Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Motor Disabled - Less Than 50 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my Black Plaid S on June 28th, 2022 at around 12PM
Build Date: June / 2022
Mileage At Delivery: 25 miles
Mileage At Tow/Current Mileage: 42 miles

At about 6PM on the SAME DAY, I get a "Rear Left Motor Disabled" notification with an error code of DI_a008.
The reduced power on the car was apparent as it felt as though I was driving an 18 Wheeler...
I turned on Plaid Mode in the settings which then made the car a bit more drivable but feeling like a large pick up truck.
I got to a safe location about 5 miles out and parked.

After parking and resetting the car, it now said Vehicle is shutting down / unable to drive with big red warnings and noises.
Called a TOW to my local service center (Pomona Service Center). Tow truck came 1.5 hrs later (rush hour traffic?) and took the car in.

Since then, I've had a very bad service experience...
- Tesla Service took a few days to diagnose.
- Diagnose came back to replace Rear Drive Inverter
- Parts were delayed for 1 week
- Rear Drive Inverter replaced / DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE
- Car has to get diagnosed again / They now want to replace the Rear Drive Motor
- Parts are now on order with no ETA...

Car has been in service center for 20 calendar days as of this post... I know at the 30 day mark, I can legally lemon the car..

I finally found a manager to speak with on the phone today who is trying to locate the "parts" for me to expedite the repair, but she also gave me an option to have Tesla "buy-back" my car. Basically, I'd get my money back - but I would have to start the buying process ALL OVER AGAIN with whatever updated pricing it is now along with the wait time.

This entire experience has been HORRIBLE.. If anyone else had gone through this, please let me know how the outcome was for you. I am not sure if I want to drive a car that has had so many major components replaced with less than 50 miles on the ODO.

0757e339-6378-4d06-9e36-89d5963811dc.jpg

73645728-ec5b-4f84-807f-d1207910a828.jpg

ed858ddc-1997-41cc-8f95-424a6d176112.jpg

It seems to me you had a bad motor from the factory. That is pretty rare. Parts for that new model are still hard to get for several reasons. A horrible position to be in. I am sorry. It is your new car.

Tesla has laid out your options which will make you whole, except for a miserable experience. I think the lemon law would also reimburse your taxes and registration, which nay be something to check into for their buy back deal.

It is a tough choice if you still want a Tesla. Seems like they could prioritize you for another. Your current one should be good as new with the replacement parts, but I would need some other form of temporary transportation. Hopefully you will be able to work something out with Tesla for your decision. A bad first start with Tesla. Only thing similar in my experience was an engine failure at 600 miles on a 1969 SS 396. They replaced the engine. That part came with a week. Good luck to you.

Reactions: RNHurt