Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a similar thing happen to me in my 2 month old 2021 MYP with 2K miles. I was accelerating out of left hand turn and heard a loud bang in the back. I didn't run over anything but when I pulled over, it was dumping coolant. The screen indicated "powertrain maintenance required". For the first couple of times when i tried to accelerate, thudding and grinding noises shook the car. Got it to service center, they will they are taking a look at it on Monday.

I recently had the exact same problem. I have a 2021 Model 3 with only 500 miles on it. I was stopped and accelerated slowly when I heard the dreaded "thud". I had about five error codes on the monitor and I limped home at 5 mph. I had the Model 3 towed into a Tesla service center and they determined that the rear drive motor and right rear drive shaft came apart. They did a good and quick job repairing it but when I arrived to pick the car up they would not or could not explain exactly what had happened to destroy both of these components. As much as I pressed for an answer as to whether it came apart due to a manufacturing or assembly flaw they evaded my question. I'm a gear head so their lack of an explanation does not fill me with confidence for the brand and I will keep trying to get a definitive answer to my question.

• Informative
Reactions: Jo060
I recently had the exact same problem. I have a 2021 Model 3 with only 500 miles on it. I was stopped and accelerated slowly when I heard the dreaded "thud". I had about five error codes on the monitor and I limped home at 5 mph. I had the Model 3 towed into a Tesla service center and they determined that the rear drive motor and right rear drive shaft came apart. They did a good and quick job repairing it but when I arrived to pick the car up they would not or could not explain exactly what had happened to destroy both of these components. As much as I pressed for an answer as to whether it came apart due to a manufacturing or assembly flaw they evaded my question. I'm a gear head so their lack of an explanation does not fill me with confidence for the brand and I will keep trying to get a definitive answer to my question.
Loose lips sink ships. They will never tell. ;)

I own a 2018 Long Range Model 3 with duel motors. It has 44K miles on it and I haven't had any real issues until today. When I placed the car into drive and pressed the pedal, it made a loud THUD after driving only several inches. I then got a message on the screen that read "Rear Motor Disabled - OK to drive". Well, that was a lie because when I drove another few inches there was another loud THUD and a new message appeared, which read "Vehicle Shutting Down, pull over safely", followed by a message stating "Service required, contact roadside assistance". Thankfully I didn't even make it out of my driveway. The tow truck arrived within 30 minutes and I was at the service station about 30 minutes after that. No complaints with the service or the timeliness at all. They had me in a loaner within 10 minutes of arriving at the service center, so the whole process was very quick. I was surprised to have a motor malfunction as I hadn't heard of anyone having this issue before. I'm still waiting on the final diagnosis, but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or hear of anyone else having this issue.
I ordered a Model Y in August. I picked it up on Monday, December 20th, 2021. I was falling in love with it but on Thursday, December 23rd, a block from my home, while I was only going 10MPH, I heard a rumble in the back area and the car immediately stopped. One message said “Pull over safely, vehicle shutting down.” And another message said “Power reduced. Rear motor temporarily disabled.” I contacted roadside assistance. A tow truck arrived within 120 minutes and I was at the service station about 30 minutes after that. They did get me in a loaner within 15 minutes of arriving at the service center. I was surprised and very disappointed to have a motor malfunction as I hadn't heard of anyone having this issue before. Since it was a holiday weekend, it took until December 29th to get my brand new car returned. It was embarrassing, stopped in the middle of the street. During that waiting time, many neighbors stopped to see what was going on with my new Tesla! Plus, I didn’t have my new car to show all my family over Christmas.

I have reservations about driving this repaired vehicle. I just can’t help but wonder if it could happen again while I’m driving 80MPH.

Attached!
Wow, I missed this reply. Thanks for posting. Yeah, the inverter (2nd part listed with the 810a in the name) has been a point of failure on some drive units. They've been updating it over the years, and failures seem to be rare, however, it could be that they've had a batch given the recent number of postings. If I had a brand-new car and this happened, I'd be understandably wary as well, but the repair should be fine as they usually install updated versions of the part.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
You always hear the bad news I have some good news my son-in-law has owned 2 model S and one model 3 and now has a plaid he had put 90,000 plus on each of the S models and 40.000 on the model 3 the only problem was with the first model S this is when they first came out pre-ordered, they changed the battery system. So from his point of view, Tesla is reliable

Reactions: tm1v2
I received the quote on Friday evening. I've not had a opportunity to speak to service yet.

Why has it failed again?
Are the replacement units the newest motors. Ie 2022?
Is the issues of water ingress resolved?
Is the old one repairable? If so cost?

I'm and very concerned as it's is #3 motor. I live in a rain forest! Northern BC Canada.

All in $11 740.12 CAD

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
2018 M3 73K miles. Rear drive unit failed on the off ramp of
I-95. All items warranted. Also replaced the 12 volt battery.
Read over how to get the vehicle into tow mode before you need it on the road. The wrecker driver and State Police were excellent but it was their first contact with an immobile Tesla.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Read over how to get the vehicle into tow mode before you need it on the road. The wrecker driver and State Police were excellent but it was their first contact with an immobile Tesla.
Did you try contacting Tesla Roadside service via the Tesla app?
They ought to get you a tow truck driver trained on Teslas and (I think) with a flatbed carrier.

Purchased a 2023 Model 3 Rear wheel drive on saturday june 10th. After 43 miles and within 24 hours, the car stopped functioning mid drive with "pull over safely" prompt on the screen. Towed to the repair shop where it has sat for 6 of the 7 days i've owned it and sounds like the suggestion is a rear drive unit failure/replacement though still nothing difinitive has been relayed. Saw this post in a different thread that made me EVEN MORE reluctant to take the car back after any amount of repairs:

"If you have a RWD model, there appears to be a common trend of a seal leaking leading to coolant intrusion and destroying the electrical components such as the inverter. $6K isn't the worst, but it's possible that the drive unit could be perfectly fine and perhaps some grounding and wiring components are at fault."

Anybody have similar experience or suggestions as to how to proceed? Getting a corporate sales rep on the phone to discuss has been a harrowing experience.

2 months and 3k later I have to have what seems to me as major repairs, as anyone else had to replace the rear Drive unit in under 5k miles?

Attachments

• IMG_7851.jpeg
    IMG_7851.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7849.jpeg
    IMG_7849.jpeg
    695.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7850.jpeg
    IMG_7850.jpeg
    687.2 KB · Views: 56