Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear roof crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yet another glass problem. This crack appeared a couple of days ago- no impact or anything. It looks like it runs right along the heating element- I did have a very cold day this week near 0 degrees F when I ran the defrost at full blast. Also odd thing- you can't feel this crack from the outside- only the inside.

Does anyone know if the rear glass can be epoxied? I would be fine with having that done. I don't really want to wait weeks or months for a replacement.
IMG-2741.JPG
IMG-2742.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
I called service on this- their response was I can try to take it to a service station (3 hours away) to see if they'll confirm/admit it's a defect in which case they'll replace it for free, but if they say no, then I have to do it with insurance. Haven't decided if it's worth my time yet.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
I called service on this- their response was I can try to take it to a service station (3 hours away) to see if they'll confirm/admit it's a defect in which case they'll replace it for free, but if they say no, then I have to do it with insurance. Haven't decided if it's worth my time yet.
It looks like it runs right along the heating element. Can’t imagine that they wouldn’t cover that as a defect. Windows aren’t supposed to crack when you turn on your rear defroster. And if it does I’d say it was a defect.

I had a pretty significant crack in my back windshield that Tesla ended up repairing as part of the warranty. It was not an impact crack, just showed up one day and then spread. The only issue was it took 4-5 weeks to get the part in and then schedule a service appointment. I think it would have cost maybe close to $1,000 to repair for the windshield and service, if they hadn’t covered it.

It looks like it runs right along the heating element. Can’t imagine that they wouldn’t cover that as a defect. Windows aren’t supposed to crack when you turn on your rear defroster. And if it does I’d say it was a defect.

That's what I would say as well- seems obvious, but the 6+ hour travel to bet that this works is dicey. Not to mention they will probably not have the replacement in stock or be able to turn it around same day...

My rear glass developed a crack recently as well... Relatively small, but I can't recall if it's near the defroster.

I sent a note to Tesla about that and persistent unrelenting bluetooth issues. Unfortunately they told me to reset the touch screen for the latter (thanks, tips), and to go through my insurance for glass since they don't cover it. It's definitely a defect and not a result of impact (too low / awkward of a spot), and it's not on me to fork out a couple hundred bucks every time this happens (assuming it could well happen again).

I have responded with as much... We'll see what they come back with. At least my SC is only a few blocks away.

That's what I would say as well- seems obvious, but the 6+ hour travel to bet that this works is dicey. Not to mention they will probably not have the replacement in stock or be able to turn it around same day...
Unfortunately their process is that they have to confirm if it is a stress or impact crack. Once they confirm that it is a stress crack, then will order the glass. Most likely they won't have the glass in stock but you can call and check beforehand to see if they can take it in same day!

Had one very similar to this last September. Called the Service Center and they had one in stock and saved it for me. He said that if it was a stress crack it would be covered. Took the car in and he ran his finger over it from the outside and could not feel anything. It was replaced under warranty. Good Luck to you.

I had a very similar crack develop in the center piece of glass, Tesla confirmed it was a defect and replaced same day. I would take it in even if it is 6 hours away and would certainly not try to poxy it. Entire glass needs to be replaced.

For those that have gotten the glass replaced... have you ever had the crack happen again? I'm worried it is just a commonality with the glass Tesla uses and that it could possibly re-appear after using the defroster again.

Just had the glass replaced by Tesla Highland Park in Chicago. Process was smooth and professional, no issues. A pleasant change. Also had the Performance badge installed. Unfortunately someone else at the same place had driven almost 3 hours for their 'scheduled maintenance' and was turned away. I can't believe they couldn't call them ahead of time to tell them not to come! One step forward...