Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear lower control arms being cut through due to the chains!

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Was underneath my MS this morning and noticed this equally on both sides on the bottom of the control arms:

i-RkBnXkk-X2.jpg

i-LdLdZ4D-X2.jpg

It's at about a 45 degree angle pointing down. There's literally nothing I can from suspension fully compressed to full extended that would get remotely close to this. The closest thing is the rim of the wheel itself and the only thing that lines up with that angle but there's no sign of rubbing on the inside of the rim. It's at least an inch away from it.

It's even on both sides. I'm completely stumped. But I remember someone posted something similar a while back. Not sure if it was the same part.

The only reason I checked is there was another post recently about a rear lower control arm failing so I got paranoid and decided to check. Glad I did.

The other parts damaged are the wishbone links which are cheap. The control arms are going to be expensive.

SDRick

Jun 25, 2015
SD CA United States
If it was the rim you would hear and feel it. Good thing you looked! That's just crazy, hope the cause is determined and you can get it fixed ASAP!

(Too bad you can't fix the title).

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
looks like someone took a grinder to them?

It looks just like a grinder. Just got back from underneath again to see if there's ANYTHING at all that could have gotten close to it but it's pointing down at a 45 degree angle. Anything on the side or above would have resulted in a cut on the side or the top.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
If it was the rim you would hear and feel it. Good thing you looked! That's just crazy, hope the cause is determined and you can get it fixed ASAP!

(Too bad you can't fix the title).

There's no sign of rubbing on the inside of the rim, but the closest part of the rim is an inch out and at least an inch down. Plus the wheel couldn't have cut such a deep narrow groove.

OPRCE

Jun 16, 2018
Bern, CH
Holy Sheet, how long since you last looked under there / last service?

The symmetry is practically perfect, which IMHO more or less rules out the angle grinder theory ...

Dave EV

Jun 23, 2009
San Diego
No way it came like that from the factory. You can tell be the oxidation that it's been done fairly recently. Really weird!

My best guess is that the rear wheels are moving forward enough under hard acceleration that it's rubbing on something in front of the lower arms. Is there wear on something in front of the lower arms? Pull off a wheel and it should be easy to inspect.

Doesn't seem like anything is close enough to hit it, though. Tire wear is OK?

Last edited:

SDRick

Jun 25, 2015
SD CA United States
It is difficult to tell exactly by the pictures, but if cut by a grinder, wouldn't the cut be deeper into the darker colored circular material? Would you happen to have a 4, 5 or 6 inch grinder wheel and if it matches up?

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC