about adding a button to open the trunk. I'm assuming no but will find out soon.

Received an email response regarding heat in the back. Doesn't seem like they have much of a solution. Wonderful.

Tip 1: Precondition your Model S
Use the mobile app to quickly chill the passenger cabin to a comfortable temperature a few minutes before you plan to leave.

Tip 2: Disable Auto Climate Control and Enable Fresh Air Mode
Enable Fresh Air mode when carrying passengers in the rear facing seats. This mode continually moves cool air from the front to the rear of the vehicle. Setting the temperature to low and selecting both dashboard and floor vents will further increase chilled airflow to the second row and rear facing seats without overcooling the first row. Selecting multiple vents also reduces airflow noise. Fan speed can be adjusted to comfort.

Auto climate control maximizes energy efficiency by recirculating a portion of cabin air to manage cabin temperature, but this setting also reduces airflow to the third row seat area in extreme heat.

Recommended settings when carrying rear facing seat passengers:

C:\Users\WHOAMI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.jpg

Tip 3: Apply an Infrared Film to Rear Liftgate Glass
If you frequently carry passengers in your rear facing seats, consider having a high-quality infrared (IR) film such as 3M Crystalline or Solar Gard Ultra Performance installed to the inside surface of your vehicle's rear liftgate glass to reduce the total solar heat transmitted through the glass. Tesla recommends customers select a product that meets local road use guidelines in their area.

Received an email response regarding heat in the back. Doesn't seem like they have much of a solution. Wonderful.

Old news, unfortunately. Lack of ventilation back there is an unfortunate oversight in an otherwise extraordinary vehicle. I'm sure Tesla will implement a solution at some point in the Model S' run, but I'm equally sure that there will be no reasonable retrofit option available (either in terms of ability or cost).

It's an expensive disappointment, but one that I'm chalking up to the learning curve of building an exceptional new car. I'll still get enough use out of them to be useful.... just not in the summertime. ;-)

For what it's worth, my children have found it very comfortable even through summer after the installation of Crystalline 40 to the rear window, and when I run the climate control on standard "auto" mode at 68-69 degrees. Before the installation of the film, my 7 year old would come out with a bit of perspiration.

Again, they are useless in Texas 6 months out of the year. +1hftodd ... it is the one thing that I had wished I had not gotten. I have film on the windows and have even ghetto'd a vent system which works - if everything is 100% perfect (garage to garage travel, light clothing, well fed non complaining children, etc.) I am okay with everything else in the car, even the lact of rear proximity sensors. But this one gives me that "dude, you got taken" feeling. Oh well, it will be time to get them back there next month. It still is in the 90s here ...

Again, they are useless in Texas 6 months out of the year. +1hftodd ... it is the one thing that I had wished I had not gotten. I have film on the windows and have even ghetto'd a vent system which works - if everything is 100% perfect (garage to garage travel, light clothing, well fed non complaining children, etc.) I am okay with everything else in the car, even the lact of rear proximity sensors. But this one gives me that "dude, you got taken" feeling. Oh well, it will be time to get them back there next month. It still is in the 90s here ...

Somewhere down the line when your kids outgrow the seats, maybe you can sell them on TMC to someone who is in the market for some seats and you can feel less "taken."

I've heard from others that it's all cloth now. However, I'm scheduled to get one installed next Tuesday and was told they have the leather(ette) ones. We'll see. I'll update when I have it.

Dropped off my car today to get the seats. They showed me the seats they're putting in and they're all cloth. Slightly disappointed but just happy I'm able to get the seats. Honestly, they don't look as bad in person...or maybe that's just me rationalizing. Also, the loaner I have (vin 21xxx) has all cloth 3rd row seats as well.

There is an emergency mechanical release near the trunk light. Couldn't quickly find on TMC but here's a post from the TM forums.

Warning to parents w/ rear facing seats! | Forums | Tesla Motors

Thanx! Just below the light there is a thin plastic cover plate the size of a large US postage stamp. I tried to pull it out, thinking it was a release lever, but it did not yield. If the car was on fire I probably would have succeeded. :biggrin:

It would have been nice to tailgate during an extended period of immobilization.
--

Dropped off my car today to get the seats. They showed me the seats they're putting in and they're all cloth. Slightly disappointed but just happy I'm able to get the seats. Honestly, they don't look as bad in person...or maybe that's just me rationalizing. Also, the loaner I have (vin 21xxx) has all cloth 3rd row seats as well.

Picked up my car today and to my surprise, I got the leather(ette) version. So I guess the service center lied to me but in a good way =) I do like this version much better but still think the cloth version is pretty nice as well.

Rear Jump Seats.JPG