Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear passenger side window opening/venting slightly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so this is a weird one and I was wondering if anyone had experienced or heard of similar.

Basically four times now since I've had my SR+ (for a month) the rear passenger side window has been down by 1-2 inches. The first time I only noticed when washing the car and took a sponge to the area and noticed water going inside...! The second my neighbour alerted me, and twice more since I've noticed more noise than usual when driving off down my road and it's been the window slightly open again, latest was this morning.

I've been putting it down to me accidentally opening it slightly whilst putting the front windows down in the warmer weather and then not realising to close it again, but the occurences are pretty frequent and I was wondering if it's a bug that needs reporting? The gap isn't as much as is created when you "Vent" via the app which looks like 3-4" if you include the overlap.

I'm trying to remember to check the window every time I leave and return to the car but I just keep forgetting!

I have had this happen lots but it’s seemingly random windows.
I reported it to Tesla and they told me that it was me activating the switch. It kept happening and I kept reporting to be told the same until I suggested that if there is a fault then it could be with the fact that the switch is registering when it shouldn’t.

I also monitored the times I would use the car and there was one time that it definitely wasn’t me, I.e I checked it as I got out of the car last thing at night, and it was open when I woke in the morning. the seemed to spur them on to order a part but then lockdown happened.

I also got a trial to teslafi which now alerts me to windows open more than five minutes.

Have you tried the window recalibration routine as per the manual? May not make any difference but worth a try.

Done that now, thanks.

Does it look like the same amount of drop as if you were opening the door?

Perhaps the car is "seeing" the handle switch being triggered, and is dropping the window as if the door was open.

No, it's marginally less than that I think but couldn't say for sure.

This has happened to me SO MANY TIMES I have lost count. I’ve actually taken to checking my windows (usually the rear passenger) EVERY time I leave the car now. Before, I would notice the sound of wind while I was driving, or notice it when walking back to my car from the grocery store (then worrying someone could have broken in or tossed a cigarette inside (that actually happened to me with my Fiat sunroof).
Anyway... It is in fact me doing it.
The controls for the windows are (in my design opinion) horrible. They are SO flat you don’t even notice you have triggered them with the edge of your hand when you enter/exit or even just resting your arm. If they were ever-so-slightly recessed, it would prevent most of those incidents. Of course that might lot look so ... minimalistic, and that seems to have trumped the practicality.

I've got a MS 85 loaner at the moment, the drivers side does this. On this particular car it seems that opening the door sometimes opens the window by about 2", and other times the window just moves down a small amount for the door to open / close. If it opens to 2" it stays like that until I notice it, get back in the car, and close the window properly.

Didn't realise this was a common problem until I saw this thread - I just assumed "loan car, bit shonky"!