Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear motor disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard a clunk and the Model S slowed down while I was driving up the hill. I am not sure if I can still drive it. It's out of warranty. Driving it doesn't feel right as there's some noise it makes in the rear.

Wondering...is it okay to drive my Tesla Model S year 2017 while the rear motor is disabled? Should the front motor suffice for me to drive it until I can get into a service center in 3 weeks?

I got the message: "rear motor disabled - Ok to drive" ... It came up after I heard the clunk ... Says it's okay to drive, but doesn't feel right.
That's pretty definitive. I would be doing more with my SC than waiting 3 weeks for an appointment. check out this link to another thread on rear motor issues
and this link too

Last edited:
This is a 100D with dual motors from back in 2017. I think they are independent motors and the rear motor acts more as a performance enhancing motor? Not entirely sure. I am out of warranty, so it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg.

That's pretty definitive. I would be doing more with my SC than waiting 3 weeks for an appointment. check out this link to another thread on rear motor issues
and this link too
Thanks for sending those links, I did read through them, but they are more for model 3 and model Y... I saw this YouTube link where it explains the different motors for each vehicle (within the first 2 mins of the video). Seems that 100d has two of the same motors in front and rear.

I would issue a support ticket using the app. A technician can remotely take a look at your car and will likely be able to diagnose the extent of the issue. They always give you an estimate in writing before your appointment time. You can then decide what to do and find out how bad it is. In my area, the technician usually texts me within 24 - 36 hours after I open up a ticket. I wouldn't just show up. Tesla service is crazy busy right now. If it breaks down, you have no choice but to tow it and deal with a wait.