Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear of the car getting quickly dirty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Have tried to research that topic in the forum but didn't find it! Might be a lack of vocabulary in English to describe what I would like to understand!

I own a 90D ocean blue, and I find that the car gets very quickly dirty in the winter. Especially on the rear part (trunk and license plate).

Do you guys notice the same? Is there an official accessory or a DIY to make that would significantly help that issue?

Thanks!
Max

... the car gets very quickly dirty... Especially on the rear part ... Is there an official accessory or a DIY to make that would significantly help that issue?

Yes. The solution is to accessorize one of your hands with a microfiber towel or other cleaning cloth. Accessorize your other hand with your favorite paint-safe cleaning fluid. Spray cleaner onto your dirty car with one hand and wipe the car with the cleaning cloth that is in your other hand.

I believe if you try this the car will become less dirty.

YMMV

No matter what you use, if you clean it every day or every few days without first taking steps to remove the dirt without rubbing, you'll create swirls no matter what no rinse solution and microfiber towel you use.
I wouldn't say that's true. You have to use your judgment. If you have just a very thin layer of dust, a quality quick detailer and plush MF will do the trick. A bit thicker, consider the waterless wash like UWW+. More than a few days, better use a rinseless wash with thick MF.

You can in fact keep your car clean and swirl free taking the right steps and using good judgment.

The way the car is aerodynamically designed, air passing over the body and along the sides has a full release as it passes the rear. This creates a low pressure area on the vertical rear surface. Air flow against the hatch, rear bumper area is very calm compared to the lip of the hatch.

Solution would be to add accessories that add more air disturbance in the rear of the car. But that defeats the purpose of the design.

Most aerodynamically designed cars have this side effect. It's very common.

There's an old thread on Model S' mud butt. It's a side-effect of the aerodynamic design apparently. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/38924-Dirty-Butt
It's more that the rear of the car is not aerodynamically designed, but the rest is. That means the air flows smoothly up to that point, and then gets sucked up against the flat rear. That said, nobody has yet managed an aerodynamic rear end for a car that isn't horrifically ugly, so I'm ok with the trade off.

I notice the wheels get dirty really fast, too. I think it's the dirt that's responsible. And driving.

I use a spray bottle of distilled water ($.67/gal), spray, spray again to let the coarser dirt rinse off a bit, and wipe gently with a MF towel. If you don't rub, the wax doesn't get swirls.

Then, a spray carnuba in water, on another (dedicated) wax MF. Two towels. Two spray bottles. And guaranteed you'll look like a Tesla Nerd.

Takes about 2 minutes. Or you can do the whole car while you supercharge.

Modern aerodynamic cars use the kamm back effect rather than a long rear taper (see the DS-21 for a long rear taper before kamm back was discovered). This has the effect of pulling the dirt to the rear.

I wouldn't say that's true. You have to use your judgment. If you have just a very thin layer of dust, a quality quick detailer and plush MF will do the trick. A bit thicker, consider the waterless wash like UWW+. More than a few days, better use a rinseless wash with thick MF.

You can in fact keep your car clean and swirl free taking the right steps and using good judgment.

It's all a matter of what level of swirling and how quickly it builds up over time is acceptable to you. My level of judgement means I take precautions that you probably don't fee are necessary.

Touching your paint with anything that results in moving that thing across the surface of the paint will eventually cause swirls no matter how careful you are.

My washing steps are:

• Out of direct sunlight either early in the morning or dusk unless it's a cool cloudy day.
  • Pre-soak by pressure washing exterior with 3000 PSI pressure washer (1 gallon used)
  • Pre-soak with car wash fed through pressure washer on low pressure mode (1/2 gallon used).
  • Allow to soak for 5 minutes. If it's really cold outside, 10 minutes.
  • Pressure wash off pre-soak (1 gallon)

At this point, pretty much anything you can see has been removed.

The next steps used to involve using three 5 gallon buckets (1 for wash and 2 for rinse) with grit guards and 3 or 4 microfiber mittens, but even this introduces risk and it wastes water and it takes more time than what I do now.

• Now I use 14 microfiber mits in a clean bucket with a 1/2 gallon of water and wash concentrate. So rather than using 3 or 4 mittens and rinsing every few panels, I use one mitten for a panel, turn it, do another panel and then throw it in an empty buck. I then grab another mitten and move on. This way there are no rinse buckets filled with 5 gallons each and there's no need to rinse and touch the next panel with a mitten that has been rinsed in water that might have a few bits of dust on them. They are used once and go into a bucket.
  • Do wheels with microfiber towels labeled for wheels. Never mix these with mittens or towels that have touched paint.
  • Pressure rinse (1 gallon)
  • Pull car in to garage and close door quckly as air filters have been screaming to clean the air.
  • Waffle towels to dry.
  • Compressed air for seams. If water comes out from that, only pat dry as the water from seams might have debris, dirt, etc and water that runs down the paint from a seam needs to be pat so there's no chance of scratching.

Never wash the towels and mittens that touch the paint with anything that has touched the wheels. Label mittens used on the paint around the wheels wells. These can't ever be used on the other panels.
Never wash the towels that have touched the wheels BEFORE the towels that have touched the paint. Always do them after. This allows enough regular clothing loads to get rid of any residual break dust.
If you mess up and mix wheel towels with paint towels/mittens, then you have to throw those away so don't do it.
Never heat dry the mittens and towels. This will ruin them.

When washing, use light pressure. Never use firm pressure as this will scratch your paint a little no matter how clean and dirt free your paint already is.

Last edited:
Touching your paint with anything that results in moving that thing across the surface of the paint will eventually cause swirls no matter how careful you are.

"moving that thing across the surface" includes rinsing a surface with water. Pressure washing is *especially* likely to scratch a surface - it seems more abrasive to me than simply spraying a surface with a waterless wash, allowing to soak, and then gently wiping with a fresh microfiber and frequently turning the towel. This assumes of course we are not talking about caked on mud or road splatter, bugs, etc.

I would love to see a controlled experiment where someone took two swirl-free cars of the same paint type, and then spent months either doing a wash routine like yours vs a waterless wash routine such as I just described - and then photographed the results under fluorescent lights.

I'd recommend adding one final extra step. We all know that driving the painted surface in an uncontrolled environment, it will bombarded with the soot, dust, O2, NO, CO2 CO molecules, etc. To avoid the sand paper effect across the surface, once the garage doors, car cleaned and air dried, one MUST leave the car in the garage until the next wash. :biggrin: