Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear motor failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 Model Y Performance had a front motor failure today I was able to drive for a while but as soon as the car was parked I received warnings that my car needed service and the electrical system was failing. I just took delivery 3 days ago and this happened in Christmas Eve of all times.
I love this car and company. I hope they at least reimburse me SC miles.

Reactions: voxel
My 2022 Model Y Performance had a front motor failure today I was able to drive for a while but as soon as the car was parked I received warnings that my car needed service and the electrical system was failing. I just took delivery 3 days ago and this happened in Christmas Eve of all times.
I love this car and company. I hope they at least reimburse me SC miles.
Wow... wth....

Reactions: hcdavis3
as soon as I got out of my neighborhood, a message pop up on the screen said "front motor temporary disengage" and by the time I got to work put it in park another massage popped up "vehicle may not restart, service is required ". Put in my service request and by lunch time the car was totally dead, the tow guy came by and said it's a 12v battery, but even with his back up battery he can't even reboot the car. After a week in service center, I got an email said that my front drive motor assy. have to be replace. My car been in service center for 3 weeks now and still waiting for parts, luckily they loan me a model X to drive back and forth to work.
I have a brand new Y - picked up just prior to Christmas with only 220 miles on it right now and got this error with Turtle picture on Friday while driving ‘power reduced - ok to drive front motor temporarily disabled’. Turning off and on did not fix. Set up service for today and took the car in. Service tech said they will replace the front drive assembly and have all the parts in stock and I should have the car back Wednesday. They don’t have any loaners but gave me an Uber credit. I’m pretty freaked out that my brand new Tesla already has this problem - has anyone else had this fixed successfully? Why would something this major fail with so few miles on it?!

Why would something this major fail with so few miles on it?!
The Tesla drive unit contains few moving parts, electronics and sensors. It is probably a failed electrical component. The drive unit will be re-manufactured, used again. It is not uncommon for manufactured goods and components, especially electronics, to fail within the first few months. After that the equipment will generally work without failure for the life of the unit. Towards the end of the life of the unit failures start to occur with greater frequency. For more information lookup "bathtub curve".

Reactions: voxel
I have a brand new Y - picked up just prior to Christmas with only 220 miles on it right now and got this error with Turtle picture on Friday while driving ‘power reduced - ok to drive front motor temporarily disabled’. Turning off and on did not fix. Set up service for today and took the car in. Service tech said they will replace the front drive assembly and have all the parts in stock and I should have the car back Wednesday. They don’t have any loaners but gave me an Uber credit. I’m pretty freaked out that my brand new Tesla already has this problem - has anyone else had this fixed successfully? Why would something this major fail with so few miles on it?!
After replacing the front drive motor, and few other parts my car been great ever since. Been taking it for one trip that 1100 miles and one 1400 miles with no issues.

Have a '13 85, single rear motor. First motor replaced after a complete failure at 23,500 miles. Now with 64,500, the motor has failed again. I drive it pretty conservatively too. In the process of figuring out what Tesla plans to do about it - sure seems like a lemon to me. Naturally the drivetrain warranty expired last year. Can you imagine two engines in an ICE car within the first 65,000 miles? We'll see what happens. Right now, we're looking at $7500 per the estimate.

Have a '13 85, single rear motor. First motor replaced after a complete failure at 23,500 miles. Now with 64,500, the motor has failed again. I drive it pretty conservatively too. In the process of figuring out what Tesla plans to do about it - sure seems like a lemon to me. Naturally the drivetrain warranty expired last year. Can you imagine two engines in an ICE car within the first 65,000 miles? We'll see what happens. Right now, we're looking at $7500 per the estimate.
Unfortunate , but definitely something to think about and re-calibrate our expectations on long term failures expectations based on our past experience with ICE cars.

Took my delivery on 10th Feb. Contactless delivery so had to accept delivery on app to get into the vehicle. he moment I started driving, I could hear very high pitch sound from motor, even at 20 miles speed, even more when stopping. Tesla kept the car for 2 weeks and replaced motor. Now it works fine but I aam less than 500 miles so far. Keeping my fingers crossed. Motor should not fail on me while driving.

I had a rear drive unit failure over 3 weeks ago while on vacation in Big Sur CA. The car just died and had to be towed. My new Y performance is just 3 months old. The tow cam within 90 minutes which was nice but then we had to deal with getting out of Big Sure 4 days later when we were to leave. Had to car service to Monterey to get a rental that Tesla arranged. The customer service (now all through the app) has been non responsive and un acceptable. This is a new car and my service coordinator does not respond. I have no idea how they plan to get me my car in Southern CA or how/if they will reimburse me for the $250 car service to get to their loaner car. I AM NOT HAPPY WITH TESLA AT THIS POINT. If this is their idea of luxury car service they might call Porsche, BMW and Mercedes all of which I've owned and been happy with.

All this has me worried about getting my Tesla in the next few months. I was planning a road trip immediately after getting the car. Now I’m not so sure. Seems like a daily commute would be better for a year before going long distance. I don’t think I’ve seen this issue in other car forms.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
All this has me worried about getting my Tesla in the next few months. I was planning a road trip immediately after getting the car. Now I’m not so sure. Seems like a daily commute would be better for a year before going long distance. I don’t think I’ve seen this issue in other car forms.
I wouldn't worry too much but in general planning a road trip with any brand new car would give me pause as every maker has cases of 'infant mortality.'

I don't think anyone has the numbers to actually calculate the failure rate but it's pretty unusual. I think we're just seeing more reports because Tesla is delivering more cars.

Don’t sweat it really. Most people post to the forums to complain. 95% of Tesla owners are extremely happy with there vehicles.

As others have said, don't worry about it. Motor failure is rare. As a new owner, when you get your car, I would suggest trying out a local Supercharger before your first roadtrip. Make sure your method of payment is set up correct and working on your Tesla account. Use the built in navigation and have fun.

Reactions: soumak
Don’t sweat it really. Most people post to the forums to complain. 95% of Tesla owners are extremely happy with there vehicles.
I love my MYP and agree most people are OCD or complain on all car forums. I'm middle of the road.

My buddy has a 2021 LR MY and he had a motor failure just like the original poster. took to tesla & 6 days to fix under warranty. Happened 3 days ago.

He was driving 25 MPH in his neighborhood and bang, errors, no power etc... pulled over and setup towing to tesla.

no idea

So now a full week later and after someone at the service center near me supposedly went back and forth with the service manager to try to get some of the costs reduced, I got the 'nothing we are willing to do' answer. The estimate is now $6,000 to replace the motor with a 4 yr / 50,000 warranty tacked on. Again, this will be my third motor after the initial warranty replacement 40,000 miles ago. As many folks on these threads have indicated, Tesla's customer service is pretty atrocious. On top of the fact that it's near impossible to get anyone on the phone, they seem to figure they have us without options, so why treat potential repeat customers with any concern? Does anyone know of after market servicers that could actually replace a motor in a Model S?

So now a full week later and after someone at the service center near me supposedly went back and forth with the service manager to try to get some of the costs reduced, I got the 'nothing we are willing to do' answer. The estimate is now $6,000 to replace the motor with a 4 yr / 50,000 warranty tacked on. Again, this will be my third motor after the initial warranty replacement 40,000 miles ago. As many folks on these threads have indicated, Tesla's customer service is pretty atrocious. On top of the fact that it's near impossible to get anyone on the phone, they seem to figure they have us without options, so why treat potential repeat customers with any concern? Does anyone know of after market servicers that could actually replace a motor in a Model S?
Sorry you’re having such a crappy run. 3 motors seems highly unusual and suspicious that there’s something else actually causing the failures.

Just happend to me this week.
As others already reported the incident happens suddenly without and warning sign before.
Luckily I was on a side road only driving 30lm/h.
However, the experience was very shocking because the break-down happened suddenly.
The warning sign came up and the rear wheels stopped.
I had no chance to drive to a safe position. The car stopped in the middle of the road.

The tesla imergancy central was not very helpful. They were friendly but pretty much useless.
I had to organize the tow truck over my regular insurance company.

What will happen if you have this in the middle of a highway driving 120 km/h?
I am not sure if I would be safe as there is literaly no time to react at all. THE CAR STOPS WITHIN SECONDS!

The car is now in the service center. They have to replace the whole rear motor.
But honestly I am very nervous right now. Is it safe to drive a Model Y in a highway?
Do I have to expect a sudden break-down at any time without any warning sign?

Also the response from the service center did not realy help to relax: "It can happen. Things sometimes do break" :eek: WTF.