TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear mounted bike rack

Discussion in 'Model X' started by LondonXOwner, Sep 11, 2019.

1. LondonXOwner

LondonXOwner New Member

I have a model X without the towing hitch. When I contacted Tesla about an after market hitch they informed me that this “wasn’t certified in the EU”??? With the Falcon doors a roof mounted rack seems incredibly risky, that leaves a rear mounted rack as the only viable choice.

I’ve tried looking on the internet, I don’t want to just buy a “universal” one untested. Thule specifically state on their website when you search for a model X that they don’t recommend a rear mounted rack. UK customer service is, well UK customer service at the moment.

Has anyone actually done this already? I only need to transport 2 adult bikes, 3 would be great as one day my son’s wont fit in the boot but might have swapped the X by then.

Thanks.

2. LondonXOwner

LondonXOwner New Member

Has anyone bought a generic rear bike rack that they know works on an X?

3. caesartheday

caesartheday Member

I bought the Thule hitch mounted swingable rack (Thule 9031XT Vertex Swing Away 4 Hitch Mount Bike Carrier) on Amazon for about $500. A Tesla branded rack sold on Tesla website is also a Thule, but you don't pay for branding. It is hitch mounted and also swings away if you need to back into a supercharger in some tight spots, it's also handy when your bike handles stick out too much and you need to open the trunk. It can carry up to 4 bikes. We have 2 adult and 2 kid bikes and all fit rather nicely. The rack is about $20 lbs and is really easy to install. It also has a cable lock with key to keep the bikes secured. We've used this rack with a ski attachment for winter ski trips as well (separate purchase about $300). Some photos attached below.

IMG_0957.jpeg IMG_0749.jpeg

4. LondonXOwner

LondonXOwner New Member

Thanks for sharing much appreciated. My post wasn't clear I guess I don't have a towing hitch and Tesla UK can't fit an after market one so I'm trying to find a different solution.

5. arathald

arathald Member

Tesla won't, the first party Model X hitch needs to be factory installed. However, I believe it's possible and safe to install a third party one, have you explored that option?

6. LondonXOwner

LondonXOwner New Member

I have considered it but I was concerned the rear sensor would get confused or think it has an error and deactivate itself. I asked Tesla about the fireware configuration for a towing hitch (you know somewhere there is a tick box that say towing package is present) but not too surprisingly they said it wasn't possible to get this enabled.

I'd also need to read the warranty small print, I could well see this invalidating that on a 2 year old car.

That's what drove me to the idea of a rear mounted rack. I at least have a fixed spoiler so that isn't an issue.