Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Jumpseats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't order my P85+ with jumpseats as my kids are all grown up now. But I couldn't help but notice just how close it is to the rear when I was driving to get groceries this morning and saw another MS with children in the rear. Is it me or does it make some of you uneasy? Has Tesla performed the proper tests for rear impact with the jumpseats? I've seen the reports for frontal collisions for the MS, but what about the rear? Just a thought, I guess a scary one at that.

I didn't order my P85+ with jumpseats as my kids are all grown up now. But I couldn't help but notice just how close it is to the rear when I was driving to get groceries this morning and saw another MS with children in the rear. Is it me or does it make some of you uneasy? Has Tesla performed the proper tests for rear impact with the jumpseats? I've seen the reports for frontal collisions for the MS, but what about the rear? Just a thought, I guess a scary one at that.

darth, as you know I ordered almost the same car as you, and I didn't get the jump seats either. My wife and I are newly married and we don't have any kids yet. I do, however, have two nieces ages 6 & 8, that could fit back there, and since I ordered pretty much every other option I was going to order this one too. My wife convinced me that we wouldn't want to put our nieces, let alone any future kids back there anyway, so I didn't get it. Also, it reduced the amount of extra cargo space under the rear mat, so that was an added reason not to order it.

Judging safety by simple observation is not a very reliable method as there are a lot of factors - including the fact that you are less likely to worry about seating positions that you commonly use, even if they are just as close or closer to the edges of the car.

Look at IIHS injury numbers for various positions in a vehicle. Rear-collisions typically have very low speed differentials. Tesla paid a lot of attention to safety and trunk intrusion is very unlikely. If you put your kids in the front or back seat (as opposed to the jumpseats) of any car, unless it's in the middle they are very close to the door. Side impacts typically have higher impact speeds, and so there are more serious injuries there (even after adjusting for how often somebody sits there).

Obviously it will vary by car and I haven't looked at the numbers for a while (my kids have been taller than me for years) but generally speaking, the jumpseats are safer than the front passenger seat or the two sides in the rear. (The middle seat of the rear is probably the safest overall, though).

Judging safety by simple observation is not a very reliable method as there are a lot of factors - including the fact that you are less likely to worry about seating positions that you commonly use, even if they are just as close or closer to the edges of the car.

Look at IIHS injury numbers for various positions in a vehicle. Rear-collisions typically have very low speed differentials. Tesla paid a lot of attention to safety and trunk intrusion is very unlikely. If you put your kids in the front or back seat (as opposed to the jumpseats) of any car, unless it's in the middle they are very close to the door. Side impacts typically have higher impact speeds, and so there are more serious injuries there (even after adjusting for how often somebody sits there).

Obviously it will vary by car and I haven't looked at the numbers for a while (my kids have been taller than me for years) but generally speaking, the jumpseats are safer than the front passenger seat or the two sides in the rear. (The middle seat of the rear is probably the safest overall, though).

I looked into this myself and found the same information. I went for the jumpseats as I routinely need a couple extra seats and this was a great option.

Living in the desert, my concern was less with crash safety and more with climate control safety. In the end, I figured even I can't use them for 4 months out of the year, I can the rest of the year. Afterall, whats another 1500 after you load up this car anyway? lol.

My wife and I regularly take our 4 sons (13, 7, 5, and 7 months) in the Model S, it's now the family car even for weekend trips. The 7 & 5 year olds get to ride in the back, and they love every bit of it.

Also, when you order the rear seats, there is an extra solid cross-bar that is mounted underneath the rear bumper. It makes rear impacts harsher on the overall car, but safer for the rear passengers.

That's also the reason why rear seats aren't available as a retrofit option.

Also, when you order the rear seats, there is an extra solid cross-bar that is mounted underneath the rear bumper. It makes rear impacts harsher on the overall car, but safer for the rear passengers.

That's also the reason why rear seats aren't available as a retrofit option.

Ah, I see. Makes a whole lot of sense and great to hear that Tesla is solidly ahead in design and safety.