TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear passenger able to open door even when locked

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by gdouglas70, Jun 24, 2018.

1. gdouglas70

gdouglas70 Member

When driving today my rear passenger was able to unlock and open the door while we were driving. The lock icon on the screen showed that the doors were locked. We tested this a couple times. I would think when in "D" and lock is set to Locked, the rear door would not be able to unlock from the interior. Anyone also able to do this? Is this the expected functionality or a glitch?

2. TT97

TT97 Member

Sounds like every car I ever owned. You can turn on child lock it you don't want them opening the doors.

• Like x 2
  3. PessimiStick

PessimiStick Member

That's my experience as well.

4. gdouglas70

gdouglas70 Member

I think what makes the M3 unique though is the single button that sits right on the hand grip making it quite a bit more prone to open. Typically on other cars you may have an actual lever to pull that is on the door not in in the arm rest.

5. silentsnow31802

Ive had passengers in the front and ive tried to open my driver door while the car was in motion and could not. Have not tried the rear doors. I would be concerned if someone was able to open a door while the car was moving being the location of the open button. Someone pushed it once thinking it was the window button.