Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear passenger window open notification - false alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting a notification on my phone that the rear passenger window is open. I did close from inside the car, do see any gap either but the alert keeps coming from the app. Could this be a faulty sensor? any one had this issue?

Reactions: MrWattson
I am getting a notification on my phone that the rear passenger window is open. I did close from inside the car, do see any gap either but the alert keeps coming from the app. Could this be a faulty sensor? any one had this issue?

there are a lot of posts popping up lately related to this. Mine included. It seems to be due to the cold weather. Frameless windows are the reason. You can calibrate your windows and it might go away but it might come back. It doesn’t appear to be a real problem. The windows aren’t really open. Do a quick search and you will see tons of posts and how to calibrate the windows.

The weather has nothing to do with this, unless sunny, clear days in the 60s-80s counts as "weather." :cool: This is a software bug.

It's interesting that I've seen this on my wife's M3 (2020.48.10) but not my MY (2020.48.10). And as I'm typing this, 2020.48.12.1 just became available on the M3. And the window down warning is on (car is in a garage at 68F). :D

I'm hoping this bugfix will address this.

Reactions: NJEV-Don
I had this message a couple of days ago. Drove aroung in 30/40 F for about hundred mile that day, and a while after my MY was parked in my garage the message appeared on my phone. I had started charging the car after I got home, but the windoe msg came up about a half hour later.

I tried to reset and the alert never came back. I also agree that it has nothing to do with the cold weather.

From the driver side controls, hold the window up for 5secs, hold down for 5secs and then up for 5 secs. This should reset the sensor.

I tried to reset and the alert never came back. I also agree that it has nothing to do with the cold weather.

From the driver side controls, hold the window up for 5secs, hold down for 5secs and then up for 5 secs. This should reset the sensor.

I reset the windows using the able procedure and it stopped.

I did reset the windows, but the alerts came back once I used the rear doors.

I’ve had this problem (among others) since my Y was delivered. At first, I was told it was a bug with the app. That didn’t make any sense to me considering how random it was and how seemingly easy it would be to fix the app with an update. After a month of it occurring, I noticed that the rear windows were moving down slightly after being rolled all the way up. They aren’t opened and appear to be full closed but aren’t. It’s almost like a micro adjustment. But to be clear, they are moving slightly down after being fully closed. This obviously debunked the “it’s a bug in the app” excuse and I made a service appointment for them to look at a sensor that could be causing it.

When I arrived at my service appointment, my contact person told me he found a bulletin explaining the issue. According to him, when the ambient temperature drops below a certain temp the car will automatically slightly lower the window on any rear door that has been recently used to prevent it from freezing in the fully closed position. He made it sound like it was a more recent feature to help prevent windows from being shattered when frozen in place and hitting the frame of the car when people open and close them. This sounds plausible as I have heard of that happening to people and the rear window with the issue is usually the one on the drivers side. I use that door much more frequently to get stuff on and out of the car.

Next time you get the alert, go out to your car and open up the front door, what the rear window as you roll it up with the controls. See if it moves up slightly and back down. That’s what mine does. Hopefully, the service guy wasn’t making it up and it’s something they have programmed in to overcome the design issue of the frameless windows not clearing the body of the car when frozen in the fully closed position.

My driver's window, when you push the switch down the auto down and up feature doesn't work now. Also, watch and app tells me the driver's window is open. I have a service tech coming to look at it. Only had the car 2 months...

Calibrate your window to fix. Assuming it still moves up and down if switch is held. With door closed, hold switch for down and wait for it to go down and stop and continue to hold switch for say 5-10 seconds when stopped at bottom. Release switch. Now hold switch in opposite direction to close and keep switch held after it stops at top for 5-10 seconds. Release switch. Should now be calibrated and one touch up or down should be working. This is common, search for other references to window calibration.

• Informative
Reactions: astrobill
I've been messing around with window messages on MS 2019 for months. Rests, recalibrates etc. Seemed to clear messages by following recalibration but would go back to false open messages as soon as I used the windows normally.

Try closing normally, but holding the window switch longer (just a second or two) so the motor will get the stalled loading. For me at least this has fixed open messages so far.

Try closing normally, but holding the window switch longer (just a second or two) so the motor will get the stalled loading. For me at least this has fixed open messages so far.

Not sure if this is practical when the windows open/close when the door is opened/closed, like grabbing packages or groceries from the back seat. Just got the latest software update and had one window open alert today. Hit "close" in the app and hasn't popped up again...today.

Calibration of the window fixed the issue for me. But you are right, now I am observing that the window goes all away up and comes down slightly after closing the door. It makes sense since the glass can hit the frame when closing (when froze), hopefully it is intentionally programmed. I didn't see any air leak inside due to this slight adjustment though.

Calibrate your window to fix. Assuming it still moves up and down if switch is held. With door closed, hold switch for down and wait for it to go down and stop and continue to hold switch for say 5-10 seconds when stopped at bottom. Release switch. Now hold switch in opposite direction to close and keep switch held after it stops at top for 5-10 seconds. Release switch. Should now be calibrated and one touch up or down should be working. This is common, search for other references to window calibration.

Additional tips on that calibration procedure here:

Tesla window is open and how to reset it

Quoting the site below (this only sometimes works for me, by the way):

"Tesla window open alarm and how to reset it
Occasionally things go wrong and need resetting and owners of Tesla's are familiar with the need to reset the computers. However even that can not cure all problems.

One such problem which can be often easily fixed by the owner is the window either not closing correctly or appears closed however the car reports the window is open and alerts the owner.

Car doors with frame-less windows like typically drop the window slightly when opening and then once the door is closed, the window closes itself. These windows are found on a number of Tesla models. It does this for a couple of reasons but the main reason is the window drop ensures the window is clear of the body work when opening, and secondly the contact it makes with the rubber seal is better if the window closes slightly when shut rather than simply closing onto the rubber seal.

If the car gets confused or loses track of the window position, then a couple of problems can occur. One is the window is left slightly open which can let in rain if not be a security issue. The other extreme is the window appears shut, but the car thinks it is open which can trigger a warning notification to the owner, and in extreme cases may even prevent the car alarm arming. The cure for both is the same.

How to reset the window position.
The fix is really easy.

• Ensure the window is free from obstruction such as ice build ups near where the glass and rubber seals meet.
  • The door needs to be closed
  • Press the window up button and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Press the window down button and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Press the window up button and hold for 5 seconds.
Some people have reported the above procedure only works if performed from the drivers seat using the combined window control pad rather than the individual door control pads on the individual doors.

This is all you should need to do to reset the window. If the issue persists then you will need to raise the issue with Tesla."

Last edited: