Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear passenger window exploded.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

Six days ago, around lunchtime, my rear passenger window exploded. There was hardly any glass inside the car, the bulk of it being on the floor outside. See image. Obvioulsy no-one was in the car and the Ring doorbell, and my next door neighbours, shows nothing suspicious. Autoglass are fitting new glass on Friday, but windows shouldn't break like this so I popped into Tesla Guildford who didn't have much to say, other than contact Tesla UK. I did that and have heard nothing back. Any thoughts? Should I go back to my local Tesla and be firmer with them?
Cheers.
Tesla.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Unlike tough, laminated windshields, automobile side glass is designed to shatter like that (craze cracking) in the event that a person is trapped in a vehicle. First responders carry a little tool like an automatic punch to crack the glass. After it is cracked it will fall to pieces when the slightest pressure is applied. Perhaps someone threw a small stone that hit your window and then bounced off but had enough force to start the cracking.

The window is designed to drop about 1 inch when the door is open. It is tied to the puddle light under the door. If for some reason the puddle light is inoperative the window will not drop when open. Closing when fully up may cause this. Look under the for to see if puddle light on when open.

Six days ago, around lunchtime, my rear passenger window exploded. There was hardly any glass inside the car, the bulk of it being on the floor outside. See image. Obvioulsy no-one was in the car and the Ring doorbell, and my next door neighbours, shows nothing suspicious. [...]Any thoughts?

My initial though - look at who of the neighborhood kids got BB gun for a present recently.

Side mirrors really don't break without external impacts. But when they break, they usually shatter completely, similar to yours.
I would take a closer look on the ground for impact projectiles.

HTH,
a

Reactions: Lindenwood and rlsd
Hi all.

Six days ago, around lunchtime, my rear passenger window exploded. There was hardly any glass inside the car, the bulk of it being on the floor outside. See image. Obvioulsy no-one was in the car and the Ring doorbell, and my next door neighbours, shows nothing suspicious. Autoglass are fitting new glass on Friday, but windows shouldn't break like this so I popped into Tesla Guildford who didn't have much to say, other than contact Tesla UK. I did that and have heard nothing back. Any thoughts? Should I go back to my local Tesla and be firmer with them?
Cheers.
View attachment 929472
Any sentry mode footage?

FYI Tesla have covered this in the past under warranty if you can demonstrate (with video evidence) it exploded with no outside impact.

It's not unusual for automotive side glass to explode randomly given it is tempered.

I'm also curious how a regulator can "explode".

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
FYI Tesla have covered this in the past under warranty if you can demonstrate (with video evidence) it exploded with no outside impact.

It's not unusual for automotive side glass to explode randomly given it is tempered.

I'm also curious how a regulator can "explode".
Just got back from Autoglass. The window regulator has exploded and that's what shattered the glass. Tesla service booked for Monday.

Hi all.

Cheers.
View attachment 929472
Heat and pressure build up. Happens all the time.

Fascinating, so the regulator somehow malfunctioned, putting pressure on the glass causing it to shatter. I'll keep that in mind, if I ever remove the interior door panel to adjust the glass, to take a close look at the regulator.