Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear motor disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, of those that have experienced this problem when did you take delivery of your Model 3? VIN range? What is the month in the build date on the sticker on the inside of the driver door jamb?

I took delivery less than 2 weeks ago, 3/25 (I previously wrote 3/24 but I got the date wrong). My VIN is 82XX. I can't check the sticker on the car since it's at the SC right now. It was towed around noon yesterday and as of right now it's still in queue for service.

• Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf
Hardware for sure...Although I suppose if they think software caused it then perhaps they could fix it that way. But the fact that they replaced the HV fuse and rear drive unit seems hardware to me...
Do not underestimate the ability of software to let out the magic smoke in a directly controlled power section (esp if the shoot through timing isn't observed). Likely not what happened here though.

The Service Center indicated that the issue revolves around the sensor firmware. In my case, I was backing the car from one driveway to one across the street and I hadn't buckled up. When I shifted from R to D the car's seat weight sensor was ignored and therefore assumed the unbuckled driver wasn't there resulting in an emergency brake being applied. Firmware is going to be adjusted. That's their story and they're sticking to it.

The Service Center indicated that the issue revolves around the sensor firmware. In my case, I was backing the car from one driveway to one across the street and I hadn't buckled up. When I shifted from R to D the car's seat weight sensor was ignored and therefore assumed the unbuckled driver wasn't there resulting in an emergency brake being applied. Firmware is going to be adjusted. That's their story and they're sticking to it.

Thanks for the info. I’ll be sure to be buckled in at all times now, even if I’m just repositioning the car in my driveway!!!

So, if I’m interpreting the posts correctly, if you don’t buckle up even if you move the car a short distance this has the chance of toasting a drive unit by locking the brakes?
Here is the SC conclusion:
"Reviewed vehicle logs with engineering and found pedal monitor had faulted due to pedal being pressed while customer is attempting to shift. This is a known issue and will be rectified in upcoming firmware update. In the meantime please have customer come to complete stop before shifting, especially due to the steepness of the driveway."