Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Left Motor Power May Be Reduced - WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove home from work car drive fine. I hit supercharger to top off for some VBOX pulls. While connected to supercharger this popped up on dash cluster. I then stopped supercharger. I then got out of the car, locked doors for a few seconds, then unlocked and went back in car. Notification still appeared on the dash. Drove out of the supercharger area and punched it. Notification moved to "history" and car said "no active alerts." Car pulled fine based on seat of the pants feel. VBOX I hit 150 MPH trap speed in quarter mile pull so don't think there was any "loss of power." I did multiple pulls back to back to back in drag strip mode. Seemed fine. I haven't hooked the car up to the charger at my house and let it sit all night.

Something to be concerned about or just a glitch?

Attachments

• 241115026_606169351673_4218572165991473315_n.jpg
    241115026_606169351673_4218572165991473315_n.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 289
  • 241273003_606169341693_3999573258890151298_n.jpg
    241273003_606169341693_3999573258890151298_n.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 136
To me, it would be of concern. The warning says to schedule service. I would do so, through the app on your phone. My experience is a tech will look at the logs in your car, and determine the issue, order parts, etc., prior to your appointment. If it was an anomaly, they will tell you and cancel the appointment. If you call your Tesla store to schedule service, you may waste your time if it is an anomaly, as you will likely not receive any service until you take your car in.

Reactions: Sigma4Life
I called service. Got a live person. They asked me a few questions, put me on hold, then had a few more follow up questions, put back on hold. Then told me spoke to senior technicians that remotely reviewed logs on car said no faults found. Said juts keep an eye on it and if it happens again let us know and otherwise to not worry.

I've had the same error for both the rear left and then the rear right. Happens when I put it in Drag Strip mode and it's ready to launch.
Will be scheduling service.

---
DIRER_a103
Rear right motor power may be limited
OK to drive - Schedule service
---

I just got this today. Car has 250 miles on it, got it just over a week ago. This is quite concerning given that this is a brand new car. Hopefully this is not a trend.

For anyone else finding this post, here's all the info from my experience...
  • Car is not even 2 weeks from delivery where it had 3 miles on it, 250 miles on it at the time of the notification
  • Car hadn't been driven for 2 days.
  • Garage kept, temperature outside was 50 degrees (SLC, UT)
  • Jumped in car to put in drag strip mode, state of charge was about 60% and was plugged into mobile charger (the slow 4mph charge while I await new charger install in new house)
  • Got in car about 15 minutes later to this message "Rear right motor power may be limited. OK to drive - Schedule service" - code DIRER_a103
  • I took it out of drag strip mode, left it in plaid and tried to give her some gas (not sure if I should call it that, haha) and the power is definitely not there. I would say it feels a tad slower than my old P90DL ludicrous. I then put it in sport and leaving it alone until service or Tesla says otherwise, don't want to risk it. (Side note, anyone else feel that sometimes chill can be too slow? One time I had been waiting to pull onto road but the traffic was crazy and was waiting a couple minutes, an opening that was big enough - when the power is there - opened but then I forgot I was in chill and kinda felt like a jerk to the driver I pulled in front of...)
  • I used the app to upload image and schedule service, first available appt was December 3rd. I messaged them asking if there's any way to get in sooner seeing as this thing is brand now :(

I'm super busy with work right now so I will try and call someone today or tomorrow and I will post any future updates, wish me luck

Attachments

• tesla error.jpg
    tesla error.jpg
    847 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Beginning to wonder if there is a firmware bug throwing false positives.

Didn't someone else mentioned their service said "no issues, let us know if the error comes back" after checking the logs?

Yeah that was me. They told me software bug and remote logged the car zero errors. Car ripped on my VBOX deep 9s shortly after the notification. Since I made this thread it hasn't (knock on wood) reared it's head since. I hooked it up to a Supercharger for a 65-90% charge just to see if this would pop up again. It didn't and was uneventful. I made this thread in September so two months later hasn't come back up again car has just under 3,300 miles now.