TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear reflectors replaced with led

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by rekoh, Mar 9, 2015.

1. rekoh

rekoh Member

Anyone tried these out ?

saw these on ebay

Red Lens Rear Bumper Reflector LED Tail Stop Brake Light For 2012+ Tesla Model S

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... Can't post a link from eBay from my iPad? Maybe someone can help with that... Pictures show it better.

2. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

#2 Paul Carter, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    2X Red Lens Rear Bumper Reflector LED Tail Stop Brake Light 2012 Tesla Model S | eBay

Interesting, looks cool, but would it be legal?

One source where it seems iffy: RCW 46.37.030: Visibility distance and mounted height of lamps.

3. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Not sure why you're concerned with Washington law in BC but I think you're citing the wrong bit of the code.

I don't see anything in RCW 46.37.030 that would prevent the use of something like this unless you're arguing that this impairs the effectiveness of the other lights, which I doubt.

However, I'm not sure it meets this RCW 46.37.050 (2):

4. Paul Carter

Thanks, thought I'd copied both parts. Was just trying to show some states have these type of regulations to consider.

5. GreenT

GreenT Member

#5 GreenT, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Ok, weird. Msg Nr. 2 in this thread ... why, all of a sudden, are the action "buttons" (Reply, etc.) to the left?

And under this message too? But not the message immediately following 2.

And having added this line ^, the formatting is back to normal?

6. Paul Carter

Maybe something odd with what I tried to paste on my iPad, will try and cleanup my post.

- - - Updated - - -

cleaned up my post. Something was weird for sure.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I had actually thought that was how they were going to implement the mandatory rear fog lights in the EU. Instead, they went with the lame approach of replacing one of the two white backup lights with a red one.

8. tmyl21

tmyl21 Member

Interesting. I never payed much attention to the rear reflectors on the MS even after hand washing countless times. So what is the purpose of these low rear red reflectors anyway on the Model S?

9. Paul Carter

To show vehicle's presence and width. Most vehicles low beam travelling behind someone (or approaching a stopped vehicle) will cause a reflection. This aids the driver to have a better understanding that a vehicle is in front of them and roughly how wide it is, where it is on the road, and judge how much distance, if its stopped or moving, etc.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

It's a requirement that cars have red reflectors like this. Cars parked at the side of the road can bee seen at night, and cars with lights turned off or burned out etc. can be seen. Some cars have the reflector incorporated into the tail light assembly itself while others are separate like the Model S. It is also a requirement to have side reflectors as well (yellow at the front side and red at the rear side).

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

It does remove the mandatory retroreflectors unless this product has that incorporated into the design.

12. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Call me crazy, but my Model S doesn't have yellow side reflectors at the front.

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Now you're going to make me go outside and look, but I'm pretty sure the Model S incorporates it into the lower fog/cornering light/accent light assembly. The rear ones are obvious to us because one opens up to expose the charge port.

14. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

No need. That's where they are. They're incorporated into the foglight assembly.

15. AmpedRealtor

OMG I never even noticed them until I looked just now. Thanks!

16. tmyl21

tmyl21 Member

Thanks for the clarification as to the purpose of these low mounted reflectors. I can't seem to envision anything similar on other vehicles though like this and I guess where I'm going is what other makes or models have their own stand alone positioned and mounted reflectors just as the Tesla MS?

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

In my casual observations, about half of the vehicles I see have the rear retroreflector separate like on the Model S and the other half have it incorporated into the rear tail light assembly.

My former Cadillac CTS was like the Model S:

cadillac-cts-v-coupe-black-diamond-edition-20121.jpg

My wife's Pontiac Vibe has it incorporated into the tail light:

2003-pontiac-vibe-4-door-hb-tail-light_100289800_m.jpg

18. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

#18 scaesare, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    That add needed to show... ya know... some of them ACTUALLY INSTALLED in an S.

(even if they do break regulations and I never buy a set... I just want to see what they look like installed, not just a shot of them loose next to a stock Model S image (and a rendered on at that....)

19. AmpedRealtor

Is it even legal to put lights there?

20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I think it is. In fact Cadillac replaces them (located similarly to the Model S) with rear fog lights in the EU market, but I think they combine the retroreflector and fog light into the assembly as opposed to just the reflector in North America. The problem with these eBay items is that they don't seem to have a reflector incorporated into the design, so there might be a concern there.