Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear passenger door pops open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 Model S P85 – passenger rear door unlocks and pops out

Whenever the car is put into park, or unlocked from the outside via keyfob, the right rear door pops open just a little. I get an alert that the door is open and I have to either open and close it, or if I’m outside, I can just sort of shove it closed.

Any ideas why this would happen, and more importantly, how to fix it?

Does it make the motor noise like when you pull on the inside of the handle like it thinks the door handle is being operated like normal? I have a 2013 P85 and the front passenger door does this from time to time but its very rare. I had it professionally detailed earlier this year and my wife commented the other day that its been a while since she saw this happen. The door handles are touch sensitive and ours are the older design (none of my door handles have failed after almost 10 years and 160K miles) so I wondered if oil/dirt or something binding in the door handle causes it to think it needs to open.

Reactions: Bizarrkley_2
Does it make the motor noise like when you pull on the inside of the handle like it thinks the door handle is being operated like normal? I have a 2013 P85 and the front passenger door does this from time to time but its very rare. I had it professionally detailed earlier this year and my wife commented the other day that its been a while since she saw this happen. The door handles are touch sensitive and ours are the older design (none of my door handles have failed after almost 10 years and 160K miles) so I wondered if oil/dirt or something binding in the door handle causes it to think it needs to open.
No, that's not it. But thank you for the suggestion. If put it in park, or walk up the car, the handles present like normal. Then that door "pops" open about 1/4 - 1/2 inch but is still holding (it's not fully released). There's no door motor noise.

2014 Model S P85 – passenger rear door unlocks and pops out

Whenever the car is put into park, or unlocked from the outside via keyfob, the right rear door pops open just a little. I get an alert that the door is open and I have to either open and close it, or if I’m outside, I can just sort of shove it closed.

Any ideas why this would happen, and more importantly, how to fix it?
I have that same exact thing happening to my front passenger door. Did you ever find an answer to this?????