Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear license plate grommet - round peg in square hole?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attached my permanent license plates on my refresh MX this weekend, and I found when attempting to remove the screws, the grommet (the plastic piece that accepts the license plate screw) would spin in place, thus making removal difficult. The grommet appears to be round but fitted into a square-hole on the MX, thus nothing to prevent the grommet from rotating in place.

The square-hole is about 7mm in size - smaller than the standard license plate grommets. I was able to find the correct grommet at AutoZone - Part #467190 or #459630 - that match the square-hole snugly.

If you are installing a license plate on your MX, save yourself the frustration and pick up these grommets beforehand.

What was Tesla thinking when using an ineffective grommet?

Attached my permanent license plates on my refresh MX this weekend, and I found when attempting to remove the screws, the grommet (the plastic piece that accepts the license plate screw) would spin in place, thus making removal difficult. The grommet appears to be round but fitted into a square-hole on the MX, thus nothing to prevent the grommet from rotating in place.

The square-hole is about 7mm in size - smaller than the standard license plate grommets. I was able to find the correct grommet at AutoZone - Part #467190 or #459630 - that match the square-hole snugly.

If you are installing a license plate on your MX, save yourself the frustration and pick up these grommets beforehand.

Agreed! We had to bring our '20 LR+ back to the Service Center to have the grommet removed and replaced when our permanent plates came in. Because the plate frame was screwed into the grommet that just spun, I couldn't get anything between the frame and the grommet to hold it while I removed it. They had to open up the inside hatch trim to get it out. Just frustrating as all get out. We actually had taken a x-country road trip with the temporary plate attached because we couldn't remove the temp until the SC appointment. That was crazy, driving across the midwest plains -- the wind was flapping the temporary plate around like nobody's business. I ended up having to stop, get some packing tape, and tape it down.

Thank you.

I picked these up, pushed, prodded, hammered and they still will not fit. I simply cannot get anything to fit inside these holes to mount a license plate...what a joke for a 100K+ vehicle!

I picked these up, pushed...
Make sure you are using the correct size grommet, which is smaller than a "standard" grommet which usually comes with license plate kits. Picture attached of the correct part.

Attachments

• 20220428_230341~2.jpg
    20220428_230341~2.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 319
I was at the local Tesla service center today and I noticed on a MX Plaid that was awaiting delivery that the rear license plate attachment has changed. The new system is a black plastic frame, the size of the license plate, which is bolted to the vehicle. The plastic frame has four metal screw-holes to which you attach the license plate. It does not appear that you can retrofit this frame to earlier vehicles due to the attachment bolt locations.
20220512_144636~2.jpg

Last edited: