Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Model X wheel and tire on front in an emergency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
I'd like to keep one spare wheel and tire at home to use it anywhere on the car in an emergency.

I'm told the "rear on Model X is wider than the front, and may rub at severe steering input, but for emergency purposes would work on the front since it has the same bolt size and offset; it will fit."

Has anyone used a rear wheel and tire assembly on the front and did it work OK?

Also, my front tire got a small puncture in the sidewall; are Model X's a little prone to that? I wonder if there's one with a higher sidewall ply rating?

How often are you likely to get a flat at home? Most of the flats I get are when the car is being driven, usually away from home. IOW, it sounds like a waste to me.

If I was going to buy a wheel for a spare (which I am not, for the reason above), I would get the smaller front tire rather than risking damaging something with a tire too big on the front.

I'd like to keep one spare wheel and tire at home to use it anywhere on the car in an emergency.

I'm told the "rear on Model X is wider than the front, and may rub at severe steering input, but for emergency purposes would work on the front since it has the same bolt size and offset; it will fit."

Has anyone used a rear wheel and tire assembly on the front and did it work OK?

Also, my front tire got a small puncture in the sidewall; are Model X's a little prone to that? I wonder if there's one with a higher sidewall ply rating?
I got new Tesla carbon sonic rims, and SC installed one rear on to the front. It did rub at extreme turning in reverse, but otherwise worked for short term.
I have a spare 20" silver front rim and will put-on a tire to carry on long trips to AZ.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
How often are you likely to get a flat at home? Most of the flats I get are when the car is being driven, usually away from home. IOW, it sounds like a waste to me.

A complete waste. I find it funny people are gonna spend $$$$$$ and waste precious space on a spare tire/wheel that they would maybe use once every couple years.

I just have the $80 tesla tire repair kit in my frunk. In the unlucky chance i get a flat i'll use that or have the car towed (free roadside assistance anyone?). Seems a lot smarter than wasting valuable cargo space by keeping a full size wheel in the car.

I just have the $80 tesla tire repair kit in my frunk. In the unlucky chance i get a flat i'll use that or have the car towed (free roadside assistance anyone?). Seems a lot smarter than wasting valuable cargo space by keeping a full size wheel in the car.

Although I agree with you that it's pointless to carry around a spare wheel in the car, the Tesla tire repair kit (or any other one, for that matter) will not fix newer Tesla tires, due to the foam strip in the tire.

Although I agree with you that it's pointless to carry around a spare wheel in the car, the Tesla tire repair kit (or any other one, for that matter) will not fix newer Tesla tires, due to the foam strip in the tire.

oh please. I know you're new to the TMC but do some research.

Is Tire Sealant Effective On Tires With Acoustic Foam?

Tire repair sealants can be used in tires with acoustic foam for small punctures. A Tesla service representative has already confirmed this. The tire repair kit, like a spare tire, is only temporary until you can get to a shop to fix the tire permanently or get a new tire.

Tire repair sealants can be used in tires with acoustic foam for small punctures. A Tesla service representative has already confirmed this. The tire repair kit, like a spare tire, is only temporary until you can get to a shop to fix the tire permanently or get a new tire.

Do you know if the foam makes the tire unrepairable/reusable?

Well my Tesla representative confirmed that the Tesla Tire Repair kit is useless on my foam-lined Pirelli tires. Go figure.

I just had my third flat tire experience with a Tesla. First flat tire was three years ago in my S model, the next two where with my X model. In all three cases the tire repair kit did not stop the small nail puncture from leaking. In my first experience with my model S it was three hours before the Tesla road service could come with a spare tire. He had to go to another location to get the spare and then got caught in rush hour traffic. I was only 18 miles from the Tesla Service center. Three hours on the side of a busy highway was no fun. Tire two was on my new Model X two years ago that went flat overnight in my garage. So I removed the tire and tried to get it fixed locally. Went to a number of nationally know tire dealers, some handled the same brand. Not one would repair the tire. So I had to drive 50 miles to the service center to have it repaired and balanced. Tire 3 on my X started to lose air pressure about 5 miles from my home. Again I tried the tire repair goop and managed to get the pressure on my tire back up to 35 pounds before the small airpump had to rest. Went several miles and stopped to pump the tire up again. This time I had a mile to go and got the car into the garage with 17 pounds left in the tire. Called Tesla Service center to see if they could recommend a tire repair facility in the area. The told me to try a Firestone dealer or another national tire chain. Fiquered it was two years since last go around and by now with more Teslas on the road I should be able to get it fixed locally. Again no luck, so I had to put the tire in my second car and drive the 50 miles to the Tesla Service center to get it repaired. Only problem was the nail puncture was about 2 and half inches from the edge of the tire and they said it couldn't be repaired, therefore $400 plus for a new tire. Also, Tesla does not offer any road hazzard insurance for their tires as opposed to Costco where I get all the tires for my second car. So you ask why would I now want to keep a spare mounted tire in my garage? I love the car but I hate the issues I have had with flat tires. I am planning on taking a trip around the US next summer and I definately will bring a spare along.

PS. The green goop did not mess up my tire sencing gage. Could be that I keep putting air in several more time after I put the goop in.

Last edited:
I would invest in a good plug kit & portable 12V tire inflator to keep in the car.
https://www.amazon.com/Punctures-Mo...ocphy=9021682&hvtargid=pla-587506091918&psc=1

Husky 12-Volt Inflator-HD12A - The Home Depot

The goop sealant kits are not the best and make a mess inside the tire, (some work OK with TPMS & some don't so read the label) but it can band-aid you to a tire repair shop.
The plug kit is better, Best is to patch from the inside-via tire shop.

A plug kit is not hard to use-

If looking for a spare, consider these folks- Tesla Model X Wheels Rims Wheel Rim Stock OEM Replacement

Their wheels are quality but you'll still need to buy a tire and TPMS- Tire Rack is a good source for that.

If running 20" wheels I'd recommend the the 20x9 slip stream and 265/45 tire. This way you can run it front or back. The only reason the staggered setup 20X9.5s 275/45s are in the back is for load /towing.

I just had my third flat tire experience with a Tesla. First flat tire was three years ago in my S model, the next two where with my X model. In all three cases the tire repair kit did not stop the small nail puncture from leaking. In my first experience with my model S it was three hours before the Tesla road service could come with a spare tire. He had to go to another location to get the spare and then got caught in rush hour traffic. I was only 18 miles from the Tesla Service center. Three hours on the side of a busy highway was no fun. Tire two was on my new Model X two years ago that went flat overnight in my garage. So I removed the tire and tried to get it fixed locally. Went to a number of nationally know tire dealers, some handled the same brand. Not one would repair the tire. So I had to drive 50 miles to the service center to have it repaired and balanced. Tire 3 on my X started to lose air pressure about 5 miles from my home. Again I tried the tire repair goop and managed to get the pressure on my tire back up to 35 pounds before the small airpump had to rest. Went several miles and stopped to pump the tire up again. This time I had a mile to go and got the car into the garage with 17 pounds left in the tire. Called Tesla Service center to see if they could recommend a tire repair facility in the area. The told me to try a Firestone dealer or another national tire chain. Fiquered it was two years since last go around and by now with more Teslas on the road I should be able to get it fixed locally. Again no luck, so I had to put the tire in my second car and drive the 50 miles to the Tesla Service center to get it repaired. Only problem was the nail puncture was about 2 and half inches from the edge of the tire and they said it couldn't be repaired, therefore $400 plus for a new tire. Also, Tesla does not offer any road hazzard insurance for their tires as opposed to Costco where I get all the tires for my second car. So you ask why would I now want to keep a spare mounted tire in my garage? I love the car but I hate the issues I have had with flat tires. I am planning on taking a trip around the US next summer and I definately will bring a spare along.

PS. The green goop did not mess up my tire sencing gage. Could be that I keep putting air in several more time after I put the goop in.
Completely agreed.Very simular experience;)

Hi @UncaNed ,

If you are interested in a spare try modernspare.com
They have many setups for Tesla cars.

The specific kit I bought is one that has an extra cost "ring-spacer" so it can be used
on a front tire without the ring-spacer or with the ring-spacer on a rear tire for the offset...

Whether you wish to buy or not is your choice...

I have peculiar bad luck with tires and it seems they go flat in areas without service.
With this spare anyone can help in changing the wheel/tire and then I get it repaired at my convenience.

Good luck,

Shawn

If I was going to buy a wheel for a spare (which I am not, for the reason above), I would get the smaller front tire rather than risking damaging something with a tire too big on the front.
3 times in 4 years I got a flat near home!

I bought a new complete rear with tire and sensing unit from Tesla. Used it a few weeks ago on the front in a pinch, avoided sharp turns, got by OK and Tesla service center verified that the rear wheel on the front of my X didn't damage anything, it's a lifesaver and an excellent purchase.

Front wheel for spare might have been better, but the curb rash I gave one of the rears was bothering me so I got a new rear instead.

Thanks all for all the replies!

In the unlucky chance i get a flat i'll use that or have the car towed (free roadside assistance anyone?).
When you get a flat Tesla will definitely NOT tow you or fix it for free. It's expensive and they will take forever. I used my insurance tow coverage instead. 2 of 3 times I tried to use Tesla Roadside Assistance it was completely useless and frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
Here are the most important two tips I learned from many many years driving BMW's that didn't have run-flats and didn't have a spare either. Just a can of fix-a-flat, a compressor, and a prayer book/user manual.

A) get a plug kit and know how to use it
B) that's it there's no B

A plug kit (as in, an actual kit, not just the one you grab off the shelf at harbor freight, I'm talking that plus a knife, pliers, a compressor, and a jack/tools to get the wheel off if necessary to facilitate) is going to get you out of 90% of puncture issues. 10% of the time, you'll have a gash or something that a plug kit can't help with. half of those gashes, the fix a flat might help hold enough air to limp it to where you're going iwth frequent air stops. The other 5%, you'll be calling for a spare/tow.

But, if you have a plug kit and a fix-a-flat kit, 95% of the time, those will be enough to work every time.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot