TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear passenger headrests

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Flapjack, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Flapjack

Flapjack Member

Has anyone found that being unable to adjust the rear passenger's headrests annoying?
    On my test drive (while my wife was having her drive) I found the rear headrests really uncomfortable for my height.
    We also have a Mercedes CL & Audi 5 and both have adjustable rear headrests.
    Forgive me if this was only a limitation of the version we were driving.

2. BertL

BertL Active Member

Yes, I find it annoying, but it was a design choice by Tesla to have stationary headrests front and back, with both regular and next gen seats. It didn't stop me from ordering a MS, as I find compromises of some sort with every vehicle I've ever purchased, and the headrests were not enough to hold me back -- they may be for some others.

3. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

I had some concern about the size of the middle head rest, would be nice if that one was removable, but oh well. Using side mirrors and rear view camera seems fine once I get used to the new approach.

4. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

I thought head rests were just to prevent hyperextension during a collision. Do people actually use them during normal sitting? Seems that would be a odd sitting angle. Just curious.

5. BertL

BertL Active Member

I think perhaps for people that put the seats back to rest on longer journeys make more use of the headrests... Of course, our MS back seats don't do that like some other luxury sedans, so it's a mute point. ;)

6. Flapjack

Flapjack Member

The problem I had with the rear headrests was that they held my head uncomfortably forward of a natural seating position. If I were seated there in a long journey, I'd have to put my head to one side or the other.

7. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Flapjack, take an airline neck pillow with you.

8. Flapjack

Flapjack Member

Better yet, drive the car!

9. Barry

Barry Member

When I first got the car, I found it very annoying. I can't believe they didn't make the middle head rest, at least, removable. I've gotten used to it over time. Also, on those occasions I have the back seat down to carry something bulky, I have a "whoa moment," actually being able to see out the window :smile:

10. Flapjack

Flapjack Member

Reminds me of a scene from I think a "Canon Ball Run" film where at the start, I think an Italian driver (should have been English) in a red E-type Jaguar convertible, rips off the rear view mirror and says to his girl, "What is behind us is of no interest!"

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

My problem with the rear seat headrests is that they are there at all. I'd rather have them be adjustable, so I could remove them and see better out the rear. Worst case is you have them in the frunk or truck (my Fusion's are in a closet at home). I was a little dismayed neither choice allowed for removal; ESPECIALLY with the center one. I cannot believe you need the 5th seat THAT often. Yes, the rear camera is nice, but as I drive my eyes are always moving; windows, gauges, mirrors to improve situational awareness and is one of my few remaining issue with the Model S.

12. Flapjack

Flapjack Member

Well said.
    Hope Tesla follows these threads.

13. David29

David29 Member

I agree that the headrests should be adjustable, front and rear, and that the rears make the already-inadequate rearward view even worse. But I am learning to live with them as is (what else could we do?).

More serious, I think, is that I think or suspect the headrests are inadequate from a safety standpoint. they are shaped such that your head would easily slide to the side in a collision, versus being "cradled" as headrests in some other cars would do. Plus, the headrests are so narrow that they do not prevent your head from sliding to the side and then falling or snapping back -- exactly what they are supposed to prevent. The headrests in my last several cars were convex and thus would "capture" your head and make it hard to slide past the headrest, and were wide enough that you could not fit your head between the headrest and the doorpost.

What I do not know is what the rules are -- I assume Tesla meets the rules in both Europe and the UK and I assume and hope that this means the headrests are safe, contrary to my fears....Presumably serious deficiencies would have shown up in crash testing.

14. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

That was from Gumball rally when the character Franco was talking to his partner in a Ferrari. Gumball rally and Canon ball run should never be confused :smile:

15. Flapjack

Flapjack Member

#15 Flapjack, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Ha! �
    If you've got the VHS tape, you really need to get out more ☺ :wink: :smile: :biggrin:

16. Lauren

Lauren Member

This one is driving me crazy. I don't frequently take passengers in the back seat so I saw no need for the nicer bucket seats in the back. Now I'm regretting that decision simply because I have terrible vision with that center seat headrest blocking what seems like 1/3 of my window. The number of times I will probably drive a 5th passenger in my car is next to 1 per year, tops...

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I suggest you keep the rear view camera image at the top of the center display at all times. It's the greatest rear view "mirror" ever. It covers the rear quarter blind spots quite nicely. I acknowledge that it is not useful in the rain. But other than that it's excellent. I don't use the rear view mirror in my S.

18. Flapjack

Flapjack Member

I agree will all comments about the middle headrest but if that could be removable / adjustable, all should be. I've seen rear headrests which can be adjusted down to seat back height. Can't recall what car/make but thought it an elegant design feature at the time.

19. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I do during the day, but the glare on it at night makes it useless. All I see is a blob of headlights merged together.

20. f-stop

f-stop Member

+1, this is what I do. though I agree with others that at night it's not as useful.
    even without considering the rear centre headrest, rearward visibility in the Model S isn't great. Plus the aerodynamic side view mirrors are tiny compared to my previous cars. So I find the rear camera is a big help to keep an eye what's behind you and in the blind spots