Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear motor failure on road trip.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I finally got my car back today but not without another round of fighting to get a hold of someone to get them to transport it to my local service center. I was concerned because the text message I got form Tesla said the process (transporting not repair) could take "upwards of a few weeks." I found that hard to believe so I called 5 auto transport brokers. All 5 had enclosed or standards transporters available to pick up the car the same day I called, all were very persistent with calling me back wanting to know if they could transport my car and when. When I finally got a hold of someone (after many unanswered calls, ignored voicemails and text messages, and finally talking to a person and being transferred 3 times) the guy acted a bit smug and tried to imply that I should feel fortunate because no other car manufacture would offer better trip interruption services. That did not go well. tried telling He tried telling me that it was normal for it to take weeks to get a car moved. I obviously knew better and pushed back on him. To the guy's credit, once he finally went into action things did progress and he was very good at keeping me informed. However, more consistent with the rest of this experience, I submitted the receipts to be reimbursed for my travel back home as I was instructed and have now sent two followup reminder e-mails with no reply. I am dreading the battle that it is going to take to get them to send me a check. On the bright side the car was returned to me clean, charged and working as good as new (better really thanks to OTA updates).

Reactions: Phlier
New LR AWD owner here. Thought I would post my observations based on your parts list. It seems important to note that the rear MOTOR did not fail, but the drive unit - the electronics responsible for regulating the voltage / current applied to the rear motor. Without these electronics functioning properly, it seems logical that the battery (12V and HV) could be damaged from unregulated current from the rear motor's BEMF...just speculation on my part.

Not sure what to make of the audible noises emanating from the rear of the car though...

You are mixing my comments with someone else's. My rear drive was making noise and vibrations when the car moved. It was someone else that posted their car was fixed swiftly and included the parts list. That said the description of the rear drive unit on my repair invoice looked to be the same, it is the entire drive unit assembly.

My rear motor failed yesterday while I was sitting in my driveway. I was about to put it in gear to back up, but was putting my cellphone in the cradle and heard a clunk from the back right of the car. I first got the "Rear motor disabled- OK to drive" message. I looked on forums to try to figure out what that meant, heard a second clunk and then got the "Vehicle shutting down PULL OVER SAFELY" followed by "Electrical system power reduced" and "Vehicle may not restart." My car then became a brick, and has been towed to Seattle from Tacoma.
Getting the car onto a flat bed without power steering as it had to be winched up my driveway as I live on a hill was not much fun.
The report is that the rear drive inverter is faulting out and they are replacing the rear drive unit. They are looking for any other issues and estimate a 5-7 day repair time.
For me, this was fairly inconvenient, but I can imagine this being utterly devastating had I been almost anywhere aside from my house.