Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear middle seatbelt buckle rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having an ongoing issue with a metallic rattle coming from the back. I bought it in for service when I picked up my car back in late June as one of the issues. It started getting worse recently, but it was more of an annoyance since I drive with music on and don't really hear it. Dropping the driver and middle rear seats reduced the noise entirely so I knew where to focus.

Notes:
- I initially thought it was from the hatch area.
- Adjusting the rear middle headrest seemed to change things.
- Dropping the rear middle rear seat seemed to change things.
- Dropping both drivers-side and middle rear seats eliminated the noise.

Diagnosis:
- I pulled the rear seats (really easy--pull up on the front corners) and started tapping on the rear headrests and listened for the rattling. It sounded like it was coming from the middle rear seat area.
- I tapped on the rear headrests while holding various cables. Tesla did a great job with the cables and they won't make any noise.
- I tapped on the rear headrests while applying pressure to various metal cross members and it stopped when I pressed down on the cross member.
- I tried tightening the various bolts (11mm, 13mm), but they were all tight already.
- I eventually isolated it to the rear middle seatbelt buckle (see red circle). It seemed a bit looser than the others and when I taped the middle buckle to the passengers buckle the rattling went away. Its loose or might be missing a washer.
- Unfortunately, the screw/bolt has a torx t45 or t50 head and there isn't enough space to get in there. I need to check if there's a nut so I can come in from the other side.

rear_seatbelt_buckle_rattle.png
I scheduled a mobile service appointment. I don't want to mess up with torx, but I'm going to try to fix this myself and cancel the mobile service since it should take <5 minutes.

Reactions: Luau26
The Tesla mobile service guy came out and retightened the T45 on the buckle and it seems to have fixed the rattle. :) It doesn't seem like a washer was missing.

The ambient temps have cooled significantly so he pumped up my tires to Tesla spec. Unfortunately, it was way too early for a tire rotation (<3k miles).

Big thumbs up for Tesla service! They've been really good to me.

• Informative
Reactions: Luau26