Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear motor failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been loving my MY until now. Was driving from running errands and I hear a “clunk” and messages on the display “electrical power reduced”, “vehicle speed limited”, “rear motor failure”(or something like that) and then it dies. In the middle of a busy street. Can’t move it, can’t put it in neutral and move to the side of the road. NOTHING. Tesla roadside is sending a flatbed tow, but I am beyond upset! What if I had been on a freeway?!!!

I was under the impression that if one of the drive units were to fail that you can successfully drive on just one. I guess that’s not the case.
I recall reading somewhere that that's only true for vehicles that have both front and rear induction motors. If a permanent magnet motor fails it supposedly bricks the vehicle whether or not the other motor is working.

Have been loving my MY until now. Was driving from running errands and I hear a “clunk” and messages on the display “electrical power reduced”, “vehicle speed limited”, “rear motor failure”(or something like that) and then it dies. In the middle of a busy street. Can’t move it, can’t put it in neutral and move to the side of the road. NOTHING. Tesla roadside is sending a flatbed tow, but I am beyond upset! What if I had been on a freeway?!!!
It happened to me just as I was coming off the freeway. You literally are unable to drive the car.
However, the next day I was able to drive I have a service appointment in two weeks. I have had my car two months I’m worried it’s a lemon because of the numerous times it has happened

It happened to me just as I was coming off the freeway. You literally are unable to drive the car.
However, the next day I was able to drive I have a service appointment in two weeks. I have had my car two months I’m worried it’s a lemon because of the numerous times it has happened
Seriously? And you continue to drive the car? With an issue as serious as this, you're putting yourself at risk by continuing to drive the car.

Reactions: flstcgranucci
Howdy -

I had a similar issue happen this morning. Barely drove 300ft out of my driveway when car started bucking several times, and 2 warnings:
  1. Power Reduced, Rear Motor Temporarily Disabled
  2. Vehicle Shutting Down, Pull Over Safely

Did the tow setup via Tesla App and that was reasonably responsive. About 2 hours later I had a loaner, which was nice. Very curious to know what actually happened, but I have a feeling that the rear motor is toast.

Anyone have similar experience?

Maybe under some limited circumstances. But I suspect that is just marketing BS.
Just FYI it's real sometimes. The rear motor on a P85D loaner failed on me, and I was able to keep driving on just the front alone. At first I was annoyed of course, then I realized how f***ing cool was it that this car could keep driving after a complete motor failure? Dual motors for redundancy!

However I believe that P85D rear motor was induction, not permanent magnet, and I guess that matters for failure behavior.

Sorry to hear about the problems you had. I’d think of a motor failure kind of like a transmission failure- if you’re lucky you can drive, but generally you’re hosed.

FWIW, I haven’t read about a ton of motor failures with Teslas, so hopefully these are isolated incidents. I agree with @Pianewman , though - if it keeps happening you shouldn’t be driving the car at all

I ran into the same exact problem today. Worst time ever, it was raining, cold, and with my kid in the car. Hoping Tesla will be able to identify root cause and fix it.

This happened to me 1 day after taking delivery of my new car. In the first 100km I drove. They're replacing the rear motor.

What mileage are you guys at? Not very reassuring to see this thread.
This is terrible for sure. Keep in mind though, there are hundreds of thousands of these motors out there and the three failures in this thread are all I've seen reported about this. Seems very rare.

Reactions: M109Rider and voxel
I am observing lot more issues with the newer cars. Earlier it used to be mainly mechanical issues, panel fitments , gaps between doors /panels. There were fewer electrical/ battery or drive related problems. Not sure if this is related to production scaling or supply chain QC.

I am observing lot more issues with the newer cars. Earlier it used to be mainly mechanical issues, panel fitments , gaps between doors /panels. There were fewer electrical/ battery or drive related problems. Not sure if this is related to production scaling or supply chain QC.
...and Tesla is cranking out more cars...

I'll add a data point to this discussion. I took delivery of a Model Y LR last week. Rear motor failure this morning on my commute to work. I'm so glad I drove it to the nearest parking lot because where it told me to stop would have been absolutely devastating to the local traffic. 3 hour wait for Roadside. Luckily I was close enough to work to walk the rest of the way.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2