Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Model X wheel and tire on front in an emergency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh please. I know you're new to the TMC but do some research.

Is Tire Sealant Effective On Tires With Acoustic Foam?

Tire repair sealants can be used in tires with acoustic foam for small punctures. A Tesla service representative has already confirmed this. The tire repair kit, like a spare tire, is only temporary until you can get to a shop to fix the tire permanently or get a new tire.
Well that is interesting because a Tesla tire guy just told me that the sealant will not fix an acoustic foam tire. In fact when Tesla repairs a tire they have to remove the foam. He said there is no way sealant will fix the tire.

Here are the most important two tips I learned from many many years driving BMW's that didn't have run-flats and didn't have a spare either. Just a can of fix-a-flat, a compressor, and a prayer book/user manual.

A) get a plug kit and know how to use it
B) that's it there's no B

A plug kit (as in, an actual kit, not just the one you grab off the shelf at harbor freight, I'm talking that plus a knife, pliers, a compressor, and a jack/tools to get the wheel off if necessary to facilitate) is going to get you out of 90% of puncture issues. 10% of the time, you'll have a gash or something that a plug kit can't help with. half of those gashes, the fix a flat might help hold enough air to limp it to where you're going iwth frequent air stops. The other 5%, you'll be calling for a spare/tow.

But, if you have a plug kit and a fix-a-flat kit, 95% of the time, those will be enough to work every time.
Funny I was just told by the Tesla service guy rotating my tires that the sealant kits won't work on th acoustic foam tires.

I would disagree with him considering the foam isn't on or anywhere near the sidewall and I have repaired more than one sidewall puncture sufficiently to get me home. I'm certain if the puncture is also where the foam is, it won't work, but the foam is only about 6" wide.

Last edited: