Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear License Plate Frame

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Red Beauty yesterday and I'm over the moon! She's absolutely wonderful. But.....minor problem. I can't get the license plate into the frame to mount on rear of the car. duh .... There's a 'lip thingy' on bottom middle and I put bottom of plate into frame but then the top doesn't line up with the holes. What's the trick for this? So far all I've done is cut my finger and jab a screwdriver into my thigh trying to get the frame and plate lined up. Help please!

Are you talking about the black plastic holder attached to the body of the car?

May be a picture would help.

M3 Rear License Holder (Front) .jpg

• Informative
Reactions: LionXng
No, I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm working with the silver color frame that goes around the license plate. Your question gave me an idea--maybe I'll go out to the car and work with that black background piece and the frame and the plate to see if somehow they all 3 will fit together. Thanks!

No, I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm working with the silver color frame that goes around the license plate. Your question gave me an idea--maybe I'll go out to the car and work with that black background piece and the frame and the plate to see if somehow they all 3 will fit together. Thanks!

It's now 20 minutes later.....Watts-Up, your info lead me to the solution to the problem! Mea culpa! I was trying to use the same type of screws that my other car used and of course they didn't fit!
Lesson learned: the Tesla is different from all other cars, and that includes the little machine screws that came with it. I hadn't looked in the packet with front plate holder, so I missed the little screws for the rear plate. My bad again.

So now, the problem is solved. I have a valid plate on the back of the car so I can drive it on the streets. I'm not going to put the front plate on until after the PPF and ceramic coating are done on Oct. 19-20. All is well in my Tesla world tonight.

Reactions: Anna St
It's now 20 minutes later.....Watts-Up, your info lead me to the solution to the problem! Mea culpa! I was trying to use the same type of screws that my other car used and of course they didn't fit!
Lesson learned: the Tesla is different from all other cars, and that includes the little machine screws that came with it. I hadn't looked in the packet with front plate holder, so I missed the little screws for the rear plate. My bad again.

So now, the problem is solved. I have a valid plate on the back of the car so I can drive it on the streets. I'm not going to put the front plate on until after the PPF and ceramic coating are done on Oct. 19-20. All is well in my Tesla world tonight.
In fact I didn't use the metal frame but a Clear Cover License Plate both for the front and the rear.

For the front:
- I used the Tesla license holder that is tapped to the front body.
I have some PPF and the tapes work fine, you can remove the tapes and they don't leave any mark.
I protected the front license plate to get damaged when parking in the street:
- I used the Clear Cover License Plate and
- a License Bumper.

License plate Clear Cover .jpg

Front Bumper License plate .jpg

I never did understand license plate covers for the rear of a car. For the front it makes sense due to bugs, tar and other crap from the road. Nothing ever should be on your rear plates except dust or dirt.
I used to have a cover on my front plate but I ripped the whole thing off when Ohio did away with it this summer.

Reactions: Perscitus
I never did understand license plate covers for the rear of a car. For the front it makes sense due to bugs, tar and other crap from the road. Nothing ever should be on your rear plates except dust or dirt.
I used to have a cover on my front plate but I ripped the whole thing off when Ohio did away with it this summer.
My issue was with putting the plate into the frame, but I finally got it. I agree, covers usually just obscure the license plate itself; I don't see a need for them either. ooh! I hope you didn't leave marks or scratches on the front when you took that one off. So OH only requires a rear plate now? Maine requires two.

In fact I didn't use the metal frame but a Clear Cover License Plate both for the front and the rear.

For the front:
- I used the Tesla license holder that is tapped to the front body.
I have some PPF and the tapes work fine, you can remove the tapes and they don't leave any mark.
I protected the front license plate to get damaged when parking in the street:
- I used the Clear Cover License Plate and
- a License Bumper.

View attachment 593944

View attachment 593949
Thanks again for your helpful into. Safe driving! :)

My issue was with putting the plate into the frame, but I finally got it. I agree, covers usually just obscure the license plate itself; I don't see a need for them either. ooh! I hope you didn't leave marks or scratches on the front when you took that one off. So OH only requires a rear plate now? Maine requires two.
I just pulled it off then used acetone and a wadded up bunch of paper towels to get the glue off. Looks perfect. However the front bumper was wrapped and ceramic coated before the front plate holder was stuck to it. So i'm good.

I did use a WeatherTech ClearFrame for the front plate and Tesla included a Model 3 frame on the rear so I kept that. No cover though.

I just pulled it off then used acetone and a wadded up bunch of paper towels to get the glue off. Looks perfect. However the front bumper was wrapped and ceramic coated before the front plate holder was stuck to it. So i'm good.

I did use a WeatherTech ClearFrame for the front plate and Tesla included a Model 3 frame on the rear so I kept that. No cover though.
I’m jealous. Texas and their stupid 2 plate law. I ignored it for years in west Texas with only two warnings. Got to south Texas and got pulled over twice in a month. Decided it wasn’t worth the fight on the Tesla.

Reactions: Anna St
I was wishful thinking a noticeable increase in range but didn’t so the only added benefit is an easier to clean front end. Hopefully the population in Texas will pressure lawmakers do away with the front plates. But right now they seem to be more concerned with drop off boxes.

I have the (I guess) stock plate holders on my new Y. They take M5 metric screws and they are super short. Problem is they seem to work themselves out as I drive, I've already lost two before I even gotten my metal plates. I cannot find these screws anywhere. Where do I get replacements?

I have the (I guess) stock plate holders on my new Y. They take M5 metric screws and they are super short. Problem is they seem to work themselves out as I drive, I've already lost two before I even gotten my metal plates. I cannot find these screws anywhere. Where do I get replacements?
Assuming you still have a reference screw to check size, you should be able to find similar screws at Home Depot or Lowes in the screws section. Look for the drawers which hold the metric screws.

This post says they are M5-0.8 x 6 mm (but I would bring a reference screw to be sure):
License Plate Screw Size

Here's some links you can use to see if your local Home Depot may stock them (both Flat and Pan Head):
Everbilt M5-0.8 x 6 mm Phillips Flat Head Stainless Steel Machine Screw-843848 - The Home Depot
Everbilt M5-0.8 x 6 mm. Phillips Pan-Head Machine Screws (2-Pack)-12518 - The Home Depot

Or if they don't stock that size, I find Ace Hardware seems to stock a better selection of niche screws their drawers (usually Hillman). The screws really shouldn't back out on their own from driving, but if that remains a problem, you can buy some Loctite Blue in the same visit and apply some on on the screws before screwing them in.

Thanks for responding. My first try was a place called 'Elliotts' which is a hardware store known for niche products. They have a huge hardware section. Plenty of M5s but nothing 6mm in length.
I will go to Home Depot next. Even Amazon doesn't seem to have anything this short.
I am using lock washers now, seeing if that helps

Thanks again!