Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear LED burn out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed two LEDs in my rear passenger trunk mounted light have burned out. Is it possible to replace the burn outs or do I need to order an entire new piece?

upload_2019-1-10_15-8-58.png

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
If you can get the soldered array out, you can desolder the defective LEDs and solder in new ones. The problem is going to be matching the brightness.

Looking at your picture, the lights look symmetrical. Are you sure there are bad LEDs? Even if there are, I am not sure it is noticable, not to me anyway.

If they bother you enough to replace the light I’d be interested in attempting the repair, as more of a challenge than anything else. I suspect the light is a heat sealed unit, if so it’ll be nearly impossible to get to the soldered board without destroying the light. If the light is held together with screws, it should be fixable.

Reactions: outdoors and mongo
If you can get the soldered array out, you can desolder the defective LEDs and solder in new ones. The problem is going to be matching the brightness.

Looking at your picture, the lights look symmetrical. Are you sure there are bad LEDs? Even if there are, I am not sure it is noticable, not to me anyway.

If they bother you enough to replace the light I’d be interested in attempting the repair, as more of a challenge than anything else. I suspect the light is a heat sealed unit, if so it’ll be nearly impossible to get to the soldered board without destroying the light. If the light is held together with screws, it should be fixable.

If there is a easy way to open them up please let me know. This guy has been hitching a ride for an awful long time.

20181202_135929.jpg

If there is a easy way to open them up please let me know. This guy has been hitching a ride for an awful long time.

View attachment 368042

Hmmm, he got in there somehow, there must be a hole. You might be able to remove the light assembly and shake him out of whatever hole he found to crawl in. I assume he’s been dead a long time so he’ll be brittle. Shaking will likely reduce him to parts. Even if you can’t get him out, the disassembled fly crumbs may be less noticable. If he’s stuck, depending on where the hole is, you might be able to dislodge him with a plastic wire tie.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors

Not my car, just for diagramming.