Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Motor Disabled-Still OK to Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone see this message. I took delivery of Raven LR in October, have 500 miles and woke up this week to this message. Tesla SC said never seen it, kept the vehicle without a loaner, for a few days. I could feel the regen braking wan't effective, and was told I shouldn't drive it far--by Tesla SC--because would be dragging the rear motor. This would kill the battery range.

...dragging the rear motor. This would kill the battery range.

As long as you got enough range for the errands, I don't see why a shorter range is a problem.

The more concern is whether it would damage the disabled rear motor or not.

I recall that it's ok to drive the rear motor with a disabled front one but it is not ok to do the reverse due to fear of rear motor damage.

As long as you got enough range for the errands, I don't see why a shorter range is a problem.

The more concern is whether it would damage the disabled rear motor or not.

I recall that it's ok to drive the rear motor with a disabled front one but it is not ok to do the reverse due to fear of rear motor damage.

So Christmas morning again message 'REAR MOTOR DISABLED, OK TO DRIVE" but this time I'm in a different city and soonest repair time is 19 days away. This will be interesting to see how Tesla explains two rear motors in 1,200 miles.

So what was the problem? I’m getting the same message in my 2020LR+

I would suggest not driving it and having it towed to a service center. My month old (at the time) 2020 LR+ had the front drive unit fail with less than 1k miles. A lot of users suspected I could drive with just the rear drive unit but this was not the case and the car was immobile.

My front drive unit was replaced at the SC and took about 2 weeks to replace. I've read this has happened to a handful of people on the forums and who knows how many others offline. Seems like a common issue so I hope that's helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
I believe the rear induction motor is primarily there for add power/performance. The permanent magnet motor from the model 3 (now in the S/X) is doing the bulk of the work and is what’s delivering the improved efficiencies we’re seeing. I was told by a credible source that you should be able to drive the car with the rear disabled just fine — you wouldn’t have full power, but temporarily the car should drive “fine”.

I have the same issue. Raven Model S Performance. Was trailered away and now awaiting a new rear motor...

Very disappointing. It only got new front drive shafts 3 weeks ago. These are not well built cars.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
May I ask what year your car is? And how many miles?

Covered under warranty?

2019 built August, delivered October. 8,000 miles.

Needed a new rear engine (!).

All covered by warranty.

I am mad at Tesla as their build quality just isn’t there, coming from an RS6 there is just no comparison.

But to be fair to them:

I firstly called Dartford service, they were no help at all just told me to look in the app and book an appointment (first was 3 weeks later). Then I called emergency breakdown.

They came and got the car and arranged a hire car (the best car my local Enterprise had which was a hateful Renault Koleos Diesel SUV) but at least they arranged and paid for it.

I was due to go on holiday (driving to Switzerland) and whilst they tried to fix it for the day I left they could not. I didn’t want to take a crappy Renault on a 2,000 mile roadtrip so I took one of my other cars. I called Dartford and said did they want to collect the hire car so they didn’\t have to pay for it. They said no problem and paid for it to sit on my driveway for a week until I got back from vacation, then drove the Renault back to Dartford and came home in my car, all fixed.

So in the end Tesla did their best. I debated sending them the invoice for the £1,000 in fuel I used on the 2,000 miles in my 6.0 V12 car but decided not to ;-). I did however feel bad for the environment, I don’t usually use that car so much.

My car has had 5 service visits in 10 months and 8,000 miles. I hope that is the last. When it works it is great and of course free to drive.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Just for information purposes:

Woke up two days ago (on 11th) with this warning message. Went straight onto the app and booked the car in. They advised a booking made for 19th - pretty quick I thought - and confirmed that it was OK to drive the car but to avoid long journeys. Had a thought this morning that I would need a loan car so contacted them (Birmingham (UK) SC) again and the earliest they can do is May 13th! In view of the Covid situation (and the fact that I'm retired) I will not be doing that much mileage - maybe 100-150 miles per week all in journeys of 15 miles or less - I see no problem. In the event that the car dies on me I'll get it towed and use, at their expense, a decent rental. They advise that there will be no charge to me.

Car was delivered late June 2019 (new) and has only done 10K miles.

Sorry to hear that. We are now 8 months on and only 3,000 miles more done but no more visits to the service centre for me since that one.

The new rear motor works just the same as the old one did. So blisteringly fast.

Still I am now doing my weekly day in London again so that's 200 miles a week paid for by Elon for the foreseeable future. May have to keep this car a little longer.