Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear mounted bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model X without the towing hitch. When I contacted Tesla about an after market hitch they informed me that this “wasn’t certified in the EU”??? With the Falcon doors a roof mounted rack seems incredibly risky, that leaves a rear mounted rack as the only viable choice.

I’ve tried looking on the internet, I don’t want to just buy a “universal” one untested. Thule specifically state on their website when you search for a model X that they don’t recommend a rear mounted rack. UK customer service is, well UK customer service at the moment.

Has anyone actually done this already? I only need to transport 2 adult bikes, 3 would be great as one day my son’s wont fit in the boot but might have swapped the X by then.

Thanks.

I bought the Thule hitch mounted swingable rack (Thule 9031XT Vertex Swing Away 4 Hitch Mount Bike Carrier) on Amazon for about $500. A Tesla branded rack sold on Tesla website is also a Thule, but you don't pay for branding. It is hitch mounted and also swings away if you need to back into a supercharger in some tight spots, it's also handy when your bike handles stick out too much and you need to open the trunk. It can carry up to 4 bikes. We have 2 adult and 2 kid bikes and all fit rather nicely. The rack is about $20 lbs and is really easy to install. It also has a cable lock with key to keep the bikes secured. We've used this rack with a ski attachment for winter ski trips as well (separate purchase about $300). Some photos attached below.

IMG_0957.jpeg
IMG_0749.jpeg

I bought the Thule hitch mounted swingable rack (Thule 9031XT Vertex Swing Away 4 Hitch Mount Bike Carrier) on Amazon for about $500. A Tesla branded rack sold on Tesla website is also a Thule, but you don't pay for branding. It is hitch mounted and also swings away if you need to back into a supercharger in some tight spots, it's also handy when your bike handles stick out too much and you need to open the trunk. It can carry up to 4 bikes. We have 2 adult and 2 kid bikes and all fit rather nicely. The rack is about $20 lbs and is really easy to install. It also has a cable lock with key to keep the bikes secured. We've used this rack with a ski attachment for winter ski trips as well (separate purchase about $300). Some photos attached below.

View attachment 456089View attachment 456088

Thanks for sharing much appreciated. My post wasn't clear I guess I don't have a towing hitch and Tesla UK can't fit an after market one so I'm trying to find a different solution.

Tesla won't, the first party Model X hitch needs to be factory installed. However, I believe it's possible and safe to install a third party one, have you explored that option?
I have considered it but I was concerned the rear sensor would get confused or think it has an error and deactivate itself. I asked Tesla about the fireware configuration for a towing hitch (you know somewhere there is a tick box that say towing package is present) but not too surprisingly they said it wasn't possible to get this enabled.

I'd also need to read the warranty small print, I could well see this invalidating that on a 2 year old car.

That's what drove me to the idea of a rear mounted rack. I at least have a fixed spoiler so that isn't an issue.

I just bought a basic rear mounted bike rack. 6 straps. 2 up, 2 down, 2 sides.

Placed on metal gap areas under bottom of trunk, side of trunk-right below lights, and scarily on the rear glass in its gap, this one is NOT on metal but on glass.

Am a bit nervous about it being on glass.

Just drove about 30minutes, 50-70mph with 60lbs of bikes.

Seems okay. Only problem I have is top strap rubs spoiler a bit, I'm thinking of a way to pad it.

Otherwise the OBVIOUS possible problem is the glass flying off from the weight or just cracking.

I tried the gap for falcon wing doors as mount point but it's very small gap and nervous about the doors not closing in well. Don't want to screw up those...

Any advice, tips, suggestions. Besides installing a hitch and getting a hitch mount. $2000.

Pics attached.

939AD8B2-E86A-4B49-B8E2-D71644FC2D2E.jpeg

Attachments

• 666C4F60-ACD7-413C-8B4C-1C64DB9C0F27.jpeg
    666C4F60-ACD7-413C-8B4C-1C64DB9C0F27.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 108
  • A7E7A380-8586-41BB-B1F6-FEDA44117C46.jpeg
    A7E7A380-8586-41BB-B1F6-FEDA44117C46.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 810D8C05-7EDF-4E1C-84E3-4340E9AEFC27.jpeg
    810D8C05-7EDF-4E1C-84E3-4340E9AEFC27.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 110
I have a model X without the towing hitch. When I contacted Tesla about an after market hitch they informed me that this “wasn’t certified in the EU”??? With the Falcon doors a roof mounted rack seems incredibly risky, that leaves a rear mounted rack as the only viable choice.

I’ve tried looking on the internet, I don’t want to just buy a “universal” one untested. Thule specifically state on their website when you search for a model X that they don’t recommend a rear mounted rack. UK customer service is, well UK customer service at the moment.

Has anyone actually done this already? I only need to transport 2 adult bikes, 3 would be great as one day my son’s wont fit in the boot but might have swapped the X by then.

Thanks.

When I bought our first Model X, they had just switched (in the US only, apparently) to providing the hitch mount as standard. Unfortunately the production line didn't get the word and mine didn't have one. The service center ordered the parts and was able to install it there in a day. It does not have to be at the factory only. Unfortunately it sounds like there is an issue with EU certification, but I'll bet your car has all the right mounting points under the rear diffuser. Maybe it's possible to order the OEM parts from the US yourself and get a 3rd party to install them? Aftermarket is possible, but watch out for the mounting. I've seen some alarming pictures of early Model S vehicles where the owners mounted a steel hitch to the aluminum frame, which over time results in dissimilar metal corrosion if not properly isolated from each other.

Best of Luck!

I know this treat is old, but I just bought the Drawtite hitch, they have very detailed instructions on the installation and it appears very easy to install for the DiYer. Drawtite makes a hitch just for the Model X that is around $250.

I have seen this on another Model X it that person said they did not have a tow bar originally installed, all the holes are already available, and it only requires removing metal beam that is currently in place.

I should have this in and installed by next weekend.

I use the 1upUSA bike rack. Works great with with X and tow hitch but here is a pic of it on our old MDX. View attachment 548352
I just ordered a 1UP and it is in transit. Did a lot of research. I have a heavy e-bike so I got the Super Duty in black with an add-on so I can configure it for either one or two bikes. This seems to be a quality rack that mounts bikes super fast with no contact to the frame. Not the big name but USA made and does very well in face-to-face reviews with the big names. No plastic. Solid.

I just ordered a 1UP and it is in transit. Did a lot of research. I have a heavy e-bike so I got the Super Duty in black with an add-on so I can configure it for either one or two bikes. This seems to be a quality rack that mounts bikes super fast with no contact to the frame. Not the big name but USA made and does very well in face-to-face reviews with the big names. No plastic. Solid.

I assure you that you won’t be disappointed with it.

I just bought a basic rear mounted bike rack. 6 straps. 2 up, 2 down, 2 sides.

Placed on metal gap areas under bottom of trunk, side of trunk-right below lights, and scarily on the rear glass in its gap, this one is NOT on metal but on glass.

Am a bit nervous about it being on glass.

Just drove about 30minutes, 50-70mph with 60lbs of bikes.

Seems okay. Only problem I have is top strap rubs spoiler a bit, I'm thinking of a way to pad it.

Otherwise the OBVIOUS possible problem is the glass flying off from the weight or just cracking.

I tried the gap for falcon wing doors as mount point but it's very small gap and nervous about the doors not closing in well. Don't want to screw up those...

Any advice, tips, suggestions. Besides installing a hitch and getting a hitch mount. $2000.

Pics attached.

View attachment 548235
I was looking into getting a hitch for bike rack for 2-3 bikes but came across this post. Can you point me to which mounted bike rack you purchased? I have not been able to find out how long those upper straps are for any of the racks I am looking at, and am wondering if it would be long enough for the length on model X. I have a 2017 Model X with sadly no hitch and my kids are coming to that age where I need to take their bikes to local parks but cramming the bikes inside is not the best way so far.

I would be VERY nervous about hanging a bike rack off of the back of the tesla. Not only can the clips chip or damage the glass but if the straps slip down under weight, they might impinge on the rear wing and break it, and those are VERY expensive to repair.

Until I get a bike rack, I just put the bikes in the back, folded down middle seat.

I would be VERY nervous about hanging a bike rack off of the back of the tesla. Not only can the clips chip or damage the glass but if the straps slip down under weight, they might impinge on the rear wing and break it, and those are VERY expensive to repair.

Until I get a bike rack, I just put the bikes in the back, folded down middle seat.
Doesn't tesla sell a bike rack on their site? Wouldn't that be safe to use?

The difference is that the bike racks safe for Tesla fasten to the trailer hitch in the back below the bumper and nothing attaches to the hatchback. The ones that make me nervous are the ones that clip to the top edge of the hatchback and have bumpers that rest against the back of the car.

images

I was looking into getting a hitch for bike rack for 2-3 bikes but came across this post. Can you point me to which mounted bike rack you purchased? I have not been able to find out how long those upper straps are for any of the racks I am looking at, and am wondering if it would be long enough for the length on model X. I have a 2017 Model X with sadly no hitch and my kids are coming to that age where I need to take their bikes to local parks but cramming the bikes inside is not the best way so far.

It was a basic one I got from Walmart I think. Was like $50.

I actually gave up on it as it seemed to risky being held on the glass. On the few short trips I did it seemed okay, but too nerve wracking. Shlepped the bikes in the actual car the rest of summer.