Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear passenger unbuckled alert with seats folded down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I have the rear seats folded down in the Y and have a light weight on it (like a box of books), I get frequent flashes on the MFD saying that the middle passenger (or sometimes a side passenger) is unbuckled. Its very annoying because even if I swipe the alert away, going over a bump causes the alert to re-appear.

I have an appointment scheduled with tesla service to investigate, but they want to charge $100 to look at the issue to determine if its something thats covered under warranty (and hopefully waive that fee if it is).

Does anyone else have this issue? I would assume there should be some kind of sensor that disables that seat belt alerts if the seat is folded down.

Same and mentioned it at service this week. They said they “found a loose clip under the rear seats and that may have fixed it, but have escalated to engineering as well.” Happened on the way home, so looks like they don’t know how to fix yet. Mine doesn’t require anything but the weight of the seats themselves. Warning rapidly appears and disappears consistently when going over dips/bumps in road

Still a problem. Went looking for posts on this and adding my observation here.

I prefer having my back seats down instead of up. My solution was to buckle the center belt (I see that suggestion above).

HOWEVER, you leave it that way for a while and you end up with what appears to be permanent damage to the center section (seats have been up for a couple weeks).

tesla-center-rest-damage-sm.jpg

The buckle is not at all flexible and not forgiving.

tesla-center-seat-belt-sm.jpg

I have not yet tried the suggestion to mark it as a child car seat. Is this a permanent solution or do you have to do this every time you get in the car?

If not "permanent", I don't think this is acceptable.

My 2 cents - my MY VIN (048XXX) 17K miles, is driven 99% of the time with the back seats down flat. That's because we load the car up many many times to the gills with heavy stuff and never have we had this warning. I sat in the center back seat the other day and the seat belt notification came on, so the system is working properly.

Leads me to think that there is a problem with you're cars and you should pursue the issue with Tesla, you should not have to "trick" the car into behaving properly.

Reactions: Z_Lynx