TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear passenger door opens unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by sxnahm, Aug 6, 2016.

1. sxnahm

sxnahm Member

I recently had my car given its annual service, during which they updated the software to 2.28.60. Shortly after the service I started noticing that the left rear door would pop open at different times. Most often it will do it when the car is unlocked and the handles present. However, one time it did it when an autopark completed (hmm, I guess the handles present then too).

I have a service appointment for Tuesday to look into it, but in case it's related to the software updated I wanted to mention it here. It is intermittent -- doesn't always happen. I was able to catch it on video, though:

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. JPP

JPP Active Member

...bet you have a failing/out of adjustment exterior door handle. When you go into Park, and the handles extend, if the handle moves just a bit too far out (or is out of adjustment) it will hit the microswitch and pop open the door. Should not happen when driving. Unlikely related to software. Service center will adjust/replace the handle as appropriate. Been there...done that.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

You have courage to park so close to other cars with your beautiful blue S.

4. sxnahm

sxnahm Member

Just had the service visit today, and they told me that the latch mechanism failed and they had to replace the handle assembly.

So not a software issue.

FYI, the car is 13 months old -- a little early for this sort of failure, I think.

5. chillaban

chillaban Member

If it's any reassurance: I've had 3 other non-Tesla luxury cars before my Model S, never kept a car more than 2 years, and can tell you an hour's worth of stories about how they've all been in the shop for various issues during that short course of ownership.

Unfortunately I think it's just a fact of life that stuff breaks on a complex car, no matter who makes it. And one failure doesn't necessarily imply another failure.

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

The early builds (2013) had more problems with the extending-retracting handles. Revised handles much better. You can still have a 1-off failure. I would not stay awake at night worrying about it.