Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear motor disabled in new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received the “rear motor disabled” notification on my new 2023 Model Y (850 miles) while driving <30mph. Felt a small jerk before the notification came up. Other notifications indicated the vehicle speed would be limited to 68mph, then changed to 37mph, and advised not to drive on steep inclines. I called Tesla Service, and they arranged for a tow to a service station and an Uber ride home. Happy with the service support but very disappointed to have such a problem with a new vehicle. Hoping the repair can be done quickly, and that this is the last issue for some time.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Received the “rear motor disabled” notification on my new 2023 Model Y (850 miles) while driving <30mph. Felt a small jerk before the notification came up. Other notifications indicated the vehicle speed would be limited to 68mph, then changed to 37mph, and advised not to drive on steep inclines. I called Tesla Service, and they arranged for a tow to a service station and an Uber ride home. Happy with the service support but very disappointed to have such a problem with a new vehicle. Hoping the repair can be done quickly, and that this is the last issue for some time.
You were happy with an Uber ride home when your brand new $60K vehicle broke down?

That’s concerning.

It sucks but these things do happen, fortunately it went down where rescue was able to get to you somewhat timely and not in BFE.

The diagnosis came back that a faulty seal in the coolant system allowed fluid to leak into the rear inverter, and so the inverter needs to be replaced. Wondering if this faulty seal is a common problem / common cause of inverter failure and the "rear motor disabled" issue for Model Y owners?

Reactions: xtattsbox
The diagnosis came back that a faulty seal in the coolant system allowed fluid to leak into the rear inverter, and so the inverter needs to be replaced. Wondering if this faulty seal is a common problem / common cause of inverter failure and the "rear motor disabled" issue for Model Y owners?
I have heard/read of this a few times. You should get a loaner if the vehicle is in service for more than a few hours. The Uber policy is ridiculous!

Mine died on the A14 on Sunday. Automatic Emergency Braking failure, then limited to 37 mph the. Rear motor failure. The car was recovered and taken to Norwich where I have been told today it needs a new inverter. That will be “some time next week”. I’ve asked if I can get a loaner. No reply as yet…

Mine died on the A14 on Sunday. Automatic Emergency Braking failure, then limited to 37 mph the. Rear motor failure. The car was recovered and taken to Norwich where I have been told today it needs a new inverter. That will be “some time next week”. I’ve asked if I can get a loaner. No reply as yet…
Loner collected. Model 3 LR with EAP. It seems the issue with the rear drive is a failed coil. Should be fixed by next Monday

Reactions: ElectricIAC
ALL cars periodically have failures, just like ANYTHING that you buy.
Manufacturers work hard to decrease the number of failures, not just because customers want it, but it costs money to fix them. Tesla has some significant programs to keep these things from occurring.

The best thing is when they occur early in a product's life. Then there's no question as to who's going to pay for it.

It's going to require a shop visit. In may be in for a few days, or even longer dependent on parts availability. Tesla will give you Uber credits, maybe a loaner.

Regrettably, as you played the defect lottery (that again occurs with EVERYTHING) you lost.

Biggest plus is that life (and the car) is going to get better now!!!!

What a piece of junk! I had the same thing happen to me yesterday and I’m still waiting to hear back from service on the diagnosis. It cost me a $400 Uber to get back home (2 hr drive). This is the 3rd major issue with my 2022 model Y. Exceptional drive, junk build.

same experience here for a brand new Model Y 2023
MODEL X - 2022 Jun - 12Kmiles
Exactly same thing happened for me. Was exiting from a highway and suddenly failed. Very dangerous situation with cars behind me. It gave me only 3-5 seconds before completely stopping and not even allowing me to put blinkers. Have any one explored legal option? This is a BIG safety issue and i am scared to drive the car again with kids inside as Tesla said they are not sure if this will happen again. Please let me know.

MODEL X - 2022 Jun - 12Kmiles
Exactly same thing happened for me. Was exiting from a highway and suddenly failed. Very dangerous situation with cars behind me. It gave me only 3-5 seconds before completely stopping and not even allowing me to put blinkers. Have any one explored legal option? This is a BIG safety issue and i am scared to drive the car again with kids inside as Tesla said they are not sure if this will happen again. Please let me know.