TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear motor disabled

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by napabill, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Carotene

Carotene Member

Oh man. This explains a lot. When I had the rental last month I was doing this exact thing. I was backing out of the garage into the driveway w/o seatbelt when all of the sudden the car slammed on the brakes and the seat/steering wheel memory reverted to easy exit mode. I was so confused. Tapped the card on the console, put it back into reverse and then it did the same thing again.

Fortunately it didn't damage anything that i'm aware. That needs to be fixed ASAP though.

2. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

That may have been due to lifting your posterior from the seat (if you looked over your shoulder) and triggering the parking brake.

• Like x 2
  3. pxthree

pxthree Member

I haven't really received any updates on the car. I have called a couple times to see if they can give me an update and they told me that they are replacing the drive unit but nothing to indicate why they need to replace it. It's been in the shop for a few days so I'm hoping they can finish up with it soon. I did get a software update notification on my phone yesterday and see that it now has been updated to 2018.12.1.

4. drifttek

drifttek Member

Woke up to this, in the morning. Tesla towed to a service center.

So they are replacing the rear drive unit. ETA 3 days. They gave me an Infiniti qx70 loaner

Attached Files:

5. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

Oh no. Sorry to hear. So, this happened as it was just parked? Was it after a software update? Also, what is vin # if you don’t mind sharing.

6. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2018 P100D Model X

I just had this happen to me in my Model X. The Tow Mode seems to have fixed it!!

7. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2018 P100D Model X

Nevermind ... I just put it in gear and it came back

8. madcal

madcal Member

Sorry for the thread resurrection!

I have a 7 month old Raven Model S Performance here in the UK.

I got into it a couple of mornings ago and got the dreaded Rear Motor Disabled message. It would let me drive in FWD only at slow speeds. No reboots cured it and it was towed away. Tesla got it Friday lunchtime. Got a text tonight (Monday) saying that they have not looked at it yet.

Supposed to be driving to Switzerland for a family holiday on Wednesday which now looks doubtful.

This will be the 5th visit to the service centre in 8 months and 8,000 miles. This is officially the least reliable car I have ever owned by a long shot (I am 48 and have bought maybe 15 new cars in the last 30 years).

I had 3 new Audi RS6s for the last 8 years and had zero service visits except for oil / brake changes.

I had thought that buying a Model S that they have been making for 8 years or so would be a safe thing to do for reliability.

I am very disappointed.