Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rear rattle found, now to fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To all of those searching for a rattle in the back, that is not the "paper bag" sound, I found the are where mine is coming from. Not fixed yet, and my appointment is 8 days away, but there is hope.

In the rear cargo area, passenger side, in the cubby on the side of the car, if I firmly tap on it, I recreate a plastic on plastic rattle sound. If I hit it kinda hard, there is an additional springy type sound do it. I tried on the driver side and it was silent. I rode in the back car go area while the wife drove (yea, not safe, but the noise was going to drive me crazy), and the noise is definitely coming from that back right cargo cubby area.

I think something is loose behind the carpet/plastic panel, I believe the sub and amp are there, so it could be related to that.

for those of you with a rattle in the back, maybe this is the same for you

No to wait until the 11th to get it looked at. ugh.

• Informative
Reactions: Mercedes fan
Interesting. I've been trying to get a rattle to be fixed as well, and after 2 services, nothing has changed.

The sound may be what you're hearing. It doesnt' sound like a plastic rattle, but if you're on a bus, when it hits things you hear this metal squeaking, like the money machine is bouncing on the metal joints it's held in place on.

It only happens if the bumps are big enough.

I'll try to figure out if it's the cubby as well, but I always assumed it was my backseat.

Reactions: james912
Interesting. I've been trying to get a rattle to be fixed as well, and after 2 services, nothing has changed.

The sound may be what you're hearing. It doesnt' sound like a plastic rattle, but if you're on a bus, when it hits things you hear this metal squeaking, like the money machine is bouncing on the metal joints it's held in place on.

It only happens if the bumps are big enough.

I'll try to figure out if it's the cubby as well, but I always assumed it was my backseat.

I thought it was my backseat as well. I can reproduce it quite easily just by hitting the back cubby (doesn't have to be hard). The harder I hit it, the more spring like it sounds. It could be two pieces of sheetmetal hitting or something. Goes in to service on tuesday so hopfully they can figure it out.

I thought it was my backseat as well. I can reproduce it quite easily just by hitting the back cubby (doesn't have to be hard). The harder I hit it, the more spring like it sounds. It could be two pieces of sheetmetal hitting or something. Goes in to service on tuesday so hopfully they can figure it out.

What part of the back cubby do you hit exactly? Sorry, I'm just trying to see if I can find the spot too so I can let the service people know. It seems like we have to do 80% of the work on fixing things haha.

What part of the back cubby do you hit exactly? Sorry, I'm just trying to see if I can find the spot too so I can let the service people know. It seems like we have to do 80% of the work on fixing things haha.

I won't be able to post a picture until tomorrow, I'll see if i can explain it.....the right side cubby near the hatch (not the under trunk, but the cubby that is always open on both sides) hit the plastic right above where it meets the carpet, pretty close to the top of the cubby area where you see a little vent area cut out in the plastic. basically have your fist an inch or so below that vent and hit towards the tailight. So not straight back, a little off to the back right side.

not sure if that makes sense or not, its very easy just not easy to type out!

I won't be able to post a picture until tomorrow, I'll see if i can explain it.....the right side cubby near the hatch (not the under trunk, but the cubby that is always open on both sides) hit the plastic right above where it meets the carpet, pretty close to the top of the cubby area where you see a little vent area cut out in the plastic. basically have your fist an inch or so below that vent and hit towards the tailight. So not straight back, a little off to the back right side.

not sure if that makes sense or not, its very easy just not easy to type out!

Model Y - back seat's small rattle noise
Is this similar to what you had?

My "back seat rattle" is fixed. Both rear doors had multiple clips that were not engaged. The tech removed and re-seated the doors.. He did add some foam tape to reduce noise transfer because it was easy to do with the panel off. Doors sound much better on closing. The tech and I would have sworn it was the seat. My wife said it was the doors! She wins!